It is currently 06/01/24 7:10 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Page 1 of 1   [ 12 posts ]
PostPosted: 06/20/09 5:17 am • # 1 
I'm not sure if this is a question of the day or question of the week now. [img]/domainskins/bypass/img/smileys/happy.gif[/img]

As I'm sitting here watching yet another storm start rolling in (in the past two months, I think we've had more rainy days than sunny ones...bleh), this question comes to mind.

What do you like to do as rainy day activities? Y'know, assuming all the housekeeping chores are done, how do you while away the time when it's too rainy to do things outside?

PostPosted: 06/20/09 7:50 am • # 2 
Calluna wrote:
I'm not sure if this is a question of the day or question of the week now. Image

As I'm sitting here watching yet another storm start rolling in (in the past two months, I think we've had more rainy days than sunny ones...bleh), this question comes to mind.

What do you like to do as rainy day activities? Y'know, assuming all the housekeeping chores are done, how do you while away the time when it's too rainy to do things outside?
I think the sun's coming out now. Hooray!!!! Image

It doesn't matter much to me whether it is rainy or not. I went to the orchid show in the rain and bought six very cool orchids for the house. I am attempting to place them in good places around the house. Since I don't like the boat or fishing much, the only real difference the rain makes is whether I go in swimming or not.

I am reading The Reader right this minute. I want to see if there is something in the book that I missed in the movie or if the whole plot just didn't resonate with me. I have Second Opinion recommended by sooz and sammy as an excellent book next up in my queue.

PostPosted: 06/20/09 8:14 am • # 3 
Wow, 6 orchids is a lot! I think orchids are beautiful, but they're expensive little buggers. [img]/domainskins/bypass/img/smileys/happy.gif[/img] I finally do have a perfect place to grow some, though, so am just hesitating on plant stands vs. hanging planters. I want to put them in my entry way. There are sidelights next to the front door that I've just put some sheer curtains on to filter the sun and give me more privacy, and I think it would be perfect for orchids.

Is it bad that I'm already looking at the two windows in the living room and thinking it would be better to have one large bay window so I could put plants in it?

The sun has come back out here too, but not before I had my two glasses of wine that make me unfit to operate a lawnmower. [img]/domainskins/bypass/img/smileys/happy.gif[/img] I end up spending rainy days either online or reading books usually.

I'm still trying to get a room painted, but can't even do that on rainy days, because it's the lower level of the house...the windows are right at ground level, so if I kept them open for fresh air and it rained, the rain would all come in the windows. Very frustrating, because it's a wonderfully cool day to have windows open while painting, and I want to get that room finished!

PostPosted: 06/20/09 9:05 am • # 4 

Today was Waldor Orchids summer sale (20 percent off). They are still pretty expensive though. I bought the easiest to maintain as I love flowers but do not have a green thumb.

http://www.waldor.com/

Is it bad that I'm already looking at the two windows in the living room and thinking it would be better to have one large bay window so I could put plants in it?

I think everyone sees new projects in their homes. Hubby wants to build a greenhouse and our gardener is excited about it and designing God knows what. Waldor's has a koi pond in the middle of their greenhouse which I thought was cool. I think I've told you I had bad luck in the past with koi and blue herons so putting one inside with the orchids and other plants would be a solution.

I am going out back and pick a magnolia (I love how they scent the whole house) before it downpours again.

Have another glass of wine. LOL!

Last edited by kathyk1024 on 06/20/09 3:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 06/20/09 10:52 am • # 5 
kathyk1024 wrote:

Today was Waldor Orchids summer sale (20 percent off). They are still pretty expensive though. I bought the easiest to maintain as I love flowers but do not have a green thumb.

http://www.waldor.com/

You're in NJ? (Got that from the location of Waldor's on their website.) I didn't know that. I've probably mentioned a million times that's where I grew up. [img]/domainskins/bypass/img/smileys/smile.gif[/img] They aren't too far from where my sister lives now. Hmm...that's dangerous to know. Or...hmm...do they ship? *runs off to check their shipping fees*

I'm thinking about the koi pond while watching my plants shrivel up and die while drowning in my backyard. When I first moved in, I considered a pond, and then though, nah, it's only going to be that wet when it rains, and most days it'll be dry and a pond will be too much work. Of course, it seems to have rained non-stop and drowned everything in the low area of my yard (that I'm landscaping because mowing grass there is worse than watching plants die). I should've put in the pond plants I considered planting, but of course if I had, we'd be having a drought now.

