It is currently 06/28/24 7:10 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Go to page 1, 2  Next   Page 1 of 2   [ 30 posts ]
PostPosted: 04/11/12 2:35 am • # 1 
Editorialist

I was hoping he would outlive me, but fate has decided otherwise.  I will miss him, as will my companion and my son.  My dog it fourteen years old, blind in both eyes, but he was doing okay until his spine began to degenerate.  I guess from arthritis.
He is in constant pain and has slowly eaten less every day this week.  Yesterday he didn't eat at all, and he didn't drink enough.

He has pain pills but, when he is asleep, apparently he moves around in some way that causes the nerve to spasm, and he wakes up screaming.  We can't stop the pain.

I've been having medical problems of my own, which is why I haven't been posting.  My right arm is painful enough to wake me up at night, and the "normal aches and pains" have become more everpresent.  I'm sorry for not participating more.  I don't even come on to read as much as I did because I'm afraid I might be driven to respond.

And you know the kind of loooooooooooooooooooooonnnnnnnnnnnnnngggggggggg posts (raves) I find myself composing.
My arm can't handle that for a while, maybe never again.

Meanwhile, when I do come on, I always find some interesting subjects and posts.  Thank all of you who are posting so frequently.

jd

PostPosted: 04/11/12 2:46 am • # 2 
I am so, so sorry, jd.  Our pets become our family members and it is so hard for us.  You know that you gave him a good life, and he won't be in pain any more.  That won't help much now, but in time it will.

Hang in there. 

PostPosted: 04/11/12 3:49 am • # 3 
Editorialist

Sorry JD. My heart aches for you and your family. Image

PostPosted: 04/11/12 5:12 am • # 4 
Am so, so sorry to hear this.  Thoughts are with you JD. Image

PostPosted: 04/11/12 5:21 am • # 5 
Editorialist

Aw, Jeanne....I'm so sorry about all this. I know if there was any way to make the poor little guy comfortable you'd do it. It's never an easy thing to help them along to the Rainbow Bridge, but you made the right decision for the right reason. Hang in there. Image

PostPosted: 04/11/12 2:15 pm • # 6 
JD, you are doing what is best for him, not best for yourself, that is selfless love.  We would love to hang on to them as long as possible but it's not the right decision sometimes.  Image

PostPosted: 04/12/12 12:28 am • # 7 
Administrator

JD, I'm very sorry to read this ~ I know it how much it hurts ~ it's one of the reasons I don't have pets now ~ it may not ease your sense of loss but, as others here have said, you did the right thing for the right reason ~

We do miss your posting, but taking care of yourself has to come first ~ I try to never say never ~ so here's hoping your own medical problems will ease soon ~Image

Sooz

PostPosted: 04/12/12 3:03 am • # 8 
Editorialist

Oh Jeanne!  I'm so sorry.  Just rest assured you are making the right decision and are doing him a kindness.

PostPosted: 04/12/12 9:42 am • # 9 
Editorialist

You're a good heart, Jeanne. You're little dog's been fortunate to have you.

PostPosted: 04/12/12 11:09 am • # 10 
Editorialist

Thanks for your understanding and support.  I am really going to miss him. 

I would post a photo, but it appears that all of those I have were botched.  Nothing could have shown his personality.  He was a character, a little twelve pound hobo that I got from the pound.  I never understood how he had survived on his own for so long.  There was much evidence of trauma on his body at the time.

He wasn't too happy about having a home back then.  Neither was I.  I had acquired a wanderlust during my homeless period and loved living in my van and moving on whenever I felt like it.  I guess we were kindred spirits.  I guess we came to accept each other as partners in this life.

Thank you.

jd

PostPosted: 04/12/12 1:19 pm • # 11 
Editorialist

Think about it...of all the dogs in the world, and all the people in the world, somehow the two of you wound up together. Coincidence? I think not.Image  

Any thoughts on a memorial for him? Our tradition is to plant a tree. 

PostPosted: 04/12/12 5:25 pm • # 12 
Editorialist

Goomie (l) and Buddy (r), 2006  Buddy, my son's dog, was still a puppy.  He grew to be twice the size of Goomie.  Goomie was full grown and approximately 9 years old.  I am so glad my son found these pictures.

Goomie, 2011.  Wearing one of my not too well done grooming attempts.

Too early for me to think of memorials.  The tree is not the kind of thing I can do.  We rent this house, and it's complicated.

PostPosted: 04/12/12 5:47 pm • # 13 
Editorialist

OMG... with a face like that he would have walked all over me!! And that's not a bad grooming attempt at all, either. Curly coats are tricky!

