It is currently 06/16/24 2:31 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Page 1 of 1   [ 3 posts ]
PostPosted: 01/18/14 10:20 am • # 1 
Editorialist

We don't go to the theater very often. Once a year. In searching for movie times, I found a bunch of notations with which I am not familiar. Even trying to search them on the internet has me confused.

We know what IMax is and 3D, but wtf is | UltraAVX (or just AVX) | RealD3D | D-BOX and ATMOS?

I just want to watch a damn movie. No 3D or IMax. No fancy crap, just a big screen with good sound. Sigh. It's dismaying that I found the movie we wanted that is just plain-jane Dobly BUT it also has CC. While that is great for the hearing impaired, I don't want to be distracted by it.

Anyone care to translate? :lol

PostPosted: 01/18/14 10:34 am • # 2 
Editorialist

I think we've decided what we are going to do. There is a nearby theater that screens movies once they come out on DVD. It's $5 admission. We'll just wait for "The Hobbit" and in the meantime, go see "Gravity" which is coming soon.

Ya know, I don't want to be overwhelmed by a movie. I've saw an IMAX movie at Disney World many, many years before it ever came to theaters. I was so overwhelmed, I didn't even enjoy the movie. IMO, it's sensory overload. Maybe it's just my age now, but whatever. I have no desire to see IMAX or 3D. The other IMAX-like movies I saw many years ago what were a travelog with beautiful scenery that felt like you were flying in the airplane. It was ok. The other was from a roller coaster pov and a tad disconcerting. Those were at Six Flags in the 70's.

I want to kick back and be immersed in the storyline, not be part of it.

PostPosted: 01/26/14 10:32 am • # 3 

There are different types of 3-D. Back in the 1950's, they used red and blue lens. Today, the systems are more sophisticated, using polarization, and there are different types. Real D is the particular type of 3-D that is used for that particular movie.

There is also "true" 3-D (where two cameras were used to film the movie) and computer-generated 3-D. For instance, the 2-D movie Titanic, and 2-D Star Wars movies were converted by computers to 3-D. Most movies are filmed in 2-D and converted to 3-D in post-production (the new Star Trek movies, for instance, are done this way). The Hobbit movies were filmed in real 3-D.

Quote:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Real_D_3D

RealD 3D cinema technology is a polarized 3D system that uses circularly polarized light to produce stereoscopic image projection. The advantage of circular polarization over linear polarization is that viewers are able to tilt their head and look about the theater naturally without seeing double or darkened images. However, as with other systems, any significant head tilt will result in incorrect parallax and prevent the brain from correctly fusing the stereoscopic images.

The high-resolution, digital cinema grade video projector alternately projects right-eye frames and left-eye frames, switching between them 144 times per second.

Here is a list of real 3-D and "fake" 3-D movies:

http://realorfake3d.com/

Page 1 of 1   [ 3 posts ] New Topic Add Reply