It is currently 05/17/24 5:40 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next   Page 6 of 7   [ 166 posts ]
 Post subject: Re: Yard buddy....
PostPosted: 05/12/16 7:39 pm • # 126 
Editorialist

Rusty had his neuter today and the doc checked a wound on his leg that wasn't healing, turned out it was a small abscess. Glad that's taken care of! He's still a little woozy and VERY hungry. lol

Meanwhile, the lady that claimed him as hers still hasn't submitted the application for him. If she's changed her mind, I wish she would just say so. grrrr

And....<sigh>...poor little Bear is all backed up again (going on 4 days) and now isn't eating. Just tried a warm sitz bath (and he's such good sport about baths) but it didn't help. Vet tomorrow at 6PM, hope they can unclog him. I really would hate to have to give up on sweet Bear and I know the rescue would hate it too, but this doesn't seem to be getting better, he's still not gaining any weight and he's miserable. Again! :(

PostPosted: 05/26/16 6:27 am • # 127 
Editorialist

Well, Shadow will be heading to PetSmart to make his debut in the adoption center today! Boy are we going to miss him! But I don't think it will take long for him to find a family since he's got good looks *and* personality. lol

I'll be picking up the paperwork for Rusty the garage kitty while I'm there so his adopters can just pick him up from here when they're ready.

That would leave little Bear all alone in the basement. But wait! More kittens are checking in on Friday night. LMAO! 3 are half-siblings to Bear and look just like him, one is a teeny tuxedo girl from another litter.

I really did plan on taking a little break after Bear moved out. Yup. That was the plan. :lol

PostPosted: 05/26/16 9:04 am • # 128 
Editorialist

:lol You sure have come a long way.

PostPosted: 05/26/16 7:42 pm • # 129 
Editorialist

queenoftheuniverse wrote:
:lol You sure have come a long way.

Ain't it the truth? :lol

Shadow met up with his dad and uncle at the adoption center today. Settled right in. :)

Rusty went home tonight! Hubby was actually a little choked up. He generally tries to keep his distance from our guests because it breaks his heart when they leave, but he spent hours every evening out in the garage with Rusty (usually watching hockey together, lol) and got attached. Oops. Ouch. :brhrt

So I *thought* I was picking up a Manny, Moe, Jack and Josie from the vet tonight. Turns out we have a Josie and the Pussycats-all girls!-So Josie, Valerie, Melodie and Alexandra. lol

Took Bear over to the vet too, and he's gained a pound! Yipeee! However, at 16 weeks he weighs about the same as the others, who are only 4 and 5 weeks old. Yikes.

PostPosted: 05/30/16 11:05 am • # 130 
Editorialist

Looks like Rusty will be coming back. For some reason he is NOT happy there, already bit mom and dad. <sigh>

PostPosted: 06/08/16 10:13 pm • # 131 
Editorialist

Shadow was adopted!! Yay!

Rusty is still with his people. They wanted to give him more time to settle down and get used to his new surroundings before giving up on him.

Little Josie (the smallest) and Bear (the big boy, he's at least twice her size) LOVE to play together. They pretty much ignore everybody else and just have a blast during play time!

Melodie is the new resident escape artist. Takes her about half a second to go over the barrier and then she RUNS. It's a game! She's also become the most vocal and cuddly, and when not making a break for it she's ON your lap. Put her down...she jumps back up. We did that 15 times in a row this morning, I was cracking up.

PostPosted: 06/29/16 3:58 pm • # 132 
Editorialist

Had the foster kids to the vet for checkups and shots today.

Bear has doubled his weight-yay! But now he has ringworm on his ear. Boo! I must have contaminated him somehow, but I can't figure out how since I bleach the bejeebus out of everything all the time. It just showed up a few days ago, and Rusty the garage cat foster (who had it first) has been gone for weeks. In better news, Friday will be 2 weeks without giving him Miralax with every meal and so far he's "moving right along" with no blockages...lol.

The girls have all gained back the weight they lost at first, plus some. (We had a tough couple of weeks and had to feed them with an oral syringe, etc. etc.) Kiddo noticed the other day that Alexandra's eyes were cloudy when light hit them a certain way. Doc checked it out and sure enough, she has kitten cataracts. We know she can see, we just don't know how well she can see or if it will get worse. Only time will tell. (I had no idea congenital cataracts in kittens were even a thing. Learned something new today.)

PostPosted: 07/13/16 8:29 am • # 133 
Editorialist

Greetings from ringworm central. lol As expected, we're seeing it on 4 of 5 kittens. So lots of extra, extra cleaning and sterilizing as well as schmearing anti-fungal creams is going on. lol The doc told me to be prepared for this and that no matter HOW much I cleaned all we could do was wait and see, since Bear was in direct contact with the girls until the day before his symptoms showed. (We haven't let them play together since the last vet visit but...oh well.) Kiddo also has a suspicious spot so she gets schmeared too. LOL

I have no doubt that it's in the house now, at least on some microscopic level. So far no symptoms on any of our critters, but it won't come a a surprise if it happens. Yes, there is an oral ringworm med. But we're trying to avoid it because 1) it's really tough on kitten tummies and 2) it's pretty pricey.

In better news, Bear is still Miralax free and not having any BM issues. YAY! Growing like a weed and eating like a horse. I started introducing a variety of canned foods and have yet to find one he doesn't snarf right down and digest without a problem. A few months ago I seriously wondered if he even had a future but now it looks bright. Next step: see what dry food does. Makes me nervous but we do need to know if he's going to have dietary restrictions so his adopters know what they're getting into.

