It is currently 05/24/24 2:26 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Page 1 of 1   [ 5 posts ]
PostPosted: 04/29/09 6:20 am • # 1 
Administrator

Have you ever done anything that you KNOW is the "correct" thing to do but doing it makes you feel hypocritical?

Sooz

PostPosted: 04/29/09 6:33 am • # 2 
Absolutely. And, I always feel guilty afterwards.

One of the top 5 or 10 best movies ever made was "Cool Hand Luke". At one point Paul Newman's (Luke) mother died. The "Captain" of the prison camp, played by Strother Martin, said that Luke needed to go into "the box" for seven days since men normally "get the rabbit in 'em" after a mother dies. While putting him into the box, the guard tells Luke he is sorry, but he's only doing his job. Luke replies in disgust: "Callin' it your job don't make it right".

Last edited by NewCentury on 04/29/09 6:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 04/29/09 1:00 pm • # 3 
Editorialist

What keeps me awake some nights is the incorrect things I've done that make me feel hypocritical.

PostPosted: 04/29/09 2:48 pm • # 4 
I can't think of anything. I usually try to be pretty consistent, and if I think something is inconsistent with my views, even if it's supposed to be the "correct" thing to do, I'm going to speak up and argue against it.

PostPosted: 04/29/09 6:45 pm • # 5 
The 'correct' things I've done that make me feel hypocritical usually involve holding people accountable for their actions. I have no difficulty judging the quality of someone's work, but acting on those judgements makes me feel uncomfortable, and offering (genuine) sympathy to those who suffer as a result makes me feel hypocritical.

Page 1 of 1   [ 5 posts ] New Topic Add Reply