It is currently 06/16/24 5:39 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Page 1 of 1   [ 4 posts ]
 Post subject: UNIDENTIFIED, BABY BOY
PostPosted: 12/29/13 4:33 pm • # 1 
At 5:00AM on December 26, a woman walked into the ER and handed over her newborn baby boy. According to NJ's Safe Haven law no questions were asked. She stated that didn't use drugs, and she was healthy. The baby weighed 7 and a half pounds and Stacey who was on Thursday called the Department of Child Protection and Permanence (DCPP) to report the incident.

The baby's drug screen was negative and the only issue was slightly high blood sugar which was quickly resolved after formula feeding. Today, after consulting with Children's Hospital of Pennsylvania (University of Penn) the doctor ordered HIV screening which needed to be approved by the baby's guardians at DCPP.

Flash back to last week and a different case. A 72 yo man was brought into the ER with a possible stroke. He was given a CAT scan in the ER determining no active bleeding and was admitted to the hospital. When I went to visit him, he was accompanied by his wife and daughter who was a DCPP agent. The daughter lit into me saying she regrets bringing her father here because he wouldn't get an MRI until Monday, and he isn't being actively treated. She should have just taken him to Penn. She said DCPP never closed their doors and when someone needed service they responded no matter what the day or hour. I mumbled something about if you are dissatisfied with the care here it is entirely your right to transfer to Penn. You will have to call there and get an admitting physician. The receiving facility generally arranges the transport.

Flash back to this week and the baby. After talking to three separate DCPP agents I was told only the Local Agency Supervisor could approve a medical procedure and she was not available until tomorrow. They asked me to ask the pediatrician if that was sufficient. It is, and their whatever day or hour appears to be 9-5 on Monday to Friday.

Unidentified Baby Boy is really beautiful. I got a little tear when I went in to visit him. Being an optimist, I think he will find a loving family.

PostPosted: 12/31/13 12:07 am • # 2 
Editorialist

Proof that "Save Haven" laws work...but I would think they'd have the kinks of who can authorize what for a baby under those circumstances a little more worked out by now.

PostPosted: 12/31/13 10:13 am • # 3 
I am very happy for the baby. I am not generally a big DCPP fan. They should give temporary medical POA to the hospital in cases like this. This local supervisor is not going to overturn AIDS testing. That's ridiculous.

PostPosted: 01/04/14 3:57 pm • # 4 
The AIDS and DNA tests were performed. There are prospective adoptive parents in the wings. The birth mother has 60 days to claim the baby and then the adoption can be legalized.

Page 1 of 1   [ 4 posts ] New Topic Add Reply