It is currently 06/25/24 10:50 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Page 1 of 1   [ 9 posts ]
 Post subject: Just an observation
PostPosted: 12/02/12 8:56 am • # 1 
Editorialist

I have always been aware of how "taste" changes in regards to food. I eat things now that I hated when I was younger.

What I have not been aware of until now is how your "smell" changes. I have a bottle of body spray that is supposed to be "blackberry" scented. I hated it when I got it a year or so ago and never used it. Recently I tried it again. I LOVE IT! lol I wonder if it's because I've been eating fresh blackberries lately? Who knows? I have a once beloved perfume that I now dislike.

I guess all of our senses change as we age. Eyes fail, touch is different (some previously "sensitive" areas are not, others are more sensitive) etc. etc.
Isn't life interesting? :)

Post subject: Re: Just an observation
PostPosted: 12/02/12 10:24 am • # 2 
Editorialist

Smell has a lot to do with taste, too. That's why you hold your nose when you have to gulp down something disgusting. lol

PostPosted: 12/02/12 12:42 pm • # 3 
Editorialist

True. I've heard that if you lose your sense of smell, you can't taste much of anything.

I was thinking, regarding taste, about my aversion to tomatoes. I hated them at one time. LOVED the smell, the texture and they looked SO delicious. I loved anything made from tomatoes...sauce, ketchup etc. Tried to eat one many time and gagged.

Now, I LOVE tomatoes.

With regards to perfumes and such, I spent 20 years with a man who did not like any fragrances and claimed he was allergic. Thus, I avoided them, used unscented detergent and such and even convinced myself that I was allergic, lol! (the controlling ex btw :eyes )

I met current hubby who enjoys colognes, discovered that I am NOT allergic and enjoy playing around with different scents. I've found one mens cologne that I LOVE! One of our contractors wears it and one day I told hubby "Don't get jealous, but I MUST do this" I needed to find out if it was his cologne or something else, so I got very close for a good sniff of his neck. Going to maybe buy some for hubby for Xmas. Hugo Boss. Nice scent.
Of course, it doesn't hurt that the contractor is very nice and good looking. ;) :lol

PostPosted: 12/02/12 3:31 pm • # 4 
Editorialist

Hugo Boss *is* very nice!
My favorite scent for the past several years is "Warm Vanilla Sugar" from Bath & Body works. I get to smell like a cookie all day. Almost out now, come to think of it.

PostPosted: 12/02/12 6:07 pm • # 5 
I eat tomatoes like apples.

PostPosted: 12/02/12 6:57 pm • # 6 
Editorialist

That sounds great Chaos. Something to spray around when you are having guests too. Buy some sugar cookies and they'll think you made them, LOL!

PostPosted: 12/02/12 7:11 pm • # 7 
Editorialist

after posting about our chicken wings in the recipe section, I realized yet another thing I didn't like much before that I now LOVE. Garlic. Go figure. When I use garlic now, it's "there is no such thing as too much garlic" for any recipe. Our bruschetta always has a very generous amount of garlic.

PostPosted: 12/02/12 7:36 pm • # 8 
Editorialist

Chaos333 wrote:
Smell has a lot to do with taste, too. That's why you hold your nose when you have to gulp down something disgusting. lol

I can attest to the truth of this. I totally lost sense of smell for a period of months not long ago. I could taste sweet and salt and sour. That's all. Everything might as well have been oatmeal.

PostPosted: 12/07/12 8:12 am • # 9 
Administrator

grampatom wrote:
Chaos333 wrote:

I can attest to the truth of this. I totally lost sense of smell for a period of months not long ago. I could taste sweet and salt and sour. That's all. Everything might as well have been oatmeal.

Odd. I lost my sense of smell years ago and my sense of taste seems just fine. I can still pick out the herbs/spices used in a dish and can replicate it after a bit of experimention with the quantities.
No doubt, we're all different.

Page 1 of 1   [ 9 posts ] New Topic Add Reply