It is currently 05/17/24 5:38 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next   Page 5 of 7   [ 166 posts ]
 Post subject: Re: Yard buddy....
PostPosted: 04/05/16 9:16 am • # 101 
Editorialist

She made it through the night, but slipped away about 8:30 this morning. I picked her up and buried her under the crabapple tree.

Vet said there's really no way to know what went wrong, but since she was a runt and deformed to start with it's quite possible that she was born with other issues we just couldn't see (neurological/metabolic, etc.)

I feel awful for her, but even worse for the family that was ready to adopt her. :brhrt

PostPosted: 04/05/16 10:18 am • # 102 
Editorialist

I was thinking other issues too, incompletely developed organs etc. Nature can seem cruel, but the family will find another kitten to love, maybe even a sibling? You did all that you can do, Chaos. I think loss increases the intensity of our love.

PostPosted: 04/05/16 12:21 pm • # 103 
Editorialist

Thanks, queen. The head of the rescue is going to mention Shadow to Meg's wouldhavebeen mom since they look so much alike.

My gut says Meg may have had a heart attack or a stroke, just from the way she was acting last night. Kiddo-the-vet-tech-student noticed that she always had a very hard and rapid heartbeat, even when sitting still which is what she did most of the time. Never really tried to play. And always hunched up in a little ball...perched on our knees, on top of the kitten warmer, on top of the other kittens. Now that I'm walking through every minute in my head....I think last night was the first time I ever saw her laying on her side. Maybe her mom didn't crush her or her sibling after all? I guess we'll never know.

I haven't lost a kitten since about 1977, when our neighbor found a litter in their garage and brought 4 newborns to us but only 3 made it. Losing some is just the reality of fostering. Onward!

PostPosted: 04/05/16 5:05 pm • # 104 
Editorialist

RIP little Meg. :drfl

PostPosted: 04/05/16 6:39 pm • # 105 
Editorialist

<sigh>

Had to take Shadow and Bear to the vet, it's got them too. Must be viral, not congenital. Shadow is half gone already, so I don't have much hope for Bear. Could be distemper, could be something simple that a healthy cat can shrug off but a weakened kitten can't fight.

Whatever it is it's unlikely that they contracted it here, but it sure is here now.

We've evacuated kitty city to the back yard, and *everything* that can't be bleached to kingdom come tomorrow is in the trash. Spent the past few hours disinfecting everything we even think we might have come in contact with. Much more work to do but I'm worn out and quitting for tonight.

None of our cats have any symptoms at this point, let's hope it stays that way. Won't be safe to foster anybody for a loooong time.

Kitty City is closed until further notice. :(

PostPosted: 04/06/16 8:11 am • # 106 
Editorialist

:\'(

PostPosted: 04/06/16 10:30 am • # 107 
Editorialist

Surprise! They made it through the night! I did NOT expect that call this morning, I was tongue-tied. lol

Not out of the woods yet and staying at the vet, but there's hope.

( Hubby says I fell asleep sitting up last night. :lol )

PostPosted: 04/08/16 9:42 pm • # 108 
Editorialist

Shadow was discharged from the vet tonight, and seems like a completely different kitten! He eats! He PLAYS! He eats more! Little bit of an attitude! Bitches when we put him to bed! lol We'll be keeping a very close eye on him, of course.

Bear is still at the vet and *still* has the runs. But he's eating well and he's on the IV to prevent dehydration, so hopefully that's enough to keep him going while he fights off whatever the hell this is.

PostPosted: 04/10/16 8:18 am • # 109 
Editorialist

Great news!

:tup

PostPosted: 04/10/16 9:59 am • # 110 
Administrator

Your perseverance is remarkable, Chaos ~ I know I couldn't do it ~ but I'm very glad the news on these fosters is improving ~

Sooz

PostPosted: 04/10/16 9:58 pm • # 111 
Editorialist

Well here's some other good news Sooz: Peyton has been sleeping on the bed with the oldest daughter in her new family. :happydance

Meanwhile...Shadow decided there's only one kind of food he really wants to gobble, and of course I was out. HAS to be at least 4 dozen other cans down there but noooooooo. lol So I zipped to the store and as luck would have it the rescue director was there. She hooked him up with a bunch of the food he likes plus other supplies. (This is why I like working with this rescue! Whatever the kitties need, they get!) When I got home he scarfed down almost half a can and took a good long belly-is-full nap.

He's still not drinking enough water so he'll have to put up with me and the oral syringe until he does. And he's a little lonely all by himself. Loves to snooze on my lap and make happy feet but as soon as I put him in bed he complains. :lol

No word on Bear since Saturday but he was holding steady and the overnight tech adores him.

PostPosted: 04/14/16 9:24 pm • # 112 
Editorialist

Well, little man Bear was discharged on Monday. But he STILL has the runs. Not terribly surprising, since he's still on 2 antibiotics but it sure does make a lot more work.

On that note, a helpful hint: coconut oil is great for cleaning dried poo off a kitten. LOL! I just didn't have a soap gentle enough to not irritate his poor tender rear end and back legs, but the coconut oil does the trick and doesn't dry out his skin.

Plus, he likes the taste. :lol

PostPosted: 04/22/16 11:43 am • # 113 
Editorialist

Well, Bear is improving little by little. Finished his meds and had a couple of great days, but then the runs returned. 2 steps forward, 1 step back. He's bored as hell and did manage to zip past me and take a tour of the basement a few times. lol
Shadow has decided he wants to be carried around all day. Every time I put him down, he just yells at me until I pick him up again. Not eating as well as he had been, not sure why. Good thing we have a yard cat to finish all the cans I keep opening trying to find a flavor he wants to gobble. :lol

New adventure this week...
A sweet kitty wandered into the shop where hubby works and made himself at home. There's lots of cats hanging around, but he's a new face. Entirely too friendly to be a stray. They've been putting him out at night (so he doesn't set off the alarm) and the other cats have been picking on him. Not neutered, so they see him as competition.

