It is currently 06/16/24 6:55 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Page 1 of 1   [ 9 posts ]
PostPosted: 03/30/09 11:42 pm • # 1 
What is the most painful thing you have ever experienced?

Mine was a cracked rib while having the flu.

PostPosted: 03/31/09 12:04 am • # 2 
Hmm. Would have to be a renal x-ray I had following surgery to remove a tumour. It was 10 days post-op. The technician injected me with the dye, then fastened a strap across my fresh (clips removed the previous day) scar, tilted the table and left the room. He didn't come back for 10 minutes, by which time tears were raining down my face ...

PostPosted: 03/31/09 2:18 am • # 3 
Wisdom teeth extraction in the old days (and remember I had a 9 pound 15 ounce baby without painkillers).

PostPosted: 03/31/09 3:21 am • # 4 
I have a pretty high pain threshold but an impacted eardrum done for me.Image

On a regular (but temporary), basis, leg/foot cramps are worthy of mention. Image
I find swearing loudly and repeatedly, while hopping about the room with a limb at an odd angle, eventually scares them away.

PostPosted: 03/31/09 3:36 am • # 5 
I had to undergo some pre-op tests before having gall bladder surgery and the one that hurt the most was when they threaded a catheter up a vein in my thigh to my heart to check for blockages. I had to lay on a cold, hard slab that was too narrow for me and remain motionless for the thirty minutes or so that the procedure took to complete. Now while the procedure itself was not very painful, having to lay flat and being unable to bend my knees to relieve the pressure on my back left me in excruciating pain. The doctors gave me some painkillers which did absolutely zip. I'm usually a pretty stoic person when I'm in pain but this time, the tears were flowing. To add insult to injury, at the end of the test, as the doctor pulled out the catheter, I felt like he was ripping my skin apart. He just kept saying "I don't understand, you shouldn't feel a thing!".

PostPosted: 03/31/09 3:36 am • # 6 
Editorialist

Skull fracture.

PostPosted: 03/31/09 4:53 am • # 7 
Can't think of too much. Probably just the time I smashed my finger in a barn door hard enough to eventually have the nail turn purple and fall off. That throbbed pretty good for a few days until the nail finally loosened enough for all the fluid building up behind it to escape and relieve the pressure. I should have just popped it with a needle, but was stubbornly hoping I wouldn't lose the nail. I sprained my ankle once, and that throbbed pretty badly for a couple of days until the swelling started to dissipate (though didn't hurt at all the very first day...I had such a release of natural endorphins that I actually felt drunk with no meds at all!)

Nothing else I've done has been any worse than just smarting for a few minutes and leaving a bruise behind. I've been pretty lucky about not winding up with any serious injuries in spite of so much time around barns.

PostPosted: 03/31/09 8:14 am • # 8 
Editorialist

What is the most painful thing you have ever experienced?

You mean besides 8 years of Bush as president?

PostPosted: 03/31/09 1:39 pm • # 9 
Administrator

LOL, FF and John ~ great answers! ~ FF, not too long ago, a rotten charley-horse hit deep in my right calf and woke me from a sound sleep ~ I was hopping around, still half-asleep, and muttering every cuss word I've ever heard or read ~ or thought or said ~ so I definitely can relate to that ~

I have an occasional [like once a year] problem with my lower back that is painful ~ the muscles get very tight, throb relentlessly, and feel like raw nerves ~ you don't know which way to NOT move until you've already moved that way ~ but the worst pain I have EVER felt was late this past summer when I had an inflamed sciatic nerve ~ I could not sit and I could not walk without extreme pain ~ the only position that was tolerable [forget even remotely comfortable] for several days was lying on my side ~

Sooz

Page 1 of 1   [ 9 posts ] New Topic Add Reply