It is currently 09/28/24 3:51 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Page 1 of 1   [ 25 posts ]
 Post subject: Chaos did you read this?
PostPosted: 05/22/12 3:44 am • # 1 
This is ridiculous.  Is this what poor Odin ate???

1,000 dogs sickened by jerky pet treats made in China

By Natalie DiBlasio, USA TODAY

Almost 1,000 dogs have reportedly become sick after eating chicken jerky pet treats from China, MSNBCreports.

The Food and Drug Administration has been warning owners about continued problems with the chicken jerky strips, treats and nuggets since November.

Three of the top brands of treats cited in complaints of harm include Waggin' Train and Canyon Creek Ranchbrands produced by Nestle Purina PetCare, and Milo's Kitchen Home-style Dog Treats produced byDel Monte, MSNBC reports.

The FDA sent inspectors earlier this year to Chinese plants that make the jerky treats, but no results of those reviews are yet available, FDA spokeswoman Tamara Ward said.

Manufacturers have insisted that any illnesses are unrelated to the products, MSNBC reports.

Robin Pierre, 50, of Pine Bush, N.Y., says that Waggin' Train chicken jerky treats were responsible for the sudden death of her 2-year-old pug, Bella.

http://content.usatoday.com/communities/ondeadline/post/2012/05/1000-dogs-sickened-by-jerky-pet-treats-made-in-china/1

PostPosted: 05/22/12 9:40 am • # 2 
Editorialist

Yup. That's it. ( Waggin' Train) Image
And the store shelves are still full of it!!!
Everywhere I go, I warn people if I see them anywhere near the stuff. So far, everyone has been receptive. But the FB group I'm in has had people STILL BUY IT after being warned! It's insane!Image

Edit to add: Robin Pierre (RIP Bella)  is in the same group. They maintain a list by location so any reporters looking for a contact to do a story can find one easily.

Last edited by Chaos333 on 05/22/12 9:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 05/23/12 12:42 am • # 3 
And I'll bet it's not just dog treats.

PostPosted: 05/23/12 1:45 am • # 4 
Editorialist

Actually Sid....we do have one person who lost a kitty in our group too. But I can't remember at the moment which kind of treats they were.

Right now, puppy is stuck with baby carrots and frozen green beans for treats, but he doesn't mind. Image

PostPosted: 05/23/12 3:47 am • # 5 

Carrots and green beans NOT from China.

PostPosted: 05/23/12 4:55 am • # 6 
Editorialist

No kidding, Kath. In fact, there's a lot of stuff out there that only tells you "distributed by" or "packaged by" but doesn't tell you the origin of the contents. Not just pet stuff, either.

BTW, Waggin Train wants me to call them directly because they are "so sorry". Yeah, right. 

I had to scroll back to find which cat treats they were, Sid...

Our little Chopin died last year in August after eating Catswell (Dogswell) chicken jerky treats Made in China. We miss our boy terribly - he was only two years old...

PostPosted: 05/25/12 6:34 am • # 7 
Editorialist

The current load of insulting BS being put out by the makers of the treats is "overfeeding". That they should not be a  "primary food source". Image
Our group has been writing to retailers, and funny thing...they *all* respond with the same BS claim that the "few" known problems with the treats are "caused by over-consumption".  So we know the manufacturers are suggesting this stupidity as a response to complaints.

Not a single person in our group with a dead or sick pet overfed these things. And even if we did, it shouldn't cause death or organ failure

Several members have already been banned from the Waggin' Train facebook page. The company response has been utterly infuriating. Meanwhile, their treats are still on shelves all over the world...just waiting for the next victim to come along. The FDA can't order a recall, only the company can do it. Retailers won't pull them because "nothing has been proven". It's crazy!

PostPosted: 05/25/12 10:09 am • # 8 
Even if the total diet for the dog/cat was the Chinese product it should NOT kill the animal.   How ridiculous!!!!

PostPosted: 05/26/12 12:56 am • # 9 
Funny thing... I used to love Chinese food.

Now I don't trust it.

