It is currently 06/16/24 2:48 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Page 1 of 1   [ 5 posts ]
 Post subject: A must-see
PostPosted: 10/28/13 3:19 pm • # 1 
Editorialist

"Hush all you sports haters and instead click and watch one of the best halftime performances ever by a college marching band."

http://gawker.com/ohio-state-marching-b ... 1453101384

Post subject: Re: A must-see
PostPosted: 10/28/13 5:48 pm • # 2 
Administrator

Chaos, I left here today about 1:45pm to take my mom to the library and then grocery shopping ~ just walked in the door ~ but I swear to you that I bookmarked that link just before I left, planning to post it when I got home ~ I personally was knocked out by it and wanted your kiddo to see it ~ I canNOT imagine choreographing and practicing to produce that show!

Sooz

PostPosted: 10/29/13 8:49 am • # 3 
I was in the high school band and Jason played football and was in the band simultaneously.

It's a huge undertaking to produce a 15 minute half time show. There are numerous choreographers and the band members practice at least as long as the football team members. They start in the summer and learn the music and choreography.

Kinda didn't like the term "geeks" and that stereotype is why it's hard to field a high school band today.

PostPosted: 10/29/13 9:12 am • # 4 
Editorialist

Great show! I am always amazed at the bands that can pull off this sort of elaborate thing.

When I was in HS, we had a great band. For the first time we had a black drum major and he could really move. He would lead them out on the field, leaning back as he strutted, until his head almost touched the ground. Under his leadership, the band became more.......ummm.........funky (for want of a better word). They would dance, sway and march with high-steps that entertained everyone. They did some pretty elaborate configurations similar to the video. Then, the school decided that it was "too black" (although they did not use that term) and made him tone it down. All the students were upset.

PostPosted: 10/29/13 10:06 am • # 5 
Jason's drum major, Fred, was black, too. He wasn't funky though and he stayed on years after graduation to assist with the color guard.

Funny Fred story...

When Jason was in high school, the band members congregated at our house. We had the huge basement and all the video game systems and food and stuff. They went there to relax after competitions.

One day after a competition Fred came in and said, "Jenna is my girlfriend now. So we all have girlfriends." He went down to the basement and Jason was still in the kitchen.

I said to Jason, "I thought Fred was gay."

Jason replied, "Yea, he doesn't know it yet."

I nodded and life went on.

Page 1 of 1   [ 5 posts ] New Topic Add Reply