It is currently 09/28/24 3:47 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Page 1 of 1   [ 7 posts ]
 Post subject: "Piano" bars
PostPosted: 02/18/13 5:46 pm • # 1 
Editorialist

Does anyone remember those? Birmingham had several, but we used to go to one that was in the basement of a building. The pianist was a very talented woman who even wore white elbow gloves to play, lol. She also played for Sunday buffet dinner at a place called "The Club" which was a members only, snooty place my first in-laws belonged to. :b She played old classics, some show tunes and such.

Anyway, you can't find these places anymore. All bars have loud piped-in music or the occasional loud band on the weekends. I loved the piano bars. You could enjoy a drink or two and actually talk quietly without having to yell over the music and the drunks.

I have found one place here that's fairly new, called Crooners. I was intrigued by the name, so I looked it up. Evidently on the weekends they have a piano player and live music, whatever that is. We may check it out soon. They also tout themselves as a "fine dining" establishment. They do serve Creme brulee', so maybe a drink or two, then coffee and dessert.

Post subject: Re: "Piano" bars
PostPosted: 02/19/13 11:36 am • # 2 
Editorialist

In Boston, there used to be a corner diner, tucked in a rough neighborhood under the orange line (elevated subway), where they had a piano player during lunch. It was cheap, the food was mediocre, but it was a bright spot in a dreary 'hood. It closed when they tore down the tracks and moved the subway underground a few blocks away.

PostPosted: 02/19/13 2:49 pm • # 3 
Administrator

I actually managed one many moons ago.

PostPosted: 02/19/13 3:15 pm • # 4 
I have a friend who plays in a piano bar in Copenhagen. He's been doing it since we graduated from high school in '73.

PostPosted: 02/19/13 4:34 pm • # 5 
Editorialist

I just wonder if it isn't time for a comeback for them? After all, baby boomers need some place to go. Hearing aids don't work well in loud bars, lol.

Seriously, I think they could be successful again. Find the right neighborhood and set up shop. If I had just won this weeks lottery. Sigh. The winning ticket was sold here in Calgary, but not to us.

PostPosted: 02/20/13 2:44 pm • # 6 
Editorialist

I think there's still quite a few in San Francisco.

PostPosted: 02/20/13 5:38 pm • # 7 
Editorialist

Remember Bill Murray's piano bar skit/character on SNL? <giggle>

Page 1 of 1   [ 7 posts ] New Topic Add Reply