PostPosted: 06/01/12 1:51 pm • # 10 
Editorialist

http://veterinarynews.dvm360.com/dvm/Veterinary+news/Dog-death-leads-to-federal-lawsuit-over-chicken-j/ArticleStandard/Article/detail/775118?contextCategoryId=378
Dog's death leads to federal lawsuit over chicken jerky treats from China
Case highlights ongoing concerns of veterinarians and pet owners over FDA warnings.

A dog owner in the Chicago area has filed a class action lawsuit alleging that his 9-year-old Pomeranian died as a result of eating Nestlé Purina's Waggin' Train Yam Good dog treats. The fatality and resulting lawsuit are the most recent in a series of events illustrating the public's growing anxieties over an apparent connection between chicken jerky treats from China and a surge of unexplained illness in dogs.

According to the lawsuit, filed on April 18 in U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Illinois by Dennis Adkins of Orland Park, Ill., the dog became ill and died of kidney failure less than two weeks after consuming the treats in March. Adkins says he gave one of the treats to his dog daily for two days and that no other changes were made to the dog's diet. His other Pomeranian was not fed the treats and did not become ill. The suit names as defendants Waggin' Train LLC, the manufacturer of the product; Nestlé Purina Petcare Co., the corporation that owns Waggin' Train LLC; and Wal-Mart Stores, Inc., the distributor.

The lawsuit states that although Nestlé Purina and Waggin' Train had received complaints of more than 500 incidents in which dog treats containing chicken jerky imported from China caused dogs to become sick or die, they continued to market their product as being “wholesomeâ€

PostPosted: 06/05/12 6:38 am • # 11 
Editorialist

FYI: I sent a note to Nutrish ( made by Rachael Ray) and got a note back that all of their products are made *and* sourced in the USA. Nothing from China or anywhere else is used.

PostPosted: 06/07/12 5:33 am • # 12 
Editorialist

the problem appears more likely to occur in small-breed dogs that are fed the treats regularly or in amounts exceeding the labeled feeding recommendations. (BULLSHIT!!!!)

My neighbor's "small breed dog" who died from this was a Doberman. He had relations with a Newfoundland- you see those "pups"- they are the size of ponies.

PostPosted: 06/07/12 1:22 pm • # 13 
Editorialist

I know...it's just sad that the company keeps making the claim that only small dogs are affected, and only if their owners are idiots.

I don't think every bag is a problem....I don't even think every treat within a bag is a problem....but there's NO WAY they are going to keep track of which chicken each treat came from, and obviously some contaminated meat got through more than once. I suspect that's why testing on what's left in a bag isn't giving us any answers. I wish there was a way to send tissue/blood/urine samples from sick dogs to an independent lab, I bet that would get results!  Their lawyers are steering the ship now, too worried about liability to just admit it.

It's just a slap in the face to go to the Waggin Train FB page and see the company promoting the products as if nothing at all is wrong. To say they're "proud" of their products  and that they are "safe" with all this evidence that says otherwise....aaaagggghhhh!!!Image

PostPosted: 06/08/12 3:46 am • # 14 
Editorialist

Bravo to my FB friend Rita for doing this! It had to be so hard to talk about....but it did run on the news in her area yesterday, and if it saves one dog...it's worth it.

PostPosted: 07/16/12 4:27 am • # 15 
Editorialist

Dog owners in eight states who believe contaminated chicken jerky treats from China sickened or killed their pets are banding together in a class-action lawsuit against Nestle Purina, the maker of two popular brands of the canine snacks, and several mega-stores that sell them.

They are suing just as Food and Drug Administration officials have refused to release results of inspections of Chinese plants that make the jerky treats blamed for at least 1,000 illnesses and deaths in U.S. pets.

In a letter dated July 5, FDA officials denied entirely an msnbc.com public records request for results of the February inspections of treat plants, saying release would violate rules protecting trade secrets and confidential commercial information and that it could also interfere with enforcement proceedings.

http://vitals.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2012/07/13/12724875-jerky-treats-from-china-blamed-for-pet-deaths-owners-sue?lite&__utma=14933801.1518025071.1342448205

Gee, thanks. The FDA is also not responding to those who sent in treats for testing. Image

PostPosted: 07/16/12 7:55 am • # 16 
I just saw it as a headline on msnbc.   Great!!!!!  