PostPosted: 06/20/09 12:32 pm • # 6 
Editorialist

Sometimes we throw a fire on, and roast marshmellows in the fireplace for the kids.

I never had much luck painting in really damp weeks. Maybe it's my imagination, but it always seemed to take forever for the paint to dry, or it would go kind of gummy.

It feels like we've had our 40 days and 40 nights up here, too. We were going to go camping this weekend, but bailed.Image

PostPosted: 06/20/09 3:13 pm • # 7 
Yea, I'm in Linwood, NJ. Calluna, where is your sister located?

GAT - I think we are past 40 days and 40 nights. It's predicted all this week, too. When it finally stops raining I am sure the mosquitos will eat us alive.

PostPosted: 06/21/09 9:11 am • # 8 
My sister is in Mays Landing.

The mosquitoes have already started showing up here, and I don't yet have a screen door to my deck. I considered getting one while at Lowe's today, but thought it might turn into a giant sail while tying it to the roof of the car (I don't have any vehicle big enough to fit a screen door into, so it'd have to go on the roof).

So, it's on my long list of things that are too big to fit in my car but not yet enough to justify the delivery fees. At some point, the list will be long enough and I'll get it all delivered in one order, or I can impose upon one of my friends with a pick-up truck to help me get it all. For now, it keeps my cat entertained all night chasing moths and mosquitoes that get in.

PostPosted: 06/22/09 1:14 am • # 9 
Administrator

Good question, Calluna ~ altho I can't remember the last time ALL my household chores were done at the same time ~ there is always something that is waiting to be done ~ but my guess is if that ever happened, I would do what I normally do ~ reading, needlepoint, playing online [either in VoC or games] ~ during cold/gray/winter days especially, I love to spend time cooking ~ I'm becoming a big "experimentor" in the kitchen ~ and I admit some "experiments" are more successful than others ~ Image

BTW Calluna, if you read fiction, you might enjoy the book that Sammy recommended to me and that we recommended to KK ~ Second Opinion by Michael Palmer ~ Palmer writes medical thrillers/mysteries ~ the fantastic main character, Thea, is a doctor, from a family of doctors, and she has Asperger's Syndrome ~ she took a different route than her sibling docs and has been working in Africa for Doctors Without Borders ~ the story focuses on events that unfold when she comes home because of a family crisis ~ it's a great read and Thea is a very special and very endearing character ~

Sooz

PostPosted: 06/22/09 8:22 am • # 10 
Thanks for the book recommendation. That sounds interesting. Maybe I'll pick it up for reading on my flight to Mozambique; it might be appropriate. [img]/domainskins/bypass/img/smileys/happy.gif[/img]

PostPosted: 06/22/09 9:10 am • # 11 
Administrator

Can I come, too? I'll carry your books. Image

PostPosted: 06/22/09 11:43 am • # 12 
Only if you promise to shoo all the mosquitoes away from me too. [img]/domainskins/bypass/img/smileys/happy.gif[/img] Though, I think it's the dry season when there are less mosquitoes. I finally have the tickets booked (the funding finally came through...you know, at the usual breakneck pace that anything tied to the Federal government happens, so the early June plans for the trip didn't happen because we had no money to pay for the tickets in time, and instead pushed it to the end of July and beginning of August). So, I think I'll finally escape the summer rains by flying south to winter. Ummmmm....

I'm looking forward to the adventure, but not the flights. I think there are still forms to fill out to tell someone in the Federal government and at a local mission in Mozambique who my next of kin are. Yikes!

Page 1 of 1   [ 12 posts ] New Topic Add Reply