It is currently 05/18/24 8:33 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Page 1 of 1   [ 12 posts ]
PostPosted: 04/22/09 9:24 am • # 1 
Administrator

This is the 2d part of A Quiver's 3-part question from yesterday ~ what ONE book would you take with you to a deserted island [other than the Bible/religious books and the works of Shakespeare, which are already waiting for you on the island]?

Sooz

Last edited by sooz06 on 04/23/09 10:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 04/22/09 11:17 am • # 2 
For me it would have to be the book I read over and over and over again, finding something new and wonderful every single time. Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen. It is as fresh today as the day it was first written, imo. All of life's puzzles, dramas and emotions can be found within its pages - and it is very, very FUNNY. Image

PostPosted: 04/22/09 12:51 pm • # 3 
I can't think of any book I'd read over and over again, so I think that might be a good time to finally get around to reading War and Peace in its entirety. [img]/domainskins/bypass/img/smileys/happy.gif[/img] I would have a LOT of pages to use as toilet paper or for starting fires when I was done too.

PostPosted: 04/22/09 11:45 pm • # 4 
The Oxford Universal Dictionary.

PostPosted: 04/23/09 6:34 am • # 5 
Editorialist

unabridged, of course.

PostPosted: 04/23/09 8:49 am • # 6 
a Quiver - My 91 year-old mother watches Pride and Prejudice every day and has for about the last five years, so that is one book/film I would not want on my island.

PostPosted: 04/23/09 9:56 am • # 7 
kathyk1024 wrote:
a Quiver - My 91 year-old mother watches Pride and Prejudice every day and has for about the last five years, so that is one book/film I would not want on my island.
LOL Kathy - I don't blame you - although the book is a lot better than the film. Image

PostPosted: 04/23/09 10:17 am • # 8 
To Kill a Mockingbird

Harper Lee painted an extremely vivid picture with her words and brought the story to life in a way that is rare. On the one hand, it's too bad she didn't continue her writing, because she has tremendous talent; on the other, the fact that she wrote only one book suggests that she put herself into the story in a way that could not be reproduced.

I suspect that it would be very gratifying to have a powerful and vivid story to read if you were to be relegated to life on a remote island. A little escapism would be welcome.

PostPosted: 04/23/09 10:48 am • # 9 
Administrator

This is a tough question ~ I have a love affair with books, and go into a mild frenzy if I don't have a couple waiting to be read at any given time ~ as much as I love the escape of fiction [primarily mystery and thriller], I think if I could take only ONE book with me, it should be something that makes me think ~ Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance immediately leaps into my mind as maybe the right one ~ this is the true and philosophical tale of Robert Pirsig's cross-country motorcycle odyssey, accompanied by his son, while Pirsig was recovering from a nervous breakdown ~ Pirsig asks many questions to which my personal answers have changed over the years ~

Sooz

PostPosted: 04/23/09 2:07 pm • # 10 
The Count of Monte Cristo - one of my all time favorites!

PostPosted: 04/23/09 5:11 pm • # 11 
unabridged, of course.

Mais, oui...bien sur! It already has all the books ever printed in it. Just a little jumbled up, that's all.

PostPosted: 04/23/09 11:30 pm • # 12 
NewCentury wrote:
unabridged, of course.

Mais, oui...bien sur! It already has all the books ever printed in it. Just a little jumbled up, that's all.

LOL! Yes, surely the challenge that will keep you occupied is to reassemble the jumble. [img]/domainskins/bypass/img/smileys/happy.gif[/img]

Page 1 of 1   [ 12 posts ] New Topic Add Reply