It is currently 05/24/24 3:13 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Page 1 of 1   [ 9 posts ]
PostPosted: 04/20/09 1:54 pm • # 1 
Administrator

Are you a procrastinator? ~ please ignore the fact that I'm posting Monday's Question of the Day at 853pm Monday night ~ Image

Sooz

PostPosted: 04/20/09 2:27 pm • # 2 
LOL! Not really, but sometimes I am. I really prefer to get things done well in advance and planned carefully so they go smoothly and keep me relatively stress-free in spite of a busy schedule. But, sometimes I run into an obstacle that pushes me past my own internal deadline for comfortable advanced planning, and then I end up procrastinating really badly because I get frustrated with the obstacles to my planning and sort of give up on the whole deal until I have no choice but to get it done.

PostPosted: 04/20/09 7:23 pm • # 3 

At home I procrastinate endlessly (too much time available to do things?). At work I am a doer, although I do believe in planning tasks properly. What I have little patience with is people who sit around talking endlessly about all the reasons they can't do things, what the barriers and obstacles are, etc. I find I've often done things by the time those sorts of people have finished talking about why they can't be done.

PostPosted: 04/21/09 3:33 am • # 4 
Only with chores I don't want to do (which includes most of them)!

PostPosted: 04/21/09 4:46 am • # 5 
A Quiver wrote:
What I have little patience with is people who sit around talking endlessly about all the reasons they can't do things, what the barriers and obstacles are, etc. I find I've often done things by the time those sorts of people have finished talking about why they can't be done.

Same here! They are often the biggest impediment to getting things done too. The other one is the person who will refuse to do anything until it's completely planned out and documented, and if they can't figure out how to do something, they just stall at the planning stage. I work with someone like that and it's driving me nuts. I do like to have things planned, but more from the perspective of "Okay, I have time on Thursday afternoon, let's work on this then," and then I work on it when I say I will. Sometimes you just have to do some trial and error, get one part of a project going and work on figuring out the way around an obstacle later when the problem is a bit more focused by results already in hand. For example, this person I'm working with is technical support on a project I'm doing that involves a lot of photography that then needs to be put onto a database server thingy (that's his part of the job) and used as illustrations for an online lab guide for students. He's still hung up on wanting an authoritative source for choosing keywords for all the photos. I'm just going on without him at this point, because while having a master list of keywords is helpful, there is nothing that prevents us from adding or changing them later. I have no problem with whoever labels something first wins on the keyword choice and everyone after that uses their terms (there are often multiple terms for the same things...Latin versions, English versions, someone got bored and had to come up with a new name for something terms...but there's no reason to get hung up on that, especially since the software we're using let's us just click check boxes rather than having to type search terms). So, I'll have the project done, and he'll still be figuring out keywords.

PostPosted: 04/22/09 12:22 am • # 6 
I'm getting to this. Soon, I promise.

PostPosted: 04/22/09 1:43 am • # 7 

PostPosted: 04/24/09 11:45 am • # 8 
Sooz, sorry but I really have been tied up lately, so I haven't gotten to your question. It turns out that there is a period of time the government gives you to file taxes. So, under the point of a gun (almost), I had to take care of 2002 through 2008 before they would even talk to me about penalties and interest etc.

Look, just give me a little more time, OK? I have to think about that word 'procastinator' just a tad. Seems like a harsh word with connotations attached for someone merely prioritizing.

PostPosted: 04/24/09 2:44 pm • # 9 
Administrator

LOL, NC ~ I know that e v e n t u a l l y you will answer ~ but you have been officially crowned VoC's Prince of Procrastination ~ Image

Sooz

Page 1 of 1   [ 9 posts ] New Topic Add Reply