It is currently 06/16/24 6:56 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Page 1 of 1   [ 10 posts ]
PostPosted: 04/06/09 5:26 am • # 1 
Administrator

Are your 2008 federal/state taxes prepared and filed?

Sooz

PostPosted: 04/06/09 6:54 am • # 2 
Filed, mailed and got the bill! (former IRS employee)

PostPosted: 04/06/09 7:04 am • # 3 
glitterypickles539 wrote:
Filed, mailed and got the bill! (former IRS employee)

LOL!

PostPosted: 04/06/09 10:00 am • # 4 
Editorialist

Yes, about a month ago.

PostPosted: 04/06/09 10:48 am • # 5 
Just got them done this weekend and mailed out this morning. They were pretty straightforward this year, and I knew I'd either have to pay a little or would only get a tiny refund (usually I have to pay a little extra Federal, and get a little extra back on State, so it comes out about even), so no point rushing to get it done early. Next year, I should get a healthy refund between the tax credit for new home purchases and all that nice deductible interest, so will want to file as soon as I have all my documents in my grubby little paws so I can get that money into MY accounts instead of letting the government keep earning the interest on it.

PostPosted: 04/06/09 11:13 am • # 6 
A better approach would be to adjust your withholding so the government doesn't get it in the first place and you can earn interest on the savings.

We almost always file extensions for both out corporate and our personal returns. I have an appointment with our CPA on Wednesday to get the process started. This year I think we'll be filing a little earlier than normal, because we usually end up waiting until the extension expiration date but won't have the need to do that this year.

PostPosted: 04/06/09 12:01 pm • # 7 
I actually preferred it back when I was a post-doc and they didn't take any withholding so I had to pay quarterly estimated taxes. Just getting to hold onto it a little longer was nice. Nowadays, interest rates are so pathetic, it hardly matters.

PostPosted: 04/06/09 1:39 pm • # 8 
Most of our income is self-employment so we do estimated taxes, too. We usually hit pretty close. This year I paid too much. I was generous and told them to keep the $0.09 to use towards the deficit. Image

PostPosted: 04/06/09 2:39 pm • # 9 
Yes and I already got refunds from two states. I owe the feds a little bit, but it all washes.

PostPosted: 04/07/09 12:46 am • # 10 
I refuse to answer under the rights given to me with the Fifth Amendment.

("MARGE -- I TOLD YOU TO KEEP THE LIGHTS TURNED OFF IF SOMEONE KNOCKS!!!")

Page 1 of 1   [ 10 posts ] New Topic Add Reply