It is currently 03/29/24 5:40 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Page 1 of 1   [ 6 posts ]
 Post subject: Phishing scams
PostPosted: 08/14/11 8:49 am • # 1 
Administrator

After a long 'dry spell', I'm getting a LOT of phishing scams in my hotmail account [which hotmail automatically puts in my 'junk' folder and gives me an option to report as 'phishing scam' ~ but I note when I do mark a message as a 'phishing scam', it is only moved to my 'delete' folder] ~ I also note that if I open a message, the email address in the message header is generally VERY different from the sender's name ~ iow, the email address shown in the header appears to be a hijacked real email address ~ and the email address in the header is always different than the email address specified to use in the message body ~

I have a hazy recollection that these messages can be forwarded intact [the header is apparently the most important info] to a government agency ~ maybe the FCC ~ does anyone else remember [or know] that?

Sooz

PostPosted: 08/14/11 12:43 pm • # 2 
Administrator

I did some research ~ forward all phishing emails to spam@uce.gov ~ that's the FTC division that deals with email scams ~  

Sooz

PostPosted: 08/15/11 5:23 am • # 3 
Editorialist

I thought it was just me, that maybe some setting was different after bringing this laptop back to life.

The increase seemed to happen right after the latest "new and improved Hotmail!" crappola, which was-I think-2 weeks ago? 

PostPosted: 08/15/11 12:27 pm • # 4 
Administrator

Drop hotmail and switch to G-Mail. Google gives at least a little bit of shit about the security of their users.

PostPosted: 10/13/11 5:38 pm • # 5 
jabra2 wrote:
Drop hotmail and switch to G-Mail. Google gives at least a little bit of shit about the security of their users.
I've been using gmail since it was first released, and since switching to gmail, I never looked back at any other mail I ever used. While it's absolutely terrible to get any help at all when you need help with google products, I do have to admit that gmail is superior over other mails, at least that is my humble opinion. 
When I bought this computer, I didn't even set up outlook, I use webmail 100% of the time.

Quote:
the email address shown in the header appears to be a hijacked real email address

That is real sad and it happens a lot. It's called spoofing and it's ridiculouisly easy to do. The problem with stuff like this is that you can just google it, and it is there for anyone to see.. they'll tell you exactly how emails get spoofed, so anyone with not-so-good intentions can find out how to do it just by googling for instructions.
The way I see it, spammers and scammers are doing something against the law and should be punished accordingly.
I especially hate it when scammers start their mails with "God bless you" or something similar..  I'm not real religious, but at least leave god out of your scam mails! Just the other day I got one of these "OMG my husband died and left me a fortune and now I'm dying too and I wanna give you my money".. (well not in these words, but you get my drift)  I googled the first part of the email and came up with tons of results. I copied many of the links and replied to the email, giving the scammer the links and saying oh sheesh, lookit that, maybe you shouldn't use these generic scam mails because anyone with half a brain can find them on the internet and will know you're a scammer. He didn't reply [img]/domainskins/bypass/img/smileys/smile.gif[/img]

Post subject: Re: Phishing scams
PostPosted: 08/27/12 9:07 pm • # 6 
Editorialist

oh no Jab, i must use IE 9 and hotmail. I had it when it was msn.com mail and its the only email address i have ever had. I also have only had one user name in all my time online. I cant change. or i refuse to change same thing. LOOL

Page 1 of 1   [ 6 posts ] New Topic Add Reply