Since you don't have many pictures that you like, put the word out to friends and family or anyone who might have some. (After all those years, I bet there's a few more out there.) You can make an album!

THE BEST PLACE TO BURY A DOG[/b]
by Ben Hur Lampman

"There is one best place to bury a dog.
"If you bury him in this spot, he will
come to you when you call - come to you
over the grim, dim frontier of death, 
and down the well-remembered path, 
and to your side again.

"And though you call a dozen living
dogs to heel, they shall not growl at
him, nor resent his coming,
for he belongs there.

"People may scoff at you, who see
no lightest blade of grass bent by his
footfall, who hear no whimper, people 
who may never really have had a dog.
Smile at them, for you shall know
something that is hidden from them,
and which is well worth the knowing.

"The one best place to bury a good
dog is in the heart of his master." 

PostPosted: 04/13/12 2:43 am • # 14 
Editorialist

Chaos333 wrote:
OMG... with a face like that he would have walked all over me!! And that's not a bad grooming attempt at all, either. Curly coats are tricky!

Since you don't have many pictures that you like, put the word out to friends and family or anyone who might have some. (After all those years, I bet there's a few more out there.) You can make an album!

THE BEST PLACE TO BURY A DOG[/b]
by Ben Hur Lampman

"There is one best place to bury a dog.
"If you bury him in this spot, he will
come to you when you call - come to you
over the grim, dim frontier of death, 
and down the well-remembered path, 
and to your side again.

"And though you call a dozen living
dogs to heel, they shall not growl at
him, nor resent his coming,
for he belongs there.

"People may scoff at you, who see
no lightest blade of grass bent by his
footfall, who hear no whimper, people 
who may never really have had a dog.
Smile at them, for you shall know
something that is hidden from them,
and which is well worth the knowing.

"The one best place to bury a good
dog is in the heart of his master." 

WAAAAAH!!!!!

PostPosted: 04/17/12 1:16 am • # 15 
Editorialist

Hoping every day gets a little easier, Jeanne.

PostPosted: 04/17/12 6:48 am • # 16 
Editorialist

Thanks, Chaos.  I hope the same for you.

My daughter stopped in for an overnight visit on her way home to NC from LA.  I hadn't seen her in two or three years so that distracted.  Family gossip and health issues were at the head of the discussion list.

jd

PostPosted: 04/17/12 11:02 am • # 17 
What precious pictures Jeanne.  

Seems like when it rains it pours here for us.  Last month my precious cat Hailey passed away and our son buried him in our pet cemetary and at 8:00 pm last night he was digging a grave for my husbands 13 year old Great Pyrenees who died suddenly.  We think he had a heart attack/stroke because he was out running around and suddenly lost ability to move his back legs and barely made it to the porch then died.  My husband hasn't been having a great time the past couple months with his own health issues and this loss has really hit him hard.  I don't think he slept much at all last night and was even walking around the grave all hours of the night last night.  Today he's been very quiet and has been sitting on the front porch most of the day.  I've been taking him to his doctor so many times these past weeks for more tests and more medication and I see nothing good coming from any of it yet.  So depressing for me so I can only imagine what he is really feeling.   Sorry, didn't really mean to pour my heart out here.

Jeannie, I too hope everyday gets easier.  Image

PostPosted: 04/17/12 11:40 am • # 18 
Administrator

Dee, no need to apologize ~ we're friends here ~ and friends share both good and bad ~

I hope the "dark days" are easing for everyone ~

Sooz

PostPosted: 04/17/12 12:56 pm • # 19 
My beloved Chewy died 5 years ago, and I can still break into tears about her.  Baby steps.

I am sorry about your husband's pet Dee.  I hope hubby feels better soon. Hopefully the docs find the right combo of meds for him.

PostPosted: 04/17/12 5:58 pm • # 20 
Editorialist

Dee,

I can imagine these are difficult circumstances for all of us.

I have been in a very small room with a very large Great Pyrenees and that breed takes up a lot of space in a family's life.  I cannot imagine that somehow the bare spaces with the loss of such a pet would be not easily overlooked.  I hope your husband will share the loss of this pet with his treating physician.  It has to be having an affect on his well being, or, at least, Dr. jd (the quack) imagines so.  I know the empty space of my little one is rattling my brains and attention to household tasks.

I am curious as to how old the Great Pyrenees was and how long your family had him.  They are huge dogs and the veterinarians are always saying "the little ones live the longest.  The big ones have shorter life spans. "  The vets said my little one's vital organs and all else was in great shape, it was just the pain from the degenerating spine that couldn't be fixed.

