It is currently 05/24/24 6:54 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Page 1 of 1   [ 6 posts ]
 Post subject: Advice re Windows 7
PostPosted: 06/12/11 11:10 am • # 1 
Administrator

Now that Microsoft stopped supporting XP this past week, I'm finally seriously looking at upgrading to Windows 7 ~ mostly because I do NOT like the idea of not getting security updates ~ I have several questions and am hoping our tech gurus can/will answer them ~ in non-tech English, please ~

I ran the Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor ~ virtually everything [devices and programs] comes back 'compatible' except for Microsoft .NET Framework 1.1 ~ that is not compatible with Win7 ~ the only detail given is 'this verson of the program will not work with Win 7' ~ can I upgrade that?

I know I need to do a back-up ~ can I do that onto a thumb drive?

I have plenty of free space which would allow me to run Win7 in 'XP Mode' ~ does that make sense since I dearly love XP?

I know there are conflicting reports about Win 7 ~ some people love it, others hate it ~ but I am really NOT comfortable not getting security updates to XP ~ I'm thinking of upgrading to Home Premium, which is the cheapest [@$110], because I know that can be upgraded if there are other options I later decide I want ~

Any help/suggestions will be greatly appreciated ~

Sooz

PostPosted: 06/12/11 12:44 pm • # 2 
Editorialist

I would tell you to switch to Ubuntu or some other Linux OS (it's FREE! and no security worries) but the only downside is that you won't be able to play your Big Fish games because the games developers don't write their games for the Linux OS.  Although I am getting some of my game fix taken care of by playing online games.  

PostPosted: 06/12/11 12:48 pm • # 3 
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows/help/learn-how-to-install-windows-xp-service-pack-3-sp3

You still have support for XP SP3 until April 2014. If I were you, I'd wait until either a) there's another service pack for Win 7 (SP1 is out) - or - b) wait until you buy a new machine with Win 7 SP1 installed. That's what I'm doing because there is still a lot of hardware out there that was designed for XP but running on Win 7 machines and there are problems. So... wait until there's only Win 7 compatible hardware before you buy a new box.

PostPosted: 06/12/11 1:07 pm • # 4 
Administrator

Thanks, both pic and Sid ~

Sid, I'm VERY happy to know I don't have to act quickly ~ the announcement I read this past week said support for XP ended that day ~ I don't remember reading/hearing that support for XP SP3 still had a few years to go ~ but that makes me happy ~ thanks for the link but I do have SP3 ~ and are you saying that even tho my programs and devices came back as 'compatible', they might not be in reality? 

I also just checked my programs and while I do have
Microsoft .NET Framework 1.1 [with various updates], I also have .NET Framework 2, 3, and 4 ~ what are those programs? ~ and is .NET Framework 1.1 [or 2 or 3, for that matter] still required?

Sooz

PostPosted: 06/13/11 1:21 am • # 5 
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.NET_Framework

I guess you can say that .NET Framework is what makes Windows work with other software and makes different programming languages "speak" to one another. If Win 7 reports that .NET Framework 1.1 isn't compatible, any program that requires it won't run in Win 7 - but - since you have newer versions of .NET Framework installed, those programs should still be OK because one of the other things .NET Framework does is ensure "backwards compatibility".

I just provided the link to show you that support for XP hasn't dried up completely.

PostPosted: 06/13/11 2:53 am • # 6 
Administrator

Thanks, Sid ~

Sooz

Page 1 of 1   [ 6 posts ] New Topic Add Reply