It is currently 05/24/24 11:49 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Page 1 of 1   [ 15 posts ]
PostPosted: 05/20/09 9:40 am • # 1 
Administrator

Have you ever served on a jury?

Sooz

PostPosted: 05/20/09 10:10 am • # 2 
Nope. Spent my 5 or 7 weeks (I can't even remember how long it was now, but it was way TOO long) on jury duty, getting called in every few days for jury selection, and they always rejected me. Lawyers don't like jurors who understand the evidence better than they do (one was a drunk driving case and they were clearly trying to eliminate anyone from the jury who would understand how blood alcohol testing is done, though, talking to some of the other jurors later who wound up on that jury, the lawyer should have never recommended bothering with a trial because there was just no shred of doubt since it was someone who not only was drunk driving WAY over the limit, but also fled police, hit another vehicle, and all on a suspended license), or who can't easily be shocked by gory pictures (one of the trials was for a murder where they mutilated the body to hide the evidence afterward...I'm sure the prosecutor was hoping to horrify the jury with gory pictures and knew that someone who teaches gross anatomy has seen too many dead bodies to be shocked at that sort of emotional level they were going for).

PostPosted: 05/20/09 10:33 am • # 3 
Grays Anatomy ... not Gross Anatomy ... LOLOL ... Even !!

PostPosted: 05/20/09 10:56 am • # 4 
Actually, when I was on jury duty, one of the questions they'd ask jurors was whether they watched shows like CSI, and if anyone answered yes, then they'd ask if they believed that's how forensics really worked. Apparently, that's becoming a big problem, that people have unrealistic expectations of what evidence can be obtained and presented from watching all these shows on TV.

PostPosted: 05/20/09 11:29 am • # 5 
No. I've been called several times but just ended up cooling my heels until the day was over.

PostPosted: 05/20/09 1:51 pm • # 6 
Editorialist

No, but I'd like to. I think it would be really interesting.

PostPosted: 05/21/09 2:26 am • # 7 
Editorialist

I used to get called every three years like clockwork but never selected. Like Calluna, I have too many elimination factors- dad was a cop, I worked in child protection and have worked for the courts for the past 10 year. I could only ever get seated on some boring civil property trial I'm sure. But I have been able to watch and participate in several interesting trials in other capacities.

PostPosted: 05/21/09 3:28 am • # 8 
I've never been called, as yet.

PostPosted: 05/21/09 3:47 am • # 9 
I've been selected to five panels and actually heard two cases. In the other three we must have looked like such tough juries the parties settled. One of those was a civil case involving boat manufacurers and victims.

The two panels where I actually heard the cases involved robbery incidents. We found one guy guilty and the other guy not guilty. We said in the not guilty case that he could very well have been guilty but the prosecutor did not provide sufficient evidence. It's an interesting process. The NJ jiry selection process has improved over the years. You show up the first day and sign in and call the rest of the week to see if they are doing jury selection and the recording tells you if and when to report. Not nearly as many hideous long days doing nothing.

PostPosted: 05/21/09 4:00 am • # 10 
Administrator

I've been called a couple of times ~ but the process here is "one day or one trial" ~ you appear the day/time specified ~ if you are selected that day, you serve until the trial is over ~ if you are NOT selected that day, you are released as having served ~ I too have many factors that make me unattractive to defense lawyers ~ including working for a law firm and for many years having a "significant other" who is a police detective ~ the only time my panel was called into a courtroom was a 3-count case of kidnapping/murder ~ I was NOT selected from the panel ~ but it bothered me BIG TIME that they run thru all your personal information [name, address, employer, etc] in open court with the defendant [and his family and pals] sitting there ~ Image

Sooz

PostPosted: 05/21/09 5:28 am • # 11 
Jury duty here is horrendously burdensome, and it's no wonder so many try to get out of it. Every other state I've been in, people have not been asked to serve more than 2 weeks, which isn't that difficult to rearrange schedules for 2 weeks. Here, though, it was 5 or 7 weeks, and often, they didn't have the recording available of who should report the next day until 6 PM or so, which meant you couldn't even know during working hours if you would need to reschedule your next day to be there. I don't think they liked me much when I told the judge this directly. But, I figure if nobody ever speaks up to the judge and tells them that it's not done like this everywhere, and it makes jury duty a real hardship for a lot more people, then he's never going to know to change things. I would rather have to show up every day for a week and just sit around knowing that I'd be doing that rather than 7 weeks of complete uncertainty in my schedule.

PostPosted: 05/21/09 8:43 am • # 12 
They Pay you Per -Diem Handsomely for your Work and performance of your Civic Duty ... So Please Do NOT COMPLAIN ... LOLOL ... Even !! Image

PostPosted: 05/21/09 1:25 pm • # 13 
ini wrote:
They Pay you Per -Diem Handsomely for your Work and performance of your Civic Duty ... So Please Do NOT COMPLAIN ... LOLOL ... Even !! Image

You don't get paid a handsome per diem. You get a pittance per day that pretty much covers lunch. It sure doesn't make up for the time lost from work when you have to use up your leave time to serve jury duty.

PostPosted: 05/21/09 1:54 pm • # 14 
They pay a whopping $5 a day!!! Doesn't even cover lunch.LOL!!!

Since I was always a government contractor they mandate a jury duty leave category so my employer paid for my serivice, which ultimately means tax payers did.

PostPosted: 05/21/09 3:14 pm • # 15 
We got a bit more than $5/day. I think it was something like $15 plus free parking.

Oh, the other thing I didn't like was that they'd always tell us to report at some ridiculously early hour, like 7:30 or 8:00, which is ridiculously early when you have to get through all the morning traffic to get downtown, find parking, and walk from the parking lot to the courthouse, but when we'd all get there on time, they were NEVER ready for us to start on time. One day, we all wanted to strangle someone when we got there on the earliest day, then sat around waiting for 2 hours, and finally someone came out and told us thanks, but no thanks, the defendant decided to accept a plea bargain and settle without a trial. We just all sat there for a moment, and then the discussion started as we wandered back to our cars...we really wanted to drag that person in for a trial whether they wanted one or not now that we were all there!

Last edited by Calluna on 05/21/09 3:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Page 1 of 1   [ 15 posts ] New Topic Add Reply