Looong story short, he was dumped there by some asswipe who works a few doors down. :angry And they clearly didn't take very good care of him to begin with. Not neutered, not up to date on vaccinations, skinny and dirty and limping from a wound on one leg.

But he's so loving he'll jump into ANY available lap for a snooze. Had the boss trapped in his chair yesterday. lol I met him earlier today and even though he had never met me before he was sucking up every bit of affection I was willing to give him. So he'll be coming here tonight. (Not a surprise to any of you, I'm sure.) The rescue is going to take him on, get him vetted and put him up for adoption. We'll have to set him up in the garage since the kitty inn is full.

Not that I needed more to do around here kitty-wise, but the poor boy needs help and we're the only ones willing.

PostPosted: 04/22/16 10:50 pm • # 114 
You are a saint, chaos.

PostPosted: 04/23/16 10:48 am • # 115 
Editorialist

Oh, don't think for a second that hubby didn't have a hand in this, kath. lol He really has a soft spot for this furry fella. Last night he went out about 11 to check on "Rusty". Dozed off in a chair in the garage for almost an hour, while our new gust snoozed in the crate-even though the door was open. :lol

So far so good, Rusty looooves his cushy clean blanket and can't get enough to eat. And I swear...he looked so HAPPY to see a litter box. I think he missed having "modern cat plumbing". :D

PostPosted: 04/27/16 11:29 am • # 116 
Editorialist

Rusty went to the vet this morning and all is well! Wasn't too happy about getting blood drawn, but who is? lol He purred through the rest of the visit. Neuter scheduled for 5/12.

Compared to the kittens, this dude is easy.

PostPosted: 04/27/16 5:31 pm • # 117 
Editorialist

The best cat I had was one that had wandered into my boyfriends workplace. For some reason I can't remember her name, but I remember that she seem to be SO grateful to be claimed and given a forever home. A great snuggler. However, she wandered away about 3 months later and never came back. At least we gave her a lot of loving during that time and she was very happy.

Chaos I have to believe that if there is a kitty heaven, that is where you and hubby will end up after you've left this earthly existence. You both have huge hearts of gold and all of the kitties you've helped were lucky to have been in your care.

PostPosted: 04/27/16 6:31 pm • # 118 
Editorialist

Hubby says "Puppers too!" :lol

PostPosted: 04/27/16 10:17 pm • # 119 
I'll modify it.

You and Hubby are both saints.

PostPosted: 04/28/16 8:49 am • # 120 
Editorialist

Bear is having butt issues again. I had to take him to the vet on Monday to get "unplugged" because his rear was swollen to the size of a golf ball. (I missed a whole chapter of his story this week...lol) By the time I got home they were on the phone and he was ready to be picked up.

By Tuesday, he'd unloaded 12 times in the litter box and felt like a new man. (I would too!) Got his first chance to play with his brother since 4/6 and they had a bratty-brother-smackdown BLAST!

But yesterday the swelling started again and despite Miralax (per vet) and A&D ointment it looks like he may need help again. I'm going to try one more dose and give it a few hours....

PostPosted: 05/01/16 11:06 am • # 121 
Editorialist

Got a call this morning from someone who thinks Rusty is their long-lost cat. She's on the way to see him. Fingers crossed!

PostPosted: 05/04/16 7:19 am • # 122 
Editorialist

Chaos333 wrote:
Got a call this morning from someone who thinks Rusty is their long-lost cat. She's on the way to see him. Fingers crossed!

??? Can't leave us hanging.

Poor Bear. How's he doing?

PostPosted: 05/04/16 12:11 pm • # 123 
Editorialist

Sorry-thought I did! Oops!

They are convinced it's their lost boy "Yankee". I'm a little less convinced based on the baby pictures they had ( I think the markings are ever so slightly different) but if it isn't him it's darn near his twin. lol They were moving back in Jan. and asked a neighbor to watch him the day the movers were coming so he wouldn't get out. When they went back to get him they were told he got outside and vanished. The name of the guy that dumped him at the shop isn't the same name as the people they left him with. But who knows? How he got from A to B may remain a mystery.

But they still have to apply for him and pay the adoption fee like anyone else if they want him back. And he can't go anywhere until he's neutered. Last I heard she had already filled out the application. :)

Meanwhile....Bear managed to unblock himself about an hour before his vet appointment Monday. It was kind of impressive. :eek2 LOL! I still took them in for vaccinations (they were due) and a weigh in. Bear isn't gaining, still under 2 lbs. (Then again, I swear he shat about a 1/2 pound of crap just before we went, so...) But doc said to just keep doing what I'm doing and time will tell. Could be some malabsorption issues going on, among other things. But he's still as sweet as the always was, and has a hearty appetite.

Shadow is 2.5 pounds, he's gained back all he'd lost and then some. But he does have a grade 1 heart murmur. His adopters will have to keep an eye on it. Doesn't seem to slow him down at all though! He's a wild man!

PostPosted: 05/04/16 12:21 pm • # 124 
Editorialist

Thanks for the updates. :)

Bear could just be a teeny kitty. We had one from a litter that would fit in my t-shirt pocket at 8 weeks old! She was very healthy. Named her Tiny, of course.

PostPosted: 05/05/16 8:14 am • # 125 
Editorialist

roseanne wrote:
Thanks for the updates. :)

Bear could just be a teeny kitty. We had one from a litter that would fit in my t-shirt pocket at 8 weeks old! She was very healthy. Named her Tiny, of course.

Of course! :)

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next   Page 5 of 7   [ 166 posts ] New Topic Add Reply