It is currently 06/16/24 6:51 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Page 1 of 1   [ 8 posts ]
PostPosted: 04/16/09 3:49 am • # 1 
Administrator

Do you re-read books or re-watch movies that knocked you out the first time?

Sooz

PostPosted: 04/16/09 5:47 am • # 2 
Editorialist

I don't reread books because the ones I like the most are mysteries I cannot figure out. Once and they're not mysteries anymore. I will watch a movie I liked again, but I don't buy DVDs because I rarely want to watch anything over and over.

PostPosted: 04/16/09 6:55 am • # 3 
Yes I do. Some books and films are like old friends. Image

PostPosted: 04/16/09 11:12 am • # 4 
Me too. When I like a particular book, I will read it over and over again. Same with a favorite movie.

PostPosted: 04/16/09 4:06 pm • # 5 
Editorialist

I'm with Queen on this one. I will watch a movie more than once, to admire the acting, but once a mysteryh novel is done. it's done. Poetry is a different matter.

PostPosted: 04/17/09 6:53 am • # 6 
I've lost count of the number of times I've re-read; Dickens, Conan-Doyle, H.G.Wells, Homer, Poe .......
I am less inclined to re-watch films unless they feature outstanding performances.
I suppose on these occasions I am intrigued by the performer rather than the plot.

PostPosted: 04/17/09 1:29 pm • # 7 
Once in a while, I'll watch something again that I've seen before. I don't usually read books more than once. A movie, I can turn on and do other stuff while it's on if I enjoy it and have seen it before, so don't mind that I know what's coming next. With a book, it's my full attention when I'm reading, so once I know what's coming, it's not as enjoyable for me.

PostPosted: 04/18/09 2:29 am • # 8 
Administrator

I can't believe I didn't answer my own question! ~ Image

I do watch favorite films again, sometimes because of a film's original impact on me but more often because a film makes me laugh ~ I said in another thread that I've seen Blazing Saddles umpteen times because I always find something new to laugh at in it ~

Books are trickier ~ my favorite book genres are mystery and thrillers ~ so reading either of those again would not be as enjoyable for me ~ but I do have some favorites where that isn't a problem ~ The Little Prince, by Antoine de Saint Exupery, is my all-time favorite "children's" book and I have re-read it uncountable times and shared it with virtually all children in my life ~ it is a wonderful and profound story of life and human nature ~ I also have read Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance, by Robert Pirsig, several times ~ it's a philosophical account of a cross-country motorcycle trip Pirsig took with his son as part of Pirsig's recovery from a nervous breakdown ~ and it contains one of my all-time favorite lines: "why supress anger at a dripping faucet?" ~ why indeed! ~ there are other books as well, but those are the two I have re-read most often ~

Sooz

Page 1 of 1   [ 8 posts ] New Topic Add Reply