Tonight, I ordered from ebay a little stuffed white fuzzy dog, and I am going to put him to sleep on the left side of my bed, where Goomie used to sleep.  I keep waking up and trying to feel the presence of Goomie and he isn't there.Image

I feel a bit daft for doing this.  It reminds me of a skit on SNL where "the Godfather" kept petting a stuffed white cat.  But, on the other hand, being a bit daft is seeming more and more a positive goal than attempting to understand what's going on in the world.  If it is outright insanity, I don't give a damn.  I wanna look down there and see something white and fuzzy in that space on the foot of my bed, dammit.  Nobody but me sleeps in that bed  now,  so it shouldn't  create a problem for my companion or  my son.

For all of us who have lost pets recently (or ever) we can be grateful that we have had the privilege to be loved and to love in a way that only a pet can provide.  I had only one elderly relative whose dog outlived her.  And the dog grieved itself to death in a short period of time.  I guess that's why we, who can rationalize, or comprehend that they did not abandon us, can eventually make peace with the loss of the pets, who usually die first.  Although I was hoping I would die first and not have to endure the loss of Goomie, I remember his pain and how much greater, and probably longer, his pain would  have been had I gained my selfish wish.  He was only a dog.  He couldn't have understood that I didn't abandon him.

Wouldn't it be an improvement if we humans could all leave this world as a result of romping  and playing. in the company of those we love.

I know I am saying this badly, but I hope you all will understand I'm just having difficulty with this and I am trying to make it fit into some acceptable form of normalcy.    I'm sorry, Dee.  Philosophical blithering isn't very helpful.   I do hope your husband's health will improve.  I am sure this loss has added to your family's stress.  Good thoughts for all of you and tomorrow, is tomorrow, is tomorrow.

jdImage

PostPosted: 04/18/12 1:35 am • # 21 
Editorialist

That really *does* look like him, Jeanne! How clever! (And if you're "insane", well welcome to the club.)  For what it's worth, my kiddo has a stuffed stand-in for Gracie and two stuffed rotties, but they're puppy size of course. A full size wouldn't leave any room for her in bed. lol

Dee, I'm just reading about your pupper now....poor hubby. Like he needed this right now. Image 

PostPosted: 04/18/12 2:37 am • # 22 
JD- I work in the hospital on weekends and I have encountered a number of patients who have stuffed animals of their pets in their hospital beds.  Don't feel daft, if it comforts you it comforts you. 

PostPosted: 04/18/12 4:07 am • # 23 
Editorialist

When she was little, my daughter got upset with the idea of me having to sleep alone when I was on business trips and started making me take a little stuffed tiger called "Marble" with me.  I've still got that tiger and she now sleeps with me all the time.  There's great comfort when I snuggle down at night, pull her close and hold her paw as I drift off to sleep.  If I was in the hospital, she's certainly something I would want with me.

Incidentally, I'm not the only grown man who likes his stuffed critter.  It's pretty common:

http://abcnews.go.com/Travel/grown-men-travel-stuffed-animals-teddy-bears-dogs/story?id=11463664

PostPosted: 04/18/12 4:30 am • # 24 
Editorialist

Wow, Dee. I'm so sorry about your doggie! Hope things improve with hubby very soon. Image

There is nothing different between sleeping with a stuffed animal or sleeping with a body pillow, which a lot of people do. Everyone needs comfort of some kind. I think it's great! Image

PostPosted: 04/18/12 6:02 am • # 25 
I don't find anything wrong with finding comfort and enjoyment with stuffed animals either Jeanne.  I actually still have a stuffed dog I had as a young child sitting on one of our beds.  I've moved that dog, which I call Precious, from state to state.  

We got Thor ( the Great Pyrenees ) when he was approximately 2 months old according to the vet. He just showed up at our home one day and had a very hurt paw so hubby loaded him in the truck and took him to the vet where the vet fixed his paw and gave him some shots.  We advertised for two months in the local paper that we had found him and if anyone had lost him to please contact us.  We also posted a picture of him and posted around various stores locally.  After another two months hubby took him back to the vet for a further checkup and made sure he was up to date on his shots and that was 13 years ago.  At that time since we already had two chows named Thunder and Lightning, and they really got along with the Pyrenees, we decided to name him Thor as the name Thor is a god associated with thunder and lightning.

Thanks to all for your kind words. Hubby is doing somewhat better today as he actually wanted to go into town for a few items so we did that and now he's down for what he calls his "power nap".  

It's a beautiful day today so I am going to be outside some pulling weeds out of the flower beds before the rains start tomorrow night as predicted.  

Go to page 1, 2  Next   Page 1 of 2   [ 30 posts ] New Topic Add Reply