It is currently 06/16/24 6:18 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Page 1 of 1   [ 6 posts ]
PostPosted: 04/17/09 4:35 am • # 1 

Have you ever been part of an in the streets protest? What is important enough to you to do such a protest? Do you think they work to change anything?

PostPosted: 04/17/09 6:06 am • # 2 
Have you ever been part of an in the streets protest? Yep. Right after Kent State. Tear gas and pepper gas.
What is important enough to you to do such a protest? 58,000 dead in Vietnam.
Do you think they work to change anything? If enough people voice their opinion.

PostPosted: 04/17/09 6:32 am • # 3 
I took to the streets to protest the UK joining in the invasion of Iraq. Do street protests make any difference? Hmm. A million people joined the protests (which means that, conservatively, 10,000,000 (or almost a quarter of the adult population) were vehemently opposed to the war). Our government took absolutely no notice whatsoever.

PostPosted: 04/17/09 6:47 am • # 4 
Same as Quiver.
Some of our Government noticed. Blairs greatest opposition at that time came from his own back benches.
Shame he lied to them and us.

PostPosted: 04/17/09 11:38 am • # 5 
When I was in 6th grade, the teachers in my town went on strike. My mother and some friends made signs and we picketed with the teachers. It was a cool experience, but I haven't since.

PostPosted: 04/18/09 2:39 am • # 6 
Administrator

I mentioned in chat last night that I was waiting to answer this question because while I explicitly remembered "taking to the streets" during VietNam demonstrations, I knew there was another more recent time but I [embarrassingly] could not remember what that was ~ I said I thought it was maybe 8 or 10 years ago, but now that I remember I know it was more like 15 years ago ~ there was a HUGE lawsuit here in Illinois that was threatening a serious challenge to Roe v Wade in the Illinois Supreme Court ~ and I joined literallly thousands of others protesting that lawsuit ~ I did not join any public protests about Iraq, but I did write letters and make phone calls protesting our invasion of Iraq ~

Sooz

Page 1 of 1   [ 6 posts ] New Topic Add Reply