PostPosted: 07/16/12 10:13 am • # 17 
"release would violate rules protecting trade secrets and confidential commercial information and that it could also interfere with enforcement proceedings."

This is a prelude to the Trans Pacific Partnership

How does everyone like the New World Order now?

PostPosted: 07/26/12 6:04 am • # 18 
Editorialist

Some interesting hours...

Last night, Rita ( I posted her story in June) stumbled upon a blog entry from April concerning the Chicken Jerky. She hit the roof, and so did I. Emphasis below mine...

Class-Action Lawsuit Filed Over Dangerous Dog Treats — Chicken Jerky

We love to give our dogs a treat for being obedient or cute, which is why it is especially sad when owners gave their dogs chicken jerky unknowingly.

According to the Chicago Tribune , the lawsuit was filed against Nestle Purina and Wal-Mart Stores Inc. and it states that both companies knew the treats were dangerous for dogs to consume. The class-action lawsuit also claims that Nestle Purina knew of more than 500 cases where a dog died or was severely sick from eating chicken jerky products made in China.

That is ridiculous! It's hard to imagine how the dog owners affected by the case must feel. However, there were reasons to suspect the treats might not be good for your canine. On every bag of chicken jerky for dogs (also called tenders, strips or treats) produced since 2007, there has been an FDA warning label and an advisory of the dangers of chicken jerky products from China.

Nestle Purina says the claims are bogus and that their products are safe to eat, but that still doesn't explain the FDA warning.

It's amazing that those kind of potentially hazardous treats get a little warning label that most owners apparently didn't see, but anything at all potentially harmful to a person has giant print meant to catch your attention. But I suppose people ignore those advisories and warnings, too …

So, what do you think? We'd love to know. Do you check the labels of warnings for the products you buy your dog? Should the FDA have pursued more action sooner or was a warning label enough?

http://blog.doggie-diva.com/doggie-diva-dog-boutique/class-action-lawsuit-filed-over-dangerous-dog-treats-chicken-jerky/#comments

There is not, nor has there ever been an FDA warning label on any of the treats implicated in what is now over 1800 complaints filed with the FDA. And to imply that countless pet owners just ignored a warning plastered right on the package is, to say the least, infuriating. The FDA issued "advisories" and "cautions" as far back as 2007, none of which were widely publicized until late Nov. 2011 and early 2012, didn't mention any products by name, basically all they said was that problems were reported, testing was ongoing and IF you did give the treats to keep an eye out for problems. The manufacturers still deny that there are any problems, refuse to recall, and claim their products are "wholesome and safe." They are still on the shelves.

So the poop hits the fan late last night, folks start posting on the Doggy Diva FB page-some posts very hostile, as you can imagine. Others tried to post directly to the blog page, but those are moderated and weren't showing up. I started digging around this morning and found that the author is not the owner of the Doggy Diva store/site/blog. She's a "professional" writer with a journalism degree who-laughably- gives other people tips on how to write with accuracy. Image

Meanwhile, there was no response at all on the blog or the FB page. So I...having many other things I should be doing today....picked up the phone and called the owner. We talked for about 10 minutes. Shortly after we hung up, she posted this:

Doggie Diva Dog Boutique I am very sorry to anyone who read this article published by Doggie Diva. I am also sorry for anyone who has lost their dog due to these jerky treats. It was not intentional to hurt anyone. I am one of the good retailers. Today I was informed that there is a mistake in the blog entry that was written about these treats. I am the owner and did not myself write this article. My writter did and I will be speaking with her where she got her facts from today. It was just a honest mistake. I as the owner, should have read the article but never did so I didn't see the error. I am sorry to everyone. The reason I had the article written in the first place was because my dog passed away suddenly and she had been eating these treats. I am retracting the statements and I will have the mistakes in the article fixed within the next 24 hours. I pride myself on my good reputation as a dog boutique retailer, it was a mistake, please understand. Thank you.

