It is currently 06/25/24 10:52 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Go to page 1, 2  Next   Page 1 of 2   [ 41 posts ]
PostPosted: 02/08/13 9:21 am • # 1 

Image Weather Channel -- Friday, February 8, 2013

Winter Storm Nemo: Historic Blizzard Arrives Tonight

Winter Storm Nemo will shift its focus from the Great Lakes today, and bare its teeth on New England tonight into Saturday.

Blizzard warnings are in effect from coastal Maine to northern New Jersey, including Portland, Maine, Boston, Hartford, Providence, to the New York City metro area and Long Island.

The heaviest snow totals by early Sunday morning are expected in New England from coastal Maine to Connecticut, as well as parts of Upstate New York, where one to two feet of snow is expected! Some locations, particularly in coastal New England, may approach, or even exceed three feet storm total snow! The following cities are most likely to see at least one foot of snow:

• Boston
    • Hartford
    • Providence
    • Portland, Maine
    • Concord, N.H.

This has the potential to be a top 10 snowstorm all-time in Boston!

According to the National Weather Service in Taunton, Mass., in records dating to 1935, there have been only seven snowstorms of 20 inches or more in Boston, topped by the Feb. 17-18, 2003 snowstorm (27.5") and the infamous "Blizzard of '78" (Feb. 6-7; 27.1").

A snow total of 18.2" or more would place it in the top 10 list all-time.

Heavy snow in excess of six inches is also expected from northern New Jersey and northeast Pennsylvania into western New York and central Lower Michigan, including the following cities:

• New York
    • Buffalo

Amounts generally less than six inches are expected a bit farther south and west, including Philadelphia and Detroit.

Friday: Snow begins in the morning in southern New England, including Boston and Hartford. Snow ends in Lower Michigan around midday. Snow continues, heavy at times, over New York state, far northern/northeast Pennsylvania and most of New England through the day. NYC, Long Island, central/southern New Jersey may start as rain much of the day.

Friday night: Heavy snow over much of New England, New York, far northern New Jersey and the New York City metro. Snowfall rates of 2-3" per hour are possible in coastal New England, including Boston, Hartford, and Portland, Maine. Areas of stubborn rain along the southeast New England coast may crash over to heavy snow overnight, with the possible exception of parts of Cape Cod and Nantucket Island, which may stay as a cold rain.

Saturday: Heavy, wind-driven snow continues in New England, shifting to the eastern New England coast by afternoon. Snow ends in the morning around New York City. Snow finally tapers off in Boston Saturday evening, and pulls off Downeast Maine after midnight Sunday morning.

It's not just the snow, [there will be a] threat from high winds.

More

PostPosted: 02/08/13 9:27 am • # 2 
Editorialist

I am glad that isn't here.

I read a story this morning that said: "It's a Texas low meeting an Alberta clipper" LOL, Two "redneck" systems causing this. Figures. :b

PostPosted: 02/08/13 10:06 am • # 3 
Administrator

Yeah, yeah, yeah. They're all "historic".
Nuttin' like a bit of drama on a daily basis.
For example, Boston has had snowfalls exceding 24" on several occasions.

PostPosted: 02/08/13 11:01 am • # 4 
So far... @ 1 foot and counting. The snow has been plowed once but you wouldn't know it.

http://www.weatheroffice.gc.ca/radar/index_e.html?id=WSO

PostPosted: 02/08/13 11:18 am • # 5 
Administrator

Sidartha wrote:
So far... @ 1 foot and counting. The snow has been plowed once but you wouldn't know it.

http://www.weatheroffice.gc.ca/radar/index_e.html?id=WSO

True, but it has all happened before.

PostPosted: 02/08/13 11:45 am • # 6 
We have actually had a very mild winter here. Normally by this time we have had several inches of snow but not this year. We have had some very low temps for a few straight days but all in all, we have only had a trace of snow and had some days recently in the 50's. Wierd for here.

PostPosted: 02/08/13 12:07 pm • # 7 
Editorialist

I lived just outside of Boston during the Blizzard of 78. It was kind of fun if you were smart enough not be one of the people who had to abandon your car on the highway because you didn't listen to the warnings.

PostPosted: 02/08/13 12:07 pm • # 8 
Editorialist

It's always a big story when it shuts down airports and interrupts commerce.

It has happened before and will happen again. Still a big story, imo. Besides, I'd rather read/hear about this than yet another tragic shooting. ;)

PostPosted: 02/08/13 1:14 pm • # 9 
Administrator

roseanne wrote:
It's always a big story when it shuts down airports and interrupts commerce.

It has happened before and will happen again. Still a big story, imo. Besides, I'd rather read/hear about this than yet another tragic shooting. ;)

I was alluding to the constant hyperbole of the media more than anything.

PostPosted: 02/08/13 1:31 pm • # 10 
Sandy wasn't hyperbole. Lots of people still out of their homes.

