It is currently 05/24/24 5:56 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Page 1 of 1   [ 6 posts ]
PostPosted: 05/18/09 12:46 am • # 1 
If your cable/sat TV provider allowed you to choose your own channels instead of having to accept the slop in the packages they offer, which channels would you choose? Assume that all the basic broadcast channels such as ABC, CBS, NBC, the local PBS, etc are already included. What additional channels would you want to have?

(forgot to include my own choices: Sci-Fi, Food Network, HGTV, USA, TNT, TBS, Bravo, A&E, AMC, Animal Planet, Discovery, Natl Geographic, FX, Spike and maybe HBO or one of the other movie channels)

Last edited by glitterypickles539 on 05/18/09 5:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 05/18/09 1:08 am • # 2 
Editorialist

It's easier to list the channels I don't want...lol...

-No spanish language
-No "home shopping"
-No "sports all day" channels ( golf channel,etc.)
-No religion
And don't make me pay for "700 channels!!!" if 375 of them are blanks anyway.

I actually went over our situation not long ago, we were thinking of going with a dish. Minus the channels we "aren't authorized" to get ( don't pay extra for), plus the above list, plus several others devoted to "on demand programming", local advertisements, etc., we actually only USE 55 channels, total. And at least half of those convert to informercials overnight.

(I DO want my HBO, though! LOL!)

PostPosted: 05/18/09 2:26 am • # 3 
Editorialist

What is it, this "cable/sat TV" you speak of, Stranger?

PostPosted: 05/18/09 3:52 am • # 4 
Chaos333 wrote:
It's easier to list the channels I don't want...lol...

-No spanish language
-No "home shopping"
-No "sports all day" channels ( golf channel,etc.)
-No religion
And don't make me pay for "700 channels!!!" if 375 of them are blanks anyway.

I actually went over our situation not long ago, we were thinking of going with a dish. Minus the channels we "aren't authorized" to get ( don't pay extra for), plus the above list, plus several others devoted to "on demand programming", local advertisements, etc., we actually only USE 55 channels, total. And at least half of those convert to informercials overnight.

(I DO want my HBO, though! LOL!)

That's a good starting list for me too. I just recently added the digital package to my basic cable when I moved, just because it's a really bargain rate for 12 months, so I figured I'd try it and cancel if I don't find much worth keeping. And, frankly, the only channel I've found myself watching beyond the basic package is Discovery Health. But, with the digital package, you get to use parental controls to block channels...I have no kids, but I blocked every religious channel because they annoy me. Do you think cable companies have a way to track what channels people are blocking for their own decisions on what to offer? And, what's with 50 channels of music? Isn't that what I have a radio for? I remember the days when cable automatically included HBO or Showtime. I won't pay extra for them, but if I could pick and choose, instead of 700 channels of junk, I'd rather have just HBO, the Discovery channels, History Channel, USA, Comedy Central, The Weather Channel, CNN and the basic networks you used to be able to get with a plain old antenna before this digital switch. I could be content with less than 20 channels.

PostPosted: 05/18/09 6:15 am • # 5 
I use most of the channels. I don't watch any of the shopping, Spanish language or religious ones. but I order the NFL Sunday ticket and I watch tennis on the off channels.

I never watch the "ant climbing the tree" channels like Discovery, Nature, National Geographic, History, but Hubby watches those almost exclusively.

I pay both for HBO and Showtime.

PostPosted: 05/18/09 7:15 am • # 6 
Ant Climbing the Tree are really Amazing ... They have been Biting me recently ... I think they get upset when I kill their relatives every chance I get ... LOLOL ... I am BAD ... Even !!

Page 1 of 1   [ 6 posts ] New Topic Add Reply