It is currently 05/05/24 2:37 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next   Page 1 of 4   [ 86 posts ]
 Post subject: Yuku hiccups
PostPosted: 07/19/11 3:16 am • # 1 
Administrator

This thread is for us to report any yuku-related 'hiccups' we encounter ~ slow or sluggish posting/navigating, search or images or other functions not performing properly ~ even 'how to' questions ~

Most functions have settled back into a 'norm' since the big move a couple weeks ago ~ there are still some problems with .jpg images ~ there is a work-around for that [which I can post if anyone is interested] to use until the problem is fixed ~

I know a few members are experiencing intermittent problems with accessing chat ~ I posted the problem in Andrew's Member Support group this morning, and will post any resulting suggestions ~ and I will follow up with submitting a ticket to yuku support ~

Sooz

PostPosted: 07/19/11 4:12 am • # 2 
Administrator

I've been thinking about the problem some have accessing chat ~ it doesn't seem likely to be something wrong with the chat module itself since some of us can access chat with no problems ~ this chat is 'flash' based ~ and 'flash' is an Adobe product ~ so that leads me to suggest that the first step is make sure your Adobe updates are current ~ I also just spent some time poking around both Andrew's Member Support group and yuku support announcements ~ a yuku support announcement update included the following:

Quote:
Remaining known issue: 
Some people are unable to access chat, though they see others in chat who can access fine.
Should this happen to you, please go here:
http://www.macromedia.com.../settings_manager07.html

You will see Website Storage Settings panel in a box towards the centre of the page.
Delete the sites out of that window.

And in discussing this update, Andrew posted the following reassurance:

Quote:
It's just the same as when something goes wrong and you need to clear your (browser) cache to get a good fresh copy of whatever. With Flash, things often get stuck either in an outdated version or a broken one. The only solution is to delete your flash cache.

Personally, I run without one. i.e. I permanently have no sites listed because I store nothing.

There is absolutely no harm in deleting them all. Someone on dial-up may choose to be selective about their deletion but that would be a matter of their choice with bandwidth being at a premium.

Just go in and delete all sites. No need to close browser or reboot. Just go and try.
Personally, I would make sure my Adobe updates are current, and then I would follow the instructions in the yuku support announcement update ~

Sooz

PostPosted: 07/19/11 5:13 am • # 3 
Administrator

Seems I'm on track with my suggestions in post #1 ~ here's my original question to Andrew:

Quote:
Andrew, we have a couple of members who are having intermittent problems accessing our chat ~ some can enter if they try to enter a number of times ~ some get hung up at the 'loading' screen ~ the strange part, at least to me, is that the problem is intermittent ~ I will suggest again for them to clear their cookies ~ but is there any further advice you can offer? ~ thanks ~

Here is Andrew's reply:

Quote:
Not really. Would this intermittency maybe be at a peak time?

One thing I can say though is I have my flash cache set to zero and have done for years. Barring any system errors, I haven't had any trouble, including when something has been changed.

In the Global Settings Manager: 
http://www.macromedia.com/support/documentation/en/flashplayer/help/settings_manager03.html#117498 
I have the slider set to None and "Never ask again" checked. The other two boxes are unchecked.

My theory is that if nothing is cached, nothing can harm me, I always have an up to date version and I never have to clear it. Prior to me setting it to zero - which was security prompted - I used to run a very small cache, which would virtually self-flush.