Hopefully, Nemo will BE Hyperbole. Raining in South Jersey right now.

PostPosted: 02/08/13 1:56 pm • # 11 
Administrator

Lots of people still out of their homes.

Not nature's fault.
And it has probably happened before.

PostPosted: 02/08/13 2:09 pm • # 12 
I wonder about the hospital staff and other workers who are "have to work" workers...last big snow storms it seems there were nurses who were fired for not reporting to duty...I know when we had our 2 ft. of snow a couple of years back Walmart's put several workers who did not make it into work on "warning"...

PostPosted: 02/08/13 2:50 pm • # 13 
oskar - I am not sure I agree with you. It is warmer than any year on record i.e. never happened before.
The ocean is warmer than ever i.e. never happened before.
More Artic Ice melted in 2012 than ever happened before.

All of this is since we started writing things down. Before that you may or may not be right. It's immaterial anyway.

I don't see any value in attributing blame to nature or not.

People from Sandy are out of their homes. It doesn't matter to people who are unaffected, but if they are going to be hit by NEMO or anything else it matters to them.

PostPosted: 02/08/13 2:55 pm • # 14 
Cannalee2 wrote:
I wonder about the hospital staff and other workers who are "have to work" workers...last big snow storms it seems there were nurses who were fired for not reporting to duty...I know when we had our 2 ft. of snow a couple of years back Walmart's put several workers who did not make it into work on "warning"...

I doubt they'd come for me, but the police drove my cardiologist neighbors to the hospital during a storm a couple of years ago.

The derecho weekend. My coworker, the case manager, had bronchitis and wasn't there. I was GLAD because she is the hyper type and on crisis weekends the last thing people in crisis need are hyper types. The derecho was rougher for me than Sandy. All the home oxygen patients came to the hospital due to the extended power outage. i searched forshelters and nursing facilities who would take them.

PostPosted: 02/08/13 3:08 pm • # 15 
Editorialist

In 78 I worked part time at a residential mental hospital. The people who were working when the driving ban was issued got stuck working around the clock for 3-7 shifts, depending on when people could get in to replace them.

PostPosted: 02/08/13 3:15 pm • # 16 
Administrator

kathyk1024 wrote:
oskar - I am not sure I agree with you. It is warmer than any year on record i.e. never happened before.
The ocean is warmer than ever i.e. never happened before.
More Artic Ice melted in 2012 than ever happened before.

All of this is since we started writing things down. Before that you may or may not be right. It's immaterial anyway.

I don't see any value in attributing blame to nature or not.

People from Sandy are out of their homes. It doesn't matter to people who are unaffected, but if they are going to be hit by NEMO or anything else it matters to them.

Yesterday never happened before. It was -22 last night.

PostPosted: 02/08/13 3:18 pm • # 17 
What does -22 have to do with this discussion?

PostPosted: 02/08/13 3:45 pm • # 18 
Administrator

The same thing this has to do with it: The ocean is warmer than ever i.e. never happened before.

PostPosted: 02/08/13 3:54 pm • # 19 
Editorialist

The snow started here an hour or so ago and it's coming down quite hard. Wet, big flakes, the kind that are heavy and a pain to shovel. I had to reschedule my Sat. Peapod order for Monday.

PostPosted: 02/08/13 5:03 pm • # 20 
Editorialist

A warmer ocean, more moisture in the air.........Alberta clipper. All add up to a major storm.

I really feel sorry for the Sandy victims, many who still don't have their houses repaired. Even those that have recovered may have some flooding from this storm. This must be very frustrating for them.

PostPosted: 02/08/13 5:05 pm • # 21 
Editorialist

laffinalltheway wrote:
The snow started here an hour or so ago and it's coming down quite hard. Wet, big flakes, the kind that are heavy and a pain to shovel. I had to reschedule my Sat. Peapod order for Monday.

That's the kind of snow that collapses roofs and brings down power poles. Yikes!

I hope everyone stays safe and warm.

PostPosted: 02/08/13 5:18 pm • # 22 
Editorialist

Now I'm hearing what sounds like thunder...

PostPosted: 02/08/13 5:22 pm • # 23 
Editorialist

Thundersnow! We've had that once here in the last 10 years. It's fairly common when they have snow in Alabama. The blizzard of '93 was the best for that. Thunder and lightening with heavy snow. We got 18". :eek

PostPosted: 02/08/13 6:07 pm • # 24 
Administrator

42" of snow here in the blizzard of 2004.
High winds, no power for 3 days, flood in the basement... we're still here.

PostPosted: 02/08/13 6:21 pm • # 25 
Administrator

I'm glad you are, oskar ~ but not everyone is so lucky ~

Sooz

Go to page 1, 2  Next   Page 1 of 2   [ 41 posts ] New Topic Add Reply