It is currently 06/28/24 6:03 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Page 1 of 1   [ 11 posts ]
PostPosted: 02/10/13 12:46 pm • # 1 

Image Washington Times -- Sunday, February 10, 2013

2013 State of the Union address

The State of the Union address will be shown on ABC, CBS, NBC, and PBS as well as carried on cable stations Bloomberg TV, CNN, C-Span, C-Span 2, Current TV, Fox, Fox News, MSNBC, Mun2, and Telemundo.

WASHINGTON, February 10, 2013 — President Barack Obama will be center-stage before the joint session of both Houses of Congress on February 12, Tuesday night at 9 p.m. EST. All broadcast and most of cable news programs will carry it live, pre-empting other programming.

President Obama specifically selected the birthday of President Lincoln, February 12, as the date of his address. President Obama has long invoked the memory and words of Lincoln, most recently taking his oath of office on the Lincoln bible.

The GOP has selected rising Republican star, Florida Senator Marco Rubio, to give the reply immediately following the President’s speech.

The State of the Union address dates back to President Washington, who delivered his message before a joint session of Congress on January 8, 1790 in New York City, which was then the provisional capital of the new country.

However, in 1801 President Jefferson stopped the practice of in-person delivery to Congress, believing it to be too similar to royal edicts from the throne. The address was instead written and sent to Congress to be read by the Congressional clerk.

Then in 1913, President Woodrow Wilson brought back the live address, causing some controversy at the time. Since then except for President Carter, who declined to personally make the speech, all presidents have arrived in person on Capital Hill to deliver their address. Until FDR, the speech was known as the President's Annual Message to Congress and was given in December at the end of the calendar year.

The President is required by the U.S. Constitution to give such an address by Article II, Sector 3 of the US Constitution, that says the President "shall from time to time give to Congress information of the State of the Union and recommend to their Consideration such measures as he shall judge necessary and expedient."

Some of the cable news shows will have a pre-address show, analyzing what they know or expect to be in the State of the Union.

The State of the Union is one of the most direct communications between the President and the people of America. Since the invention of the radio and then television, the speech has been broadcast live.

PostPosted: 02/12/13 9:51 am • # 2 

Reminder: The State of the Union address is tonight.

PostPosted: 02/12/13 11:45 am • # 3 
Anyone expect to hear anything different tonight from the same ole same ole stuff we normally hear?

PostPosted: 02/12/13 5:15 pm • # 4 
Editorialist

when is the State of the Onion address?

PostPosted: 02/12/13 7:37 pm • # 5 

9 pm ET / 6 pm PT

PostPosted: 02/12/13 7:41 pm • # 6 
Quote:
Anyone expect to hear anything different tonight from the same ole same ole stuff we normally hear?

I'm hoping we hear the President stress the importance (indirectly to the U.S. Supreme Court) of allowing same-sex marriage.

As well as stress the importance of gun control legislation.

PostPosted: 02/12/13 8:21 pm • # 7 
Administrator

9:19 Boehner's mouth is drying up. He needs a drink now!

9:21 Ryan is still day dreaming about that seat behind Obama....

PostPosted: 02/12/13 8:24 pm • # 8 
Administrator

9:23 I think Boehner just leaned a bit forward to pass gas...

PostPosted: 02/12/13 9:03 pm • # 9 
Administrator

Boehner looks like he's painfully constipated ~

Sooz

PostPosted: 02/13/13 7:33 am • # 10 
Administrator

I thought Obama's speech was strong/well-delivered and hit both the right topics and the right tone ~ I missed about 15 minutes because of a phone call ~ I don't have much time before leaving for school today, but I'll search for a video clip of the full speech when I get home later ~ in the meantime, I love word clouds ~ Sooz

TPMLIVEWIRE
Word Cloud Of Obama’s State Of The Union Speech
Igor Bobic - 10:22 PM EST, Tuesday February 12, 2013

President Obama delivered his fourth State of the Union address on Tuesday night before a joint session of Congress. Read his full speech here, or check out a word cloud below:

http://livewire.talkingpointsmemo.com/entry/word-cloud-of-obamas-state-of-union-speech?ref=fpblg

PostPosted: 02/13/13 12:35 pm • # 11 
One of his best speeches ever I thought and I was pleasantly surprised! Raising the minimum wage is something I have thought should happen for a very long time but I would raise it to $10.00 per hour. Boehner looked so out of it last night and Cantor looked like the jackass he is.

Page 1 of 1   [ 11 posts ] New Topic Add Reply