It is currently 09/28/24 3:42 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Page 1 of 1   [ 12 posts ]
PostPosted: 02/13/13 8:27 am • # 1 
Editorialist

Since I've forgotten so much of my mythology, I found this tidbit as I was researching the list of names for the moons of Pluto. Interesting. Lot and Sarah? Or is it Orpheus and Eurydice? Hmmm It is interesting that the biblical version paints the woman as the weak one who looks back, isn't it?:

23 By the time Lot reached Zoar, the sun had risen over the land. 24 Then the Lord rained down burning sulfur on Sodom and Gomorrah—from the Lord out of the heavens. 25 Thus he overthrew those cities and the entire plain, destroying all those living in the cities—and also the vegetation in the land. 26 But Lot’s wife looked back, and she became a pillar of salt.

http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?se ... ersion=NIV

When Orpheus' wife, Eurydice, was killed by the bite of a serpent, he went down to the underworld to bring her back. His songs were so beautiful that Hades finally agreed to allow Eurydice to return to the world of the living. However, Orpheus had to meet one condition: he must not look back as he was conducting her to the surface. Just before the pair reached the upper world, Orpheus looked back, and Eurydice slipped back into the netherworld once again.

http://www.pantheon.org/articles/o/orpheus.html

One other tidbit I found while researching the bible story at the same link:

30 Lot and his two daughters left Zoar and settled in the mountains, for he was afraid to stay in Zoar. He and his two daughters lived in a cave. 31 One day the older daughter said to the younger, “Our father is old, and there is no man around here to give us children—as is the custom all over the earth. 32 Let’s get our father to drink wine and then sleep with him and preserve our family line through our father.”

33 That night they got their father to drink wine, and the older daughter went in and slept with him. He was not aware of it when she lay down or when she got up.

34 The next day the older daughter said to the younger, “Last night I slept with my father. Let’s get him to drink wine again tonight, and you go in and sleep with him so we can preserve our family line through our father.” 35 So they got their father to drink wine that night also, and the younger daughter went in and slept with him. Again he was not aware of it when she lay down or when she got up.

36 So both of Lot’s daughters became pregnant by their father. 37 The older daughter had a son, and she named him Moab[g]; he is the father of the Moabites of today. 38 The younger daughter also had a son, and she named him Ben-Ammi[h]; he is the father of the Ammonites[i] of today.

:eek

PostPosted: 02/13/13 8:33 am • # 2 
Administrator

34 The next day the older daughter said to the younger, “Last night I slept with my father. Let’s get him to drink wine again tonight, and you go in and sleep with him so we can preserve our family line through our father.” 35 So they got their father to drink wine that night also, and the younger daughter went in and slept with him. Again he was not aware of it when she lay down or when she got up.

Ha!
I bet they weren't sleeping at all, the perverts. ;)

PostPosted: 02/13/13 8:42 am • # 3 
Editorialist

Ya think? LOL

So both of Lot’s daughters became pregnant by their father. 37 The older daughter had a son, and she named him Moab[g]; he is the father of the Moabites of today. 38 The younger daughter also had a son, and she named him Ben-Ammi[h]; he is the father of the Ammonites[i] of today.

PostPosted: 02/13/13 9:02 am • # 4 
Administrator

So the Bible supports incest, polygamy, rape and paedophilia.

PostPosted: 02/13/13 9:12 am • # 5 
Editorialist

oskar576 wrote:

Yes! And subtance abuse:

33 That night they got their father to drink wine, and the older daughter went in and slept with him. He was not aware of it when she lay down or when she got up.

PostPosted: 02/13/13 11:27 am • # 6 
Editorialist

He was not aware of it when she lay down or when she got up.

That's his story, anyway. And he's sticking to it.

PostPosted: 02/14/13 9:51 am • # 7 
oskar576 wrote:

Nawww....it just reports those things... ;)

PostPosted: 02/14/13 10:11 am • # 8 
Administrator

It fails to condemn them and commends the rape of an underage woman who is married to another in her sleep.

PostPosted: 02/14/13 11:18 am • # 9 
Lot has been presented as a hero of the Bible, the one good man worth saving. The rest in those cities were homosexuals and other bad stuff who dared to question who this strange angel guy was who showed up at Lot's house. Interesting, too, is that when the city people demanded to see the angel, Lot offerred his virgin daughters for them to do with as they wanted. That to me is the worst thing of all. Sure, save the honorable "good" man, incestuous, drunken, heartless slimeball and destroy the homosexuals. Yeah and the daughters were pillars of the community. Oh wait, it was the mom who was the pillar. Anyway.........

PostPosted: 02/14/13 11:39 am • # 10 
jimwilliam wrote:
He was not aware of it when she lay down or when she got up.

That's his story, anyway. And he's sticking to it.

LOL!

PostPosted: 02/14/13 1:31 pm • # 11 
The bible is mythology... so...

PostPosted: 02/14/13 1:40 pm • # 12 
Editorialist

36 So both of Lot’s daughters became pregnant by their father. 37 The older daughter had a son, and she named him Moab[g]; he is the father of the Moabites of today. 38 The younger daughter also had a son, and she named him Ben-Ammi[h]; he is the father of the Ammonites[i] of today.

So what can we learn from reading this?

That the Israelites didn't like the Moabites and Ammonites, so how better to criticize them than to claim that they are the ancestors of an incestuous act?

The Moabites were in conflict with the Israelites from the 13th century. They are noted several times in the Old Testament.
http://www.britannica.com/EBchecked/topic/386718/Moabite

Ammonite, any member of an ancient Semitic people whose principal city was Rabbath Ammon, in Palestine. The “sons of Ammon” were in perennial, though sporadic, conflict with the Israelites.
http://www.britannica.com/EBchecked/topic/21009/Ammonite

Page 1 of 1   [ 12 posts ] New Topic Add Reply