It is currently 06/16/24 8:53 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Page 1 of 1   [ 13 posts ]
PostPosted: 04/09/09 1:07 am • # 1 
Do you Twitter, or tweet on twitter? Do you do a lot of text messaging? Or do you prefer in person like in our chat room or on the phone or in social groups?

PostPosted: 04/09/09 2:00 am • # 2 
I've "tweeted" on Twitter a couple of times, but I really don't grasp the whole idea of it. It asks- "what are you doing now?", and I always reply with "tweeting on Twitter"...duh?
I don't have a cell phone (by choice) and wouldn't text on it if I did. I prefer to use social groups and chat rooms, although last night was the first time I've chatted in a long time! I enjoyed it though!Image

PostPosted: 04/09/09 3:15 am • # 3 
Ideally, face to face. Next best is one-to-one (had an extended chat with Mac last night - managed to be entertaining, informative, thought-provoking and heart-warming - YES, just the one chat!). Next is telephone (not really keen on texting, but can be good for getting through to someone in a meeting, etc.). Chatting with a group is fun, though it can be rather frenetic, trying to follow 2-3 conversations at the same time! Loved our little get-together last evening. Image

PostPosted: 04/09/09 3:24 am • # 4 
I don't talk much in real life so why would I bother "tweeting"? Except for an occasional foray into a chatroom (where I mainly sit and listen), I prefer hanging out in forums where I can think about what I want to put into my responses. I hate talking on the phone because, again, I'm not much of a talker. I hate texting. I prefer to write out all the words so no one will misunderstand what I am trying to say. I hate reading text messages because I don't know what most of the abreviations mean and always have to look up the definitions in a internet slang dictionary. There, are you satisified? 'pant, pant" Image

PostPosted: 04/09/09 6:22 am • # 5 
Editorialist

I'm an emailer. I hate the phone - too intrusive- so I don't think of texting much. I don't tweet. Even on Facebook, I find it hard to believe that anyone cares what I am doing right now. Nor do I usually wish to disclose that. Geez, I am an antisocial crab.

PostPosted: 04/09/09 7:54 am • # 6 
I don't even know what tweeting and twittering are unless we're talking about parakeets. Text messaging? Blech! The only times I use it are when I'm someplace too noisy to hear someone on the phone or hear voicemail they leave, but 99% of the time when I'm someplace like that, I just find someplace else to make the call from, such as stepping outside a moment.

PostPosted: 04/09/09 2:57 pm • # 7 
Editorialist

twittering supposes there is someone in the world who actually cares what I'm thinking right now. I can't imagine how that could possibly be true. I don't tweet, twiiter, twing...none of that stuff. I enjoy chat with ineresting, clever people. Phone's OK for talking to relatives once in a while, but is otherwise for transacgtions.

PostPosted: 04/10/09 11:15 am • # 8 
In person; I usually have too much nuance in my voice or face.

PostPosted: 04/10/09 1:04 pm • # 9 
I prefer in person, then phone, then email. I know email is very efficient and use it frequently, but I've had too many emails misread with wrong intentions. I am a reluctant texter, but my kids are so much more responsive with texts than any other communication. I did do the "twitter" thing for a short time, but never really got into it.

I love the chat room here at VoC and have gotten to know many of you much better! What a great group of people!

PostPosted: 04/10/09 1:40 pm • # 10 
Administrator

I do not [and will not] twitter, tweet, or text ~ tho I've had a cellphone for years and it's always in my purse, I virtually never use it and frequently forget to charge it ~ Image ~ I don't give many people that number and, in fact, I warn people to NOT leave messages for me on it because I turn it on so infrequently ~ for me, it's just a $35/month "security blanket" that is there if I need it ~ I bet, no I KNOW, that I don't use 15 minutes a month on a regular basis ~ and many months, I use 0 minutes ~ I prefer in person and then phone or email ~ I do use my landline ~ but I'm not one to sit on the phone for hours ~ that would cut too far into my online time ~ Image

Sooz

PostPosted: 04/10/09 9:10 pm • # 11 
Categories:

The endless stream of Twitter news appears to have paid off for the micro-blogging site. Global visits to Twitter approached 10 million in February, up 700 percent from the same time last year, according to comScore. Of that, about 4 million visitors were in the U.S.--a 1,000-percent increase. In the past two months alone, global Twitter traffic jumped by more than 5 million.

But while one might expect that it's the tweens and college kids Tweeting the day away, it's more likely to be your coworker or friend. The average Twitter user is between 25 and 54 years old, but Internet users between the ages of 45 and 54 are 36 percent more likely to be on the micro-blogging site. Users between 25 and 34 are 30 percent more likely, while the 18 to 24 age group were only 12 percent more likely to Tweet than older users.

ComScore was not exactly shocked by the news.

""The skew towards older visitors, although perhaps initially surprising for a social media site, actually makes more sense than you might think at first," the company wrote in a blog post. "With so many businesses using Twitter, along with the first generations of Internet users 'growing up' and comfortable with technology, this is a sign that the traditional early adopter model might need to be revisited."

ComScore expects to have March Twitter data available later this month.

Copyright © 1996-2009 Ziff Davis Publishing Holdings Inc. All Rights Reserved. PC Magazine, the PCMag.com logo and Gearlog are registered trademarks of Ziff Davis Publishing Holdings Inc.

PostPosted: 04/10/09 9:50 pm • # 12 
No twittering for me.
The whole concept seems so narcissistic.
Imposing the minutia of your daily existence upon others should be deigned a web crime.

PostPosted: 04/11/09 1:31 am • # 13 
Oh, it's another of those "social networking" sites that allows people to never really make a social connection or properly network? Nah, I prefer socializing and networking both be done in person. I was never into keeping diaries, and sure have no desire to post one for the world to see.

The only thing I hear about students using that seems like a reasonable use is Facebook for making class announcements. They all sign up under a group on Facebook, then if they're going to hold a party the whole class is invited to, or need to elect class officers, etc., then they post it on Facebook instead of trying to spread the word verbally (which can miss people), or send a mass email (in normal places, that would be just as easy, but they have a lot of limits on student email accounts here, so most limit the use of those for communicating with professors), or post flyers which can end up with party crashers showing up. I don't know if they all blog or anything, since I don't look.

Page 1 of 1   [ 13 posts ] New Topic Add Reply