Time will tell. I also called Allison, who wrote that piece of trash...but got voice mail and left a message. Rachel, the DD owner was NOT happy when she saw some of the comments on her FB page. Deleted several. This caused a torches and pitchforks lynch mob to start forming. Image So I've spent the rest of the morning trying to mediate, asking that everyone just give the gal a chance to make things right without throwing any more punches. She *seemed* sincere to me, but I could be wrong. I shudder to think that someone may have read that blog, picked up a package of tainted treats, looked for the "FDA warning label" that never existed, and thought they were safe. A slim chance, I know...but those words may have directly lead to suffering and deaths.

In other news:

http://kucinich.house.gov/news/documentsingle.aspx?DocumentID=304018#.UA4U_g7kOmg.facebook

Washington, Jul 23 -

Congressman Dennis Kucinich (D-OH) today released the following statement criticizing the U.S. Food and Drug Administration for failing to adequately protect domestic pets.

“After a weeks-long investigative trip to China and thousands of reports of sick and dying dogs, the FDA still has no answers and offers pet owners no protection,â€

PostPosted: 07/26/12 10:21 am • # 19 
Editorialist

Score! 
17 hours after Rita found it, and 6 hours after my call...the blog has been rewritten and I think we have a new ally in the fight. It's taken up most of my day, and now I'm behind on a number of things. 

Not a day goes by that I don't still feel guilt about Odin. Today, I feel like I scored a point in his honor. 

PostPosted: 07/26/12 1:21 pm • # 20 
I can understand the guilt.  I felt and probably still feel guilty about Chewy and how I handled her pemphigus treatment.  However, we loved them and they had wonderful lives until they got sick.  We did the best we could.

If you can help one family and save one doggie.   Well, you know the drill........

PostPosted: 07/26/12 1:37 pm • # 21 
Editorialist

I guess we'll always have that nagging little guilt monster pop out from time to time, kath. What if, what if, what if.....

I think our group has three or four dogs with ties to these treats who are sick right NOW because they're still being sold without adequate warnings. And every time someone new shows up, it's the same thing...."I had no idea there was a problem with these products!" Some make it...some don't...and I go along for the ride on that emotional roller coaster every time. 

PostPosted: 08/03/12 7:54 am • # 22 
Editorialist

Chaos333 wrote:
Score! 
17 hours after Rita found it, and 6 hours after my call...the blog has been rewritten and I think we have a new ally in the fight. It's taken up most of my day, and now I'm behind on a number of things. 

Not a day goes by that I don't still feel guilt about Odin. Today, I feel like I scored a point in his honor. 

You know, it's normal to feel guilt but I assure you, you did everything you could possibly do for Odin, and you did not do anything that you knew would hurt him.  You definitely scored a point in his honor.  I'm sure Odin has always been very proud of you and the way you cared for him.

PostPosted: 08/06/12 3:25 am • # 23 
Editorialist

Aw, thanks queen! I'm not going to give up the fight. I still try my best to warn anyone who will listen ( and some who don't really want to...lol...) because no pet should suffer or die from a treat.

Saturday, we were at a party. Ran into a guy I know and remembered he's the manager of a big retail pet store. As soon as I said "chicken jerky" he rolled his eyes.."Oh, don't start on me about that...".  He proceeded to tell me that "Those stupid people fed their dogs treats instead of food, it says right on the package not to give them too much!". I said "That's a LIE made up by these companies. Two of those treats in two days wound up killing our 110 pound dog, so I guess I'm stupid too?"

His jaw dropped a little. I educated him. Image But of course, until the bigwigs at corporate give the OK, or the FDA finds the source of the problem, the stuff stays on the shelves. Those companies sent letters by fax to all the vets in the country saying the problem was overfeeding, their treats are "100% safe if fed as directed", and implied that there was a campaign against them by a bunch of crazy people.

PostPosted: 08/07/12 9:14 am • # 24 
The only thing the animal should suffer from too much treats is an upset stomach... period.

PostPosted: 08/22/12 8:46 pm • # 25 
Editorialist

http://vitals.nbcnews.com/_news/2012/08 ... -show?lite

Chinese government officials overseeing plants that make chicken jerky pet treats blamed for thousands of illnesses and deaths among American dogs have refused to allow U.S. inspectors to collect samples for independent analysis, newly released records show.

LOL- I just got scolded by Purina Waggin' Train for posting that on their page.

Page 1 of 1   [ 25 posts ] New Topic Add Reply