Alexandra (cataract kitty) has been really bouncy and doesn't seem to be bothered at all by her eye issue. <whew!> Everybody is happy and full of energy.

PostPosted: 07/26/16 7:59 pm • # 134 
Editorialist

Taking the kids to the vet tomorrow. The girls need their last vaccination, and they all need a check on the ringworm situation.

Plus, we need the doc to check Bear for a heart murmur. He's done some open-mouth breathing after playing hard lately.

PostPosted: 08/09/16 8:52 pm • # 135 
Editorialist

So far so good on introducing dry food to Bear. I've been adding it to his meals and he LOOOOVES it. lol

The rescue said that they had some supplies put aside for me over at PetSmart so I stopped by to pick them up on Monday. Found an *entire shopping cart* full of litter and canned food with my name on it. Yay!!! Good thing, too-these little minions sure can go through it.

Don't want to jinx anything, but we think the ringworm is winding down. Haven't seen any new spots pop up lately. Still schmearing some old spots, and seeing fur growing back on others. Fingers crossed.

PostPosted: 09/07/16 6:48 pm • # 136 
Editorialist

Taking the "kids" for another ringworm test tomorrow. Kiddo will be in school, so I'll have to juggle all 5 by myself. lol

Oh I HOPE we get good news.

PostPosted: 09/07/16 9:19 pm • # 137 
Editorialist

[font=][/font]
Chaos333 wrote:
Taking the "kids" for another ringworm test tomorrow. Kiddo will be in school, so I'll have to juggle all 5 by myself. lol

Oh I HOPE we get good news.

Fingers crossed!

PostPosted: 09/08/16 9:13 am • # 138 
Editorialist

Lol at a vision of you "actually juggling" cats

PostPosted: 09/08/16 10:11 am • # 139 
Administrator

One of my [former] boss' favorite lines when describing how he managed [then] 800+ lawyers: It feels like I'm "herding kittens" ~ :b

Sooz

PostPosted: 09/10/16 12:13 pm • # 140 
Editorialist

:lol

Well, no test.

Even though the last 2 spots of ringworm were healed and growing new fur, doc said she wants at least 30 days without any spots (no matter how small) before testing, or they're likely to fail. <sigh>

In better news, everybody gained weight. Even little Josie the skinny gal. And Bear is over 9 pounds!!!
:eek

PostPosted: 09/10/16 1:28 pm • # 141 
Editorialist

Wow! 9lbs?

(I may have said this before) Just think about how your kitten daycare adventure started, beyond your own fur babies. One hungry, pregnant stray and a determined woman who wanted to win her over. :fl
Almost 2 years ago!

PostPosted: 09/12/16 8:19 am • # 142 
Editorialist

I do think about that, twice a day when we're taking meals to Mama the yard kitty. "You started all this!!" :lol

She's still part of the story. Spends lots of time on top of the garden shed, snoozing. Take food out and she'll get within about six feet and flop over and roll around on her back, all lovey-dovey. Even broke her vow of silence this summer and we get the occasional meow. :D

PostPosted: 10/12/16 8:32 am • # 143 
Editorialist

Gave the foster kids a bath yesterday. Quite an adventure! They're not so teeny anymore, and not very cooperative. Kiddo helped but it still took a little over 3 hours for the 5 of them. And they were *pissed*! LOL! But my goodness did they need it. We do use newspaper on the bottom of their cages so they pick up a lot of "news ink".

Ringworm test today. Fingers crossed. We haven't seen any new spots since before the last visit and that's more than the 30 days they wanted.

PostPosted: 10/12/16 2:45 pm • # 144 
Editorialist

"You bathed them yesterday? Well then, we can't do the test today. We could get a false negative. Come back Friday."

:angry

PostPosted: 10/13/16 8:36 am • # 145 
Editorialist

Bathing cats sounds more difficult than herding cats.

PostPosted: 10/13/16 9:34 am • # 146 
Editorialist

Bathing cats sounds more difficult than herding cats.

LOL!

Teeny kitten baths, no problem. They aren't that strong yet. Hold with one hand, wash with the other.

Bear weighs over 11 pounds now. Which officially makes him the biggest/heaviest cat in the entire house.

*That* was angry wet cat wrestling 101!

PostPosted: 10/13/16 12:18 pm • # 147 
Editorialist

Youtube series....

PostPosted: 10/13/16 9:11 pm • # 148 
Editorialist

Youtube series....

:lol

PostPosted: 10/14/16 10:06 pm • # 149 
Editorialist

Okay, no more balls for Bear! He was still pretty loopy when I picked him up, but he was hooowwwllling for food. I had to make him wait until he sobered up a little.

When we went to give him supper, he was really really REALLY hyper. I'm not sure if it's a reaction to the anesthesia or if he just had one helluva nap this afternoon but he could NOT hold still. Hope he's back to normal tomorrow.

PostPosted: 10/21/16 2:32 pm • # 150 
Editorialist

Yaaay! It's official-ringworm NEGATIVE! We did it! Only took about 25 gallons of bleach, a few months, antifungal creams, special shampoos, quarantine and lots of elbow grease. lol

Bear got to come upstairs and RUN! Met some new cat friends, said hello to the dogs and handled all that very well. It's going to be double tough to hand him over to the adoption center. Our longest foster yet! And I'm really going to miss my Bear hugs. :(

Girls get spayed next week.

Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next   Page 6 of 7   [ 166 posts ] New Topic Add Reply