My suspicion though is that it relates to the retrieval of account detail and the login process. It *might* just be helpful if they ensure they are active on yuku before loading the chat. By that, I mean generally visiting forums and topics while logged-in. This is purely guesswork on my behalf because I haven't a clue how the system works. 
And here is my follow-up reply:

Quote:
Thanks, Andrew ~ they are all active posters, so I don't think your 'account detail/login process' concern applies here ~ I did suggest they make sure their Adobe app updates are current ~ and, after poking around in this thread, I c/p'd the yuku support update on clearing the flash cache and your following reassurance that that will not create new problems ~ I'm going to c/p your most recent reassuring reply as well ~ thanks again ~
Sooz

PostPosted: 07/21/11 3:13 am • # 4 
Administrator

Everything was fine earlier this morning but I have not been able to access/navigate/post anywhere in yuku since about 830a [central] ~ I did manage to get a help ticket into yuku support after several tries ~ at the risk of jinxing myself, everything seems to be moving again ~ please post any yuku-related problems you might be experiencing ~ and please remember to bookmark and use our back-up group, VoCII, to report any problems when you cannot access yuku ~

Sooz

PostPosted: 07/21/11 7:38 am • # 5 
Yeah... it was the same old bullshit again this morning. I didn't say anything because I think I might be getting used to it.

PostPosted: 07/21/11 8:05 am • # 6 
Administrator

Please please please always mention it, Sid and all VoC members ~ either in this thread [if you can access it] or in VoCII ~ I don't know why, but not all yuku-related problems affect all users the same way ~ and we can't report a problem if we don't know about it ~

I got a reply to my support ticket that several people reported trouble on this server at about the same time today [from about 830a til about 1000a, central] ~ the yuku techs are monitoring the server, but have not found a cause yet ~

Sooz

PostPosted: 07/21/11 3:17 pm • # 7 
Perhaps an injection attack on the MySQL database? Any new server is bound to have security holes that have to be plugged up tight.

PostPosted: 07/27/11 2:22 am • # 8 
Yuku sucks - again.

It's becoming a waste of time.

PostPosted: 07/27/11 2:40 am • # 9 
Administrator

Yes, I'm having a tough time this morning too ~ VERY slow/sluggish ~ I'll go check to see if there are any announcements ~ if not, I'll put in a support ticket ~

Sooz

PostPosted: 07/27/11 4:44 am • # 10 
Administrator

I got a message sent to yuku support, but have had no reply yet other than the standard 'your message has been received' email ~ I was able to access the Member Support group and the problem seems to be sporadically system-wide ~ I'll post any response I get from yuku support ~

We have 'gold' [no ads] status til early/mid December ~ if these kinds of problems continue, it might be time to begin thinking about going 'independent' [no host service] ~ there are big pros and big cons for doing so ~ we've got some time before we make any decision ~

Sooz

PostPosted: 07/27/11 6:24 am • # 11 
Administrator

Just got 2 replies from yuku support ~

First:
Quote:

Hi there Sooz,

We are experiencing problems across the network. The system has been taken down for a fix, we hope to have it back up and running shortly. Things were real slow earlier, and the only way to fix is to take the servers down.

Please accept our apologies for this downtime. I know it's been a rough ride, this server switch.

And a few minutes later:
Quote:

Update, we just brought the system back up and are testing, looking good so far [img]/domainskins/bypass/img/smileys/smile.gif[/img]

At this moment, posting and navigation is very quick ~ and hopefully the fix [whatever it was] will stick ~

Sooz

PostPosted: 07/28/11 12:40 pm • # 12 
Editorialist

Yuku seems to have decided to re-organize a group's display preferences.  Where once you could find twenty topics per page, they have now reduced them to ten.

PostPosted: 07/28/11 1:15 pm • # 13 
Administrator

laffinalltheway wrote:
Yuku seems to have decided to re-organize a group's display preferences.  Where once you could find twenty topics per page, they have now reduced them to ten.

pic, we still have more than 10 ~ our default and my personal default are set to 25 per page and that's what I'm seeing ~ check your account preferences and your group preferences ~

Sooz

PostPosted: 07/29/11 3:31 am • # 14 
Editorialist

Thanks, Sooz.  i mentioned this at Member Support and Andrew gave me the same advice.  I didn't know that the preferences on my profile applied to forums and not the profile.  Image

PostPosted: 07/29/11 5:35 pm • # 15 
Editorialist

Tried to get into chat just now...I get to a page that looks unfamiliar, a "redirect" window keeps popping up,and it seems to want me to log in?

