It is currently 05/18/24 8:52 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Page 1 of 1   [ 8 posts ]
 Post subject: It's ON
PostPosted: 04/18/15 9:43 am • # 1 
Editorialist

Just watched a 30 minute battle between two big 'ol tom turkeys. I was 10 feet away-amazing! They were serious.

There's been gobbling all around the neighborhood all morning! lol

Post subject: Re: It's ON
PostPosted: 04/18/15 9:51 am • # 2 
Administrator

We have a lot of dogs/cats/birds in this building ~ but your neighbors have ... turkeys? ~ :eek

Sooz

PostPosted: 04/18/15 10:25 am • # 3 
Editorialist

Wild or domestic? Wild turkeys are vicious.

PostPosted: 04/18/15 8:40 pm • # 4 
Editorialist

These are the neighborhood wild turkeys. They do come over the fence and into our yard once in a while, but not often.
In the middle of the ruckus, our yard cat came running to get INTO the yard. LOL!

PostPosted: 04/19/15 5:55 am • # 5 
Editorialist

Turkeys visit us here, too. In the spring there were a dozen of them under the apple tree. Yesterday one ran across the back yard, in a hurry to get somewhere. Curious that she didn't fly there.

PostPosted: 04/19/15 3:17 pm • # 6 
Editorialist

I would think that flying takes more energy?
Ours have been known to fly up and roost in the trees overnight, but I never see them fly at any other time.

I realized today that there haven't been any turkey-caused traffic jams on our street this spring. "Big Daddy" tom-the biggest of them all- used to just stand there and gobble back at cars that honked at him. They pissed him off! lol

He must have been pretty old for a wild guy, and maybe his time was up? If I hear car horns, I'll be glad.

PostPosted: 04/20/15 6:58 am • # 7 
Editorialist

I think I've told this story before, but indulge an old lady......... :b

In Alabama, we lived in the country and had lots of critters. One day I hear a very distressed call from something. When I went out, it was a turkey. She was crying and crying, trotting back towards the woods and back again. I investigated and found her babies trapped by a couple of my cats! Oh my!
So, I got my cats into the house and then herded the Mom back to the babies. She ushered them up by the house, across the dirt road and through the fence on the other side one at a time, while I made sure no cars were coming (there were only 5 houses on our dead end road, so not much of a danger :b ).Then she flew over the fence without as much as a thank you. lol

It was a sight to behold and thrilled me. Most of the time, the turkeys stayed on the property next to us that had good cover with bushes and small trees. It has been clear cut a few years earlier. I usually only saw them when I went for walks on the firebreak paths.

PostPosted: 04/20/15 1:44 pm • # 8 
Editorialist

Oh my!! No wonder mama was so upset!

I'm surprised she didn't kick a little kitty butt herself-they're certainly big enough.

Page 1 of 1   [ 8 posts ] New Topic Add Reply