PostPosted: 07/30/11 1:09 am • # 16 
Administrator

Chaos, try to enter chat whenever you read this ~ if the same thing happens again, then you might need to clear your 'flash' cache ~ see posts 1 and 2 above ~ let us know if you have any questions/problems doing that ~

Sooz

PostPosted: 08/01/11 2:31 am • # 17 
Editorialist

It worked just now, but I didn't do anything differently. Must have been gremlins.

PostPosted: 08/03/11 1:33 pm • # 18 
Editorialist

I don't know if anyone here is having this problem: I can't access any Yuku groups.  I keep getting a white page with a 502 bad gateway error.  It started at about 4:00pm, my time, and only happens when I use Firefox.  The only reason I'm able to post now is because I'm using a different browser - Opera.  I've submitted a help ticket.

PostPosted: 08/03/11 1:39 pm • # 19 
Administrator

I've gotten several '502 Bad Gateway' error messages since late afternoon, too. using IE8 ~ but when I click the same link [either to VoC or to a forum or thread in VoC], it goes thru the 2d time ~ I had no problem accessing Andrew's Member Support group earlier, but that's the only other group I've accessed since this started ~ I'll be interested in whatever reply you get, pic ~ if it continues for me, I will file a ticket too ~

Sooz

PostPosted: 08/03/11 2:38 pm • # 20 
Quote:
The 502 Bad Gateway error displays inside the Internet browser window, just as web pages do.

Cause

The 502 Bad Gateway error is an HTTP status code that means that one server received an invalid response from another server that it was accessing while attempting to load the web page or fill another request by the browser.

Resolution

The 502 Bad Gateway error is usually a network error between servers on the Internet, meaning the problem is not with your PC or Internet connection.

More moving hiccups.

http://pcsupport.about.com/od/findbyerrormessage/a/502error.htm

PostPosted: 08/04/11 4:25 am • # 21 
Administrator

I'm still getting 'bad gateway' error messages this morning ~ if I click a link or button a 2d time when the error message appears, I can usually get to where I'm trying to get to ~ but I have lost a couple of posts this morning ~ good thing I've trained myself to copy a post before I click 'post' ~

No reply to the ticket I sent to yuku support last night, but I just updated it to reflect the continuing problem ~ I'll post any reply I get ~ I also remind everyone to check our back-up group at VoCII for info updates if/when you can't access yuku ~

Sooz

PostPosted: 08/04/11 8:57 am • # 22 
Administrator

After exchanging a few emails with yuku support, here is the last message I just received ~
Quote:

Thanks for your reply. Sooz. There were some big backup scripts running, it is a one time thing (backing something up in preparation of the old servers being turned off). I think this is what was causing the issue. I'm trying to get a hold of someone to confirm that.

That makes sense to me ~ hopefully, things will smooth out now ~ I'll post any 'confirmation' I receive ~

Sooz

PostPosted: 08/18/11 4:03 am • # 23 
Administrator

There is a post in the yuku 'announcements' forum that the search function is being worked on on the c1 [our] server ~ the message, posted last night, said the work shouldn't take long but search is still not working as of a few minutes ago ~ I'll keep watching and will post here again once it's back up ~

Sooz

PostPosted: 08/22/11 9:51 am • # 24 
Administrator

Obviously, yuku [across the whole platform] has been a nightmare to post or navigate today ~ I could not access VoC at all for a couple of hours, then could access but not post, and finally could access and post ... but at an extremely slow pace ~ things seem marginally better now, altho still slow ~ please let us know if any of you are still having any problems beyond general slowness so that I can add that to our support ticket ~ there has not been any recent update on status ~ if/when there is, I'll post it here ~

Sooz

PostPosted: 08/22/11 10:52 am • # 25 
Editorialist

Starting at about 5:00pm EST, the speed picked up a bit.  As of now, much better.  Fingers crossed...

Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next   Page 1 of 4   [ 86 posts ] New Topic Add Reply