It is currently 04/28/24 4:36 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Page 1 of 1   [ 10 posts ]
PostPosted: 06/11/15 7:20 am • # 1 
Editorialist

Just a heads up. I was talking to my neighbor last night, who is in a panic.

Sometime in March, without their knowledge, PSE&G swapped the electric meter on the side of the house to a new digital "SmartMeter". For the past 20 years, their bills averaged @$130-$150 a month. (About the same as ours.) Theirs is supposedly the only house on that line, it runs past the back of other properties to get to them.

The first bill after installation of the new meter was over $500. After opening the bill, her husband went out to look at the meter and that's when he noticed that it had been changed. They call, first excuse is that it's a "cold month, so they must be using more electricity to heat the house". They heat with oil.

PSE&G sends someone out to check...he says there's nothing wrong with it. Next bill is over $600. They call again...company refuses to admit that something is wrong. Tells them there "must be something in the house using a lot of power". Nothing in the house has changed. Now they're pissed, the contact the Board of Public Utilities, who tells them they can file a complaint but they can't send someone to check the meter because it's PSE&G property.

Next bill again over $500. Now they start getting nastygrams about being behind on payments and shutoff threats. They call and explain that they have a service ticket open, there's a problem, and mention their chat with the Utilities Board. Another tech is sent out, tinkers with the thing but doesn't seem to know what he's doing. Admits that he's "never even seen one before".

Next bill is down to "only" $260. Still a large past due balance. Yesterday they caught a PSE&G employee-literally-sneaking into their yard to try to shut off their electric. They explained what had been going on, and he left without shutting them off. The company STILL REFUSES to adjust their bill, or even consider adjusting it.

Now they aren't sure what to do or even who to call, but I did find countless articles and comments online that amount to the same story. Already class-action suits over these meters in 2 other states. There's also issues with constant power surges, problems with WiFi, major appliances/computers/ burning out, and in an amusing twist some folks with fancy programmable ceiling fans have their fans change direction/speed every time the meter sends a signal.

In some states, there are "opt out" procedures that involve hefty fees to replace old analog with "new" analog meters, as well as a monthly surcharge for *not* converting to the SmartMeters. But in most states, you can't refuse the upgrade and then you're screwed if there's a problem.

So, beware!

PostPosted: 06/11/15 7:53 am • # 2 
Editorialist

Get the media involved!! Nothing better than investigative journalists and some public exposure to bring them around. I'm sure some local station would LOVE to do this. Everyone hates public utilities, lol.

PostPosted: 06/11/15 7:54 am • # 3 
Administrator

Chaos, utilities are the worst to deal with ~

First you need to find out what other neighbors are affected ~ there really is more power [no pun intended!] to complaints when it is more than one family making the complaint ~ I'd contact local TV stations and anyone else who airs a "what's your problem" segment ~ and especially your suburb's department that is responsible for utilities ~ I'd also consider getting legal help, hopefully someone with experience dealing with utilities ~

Most importantly, prepare yourselves for an outrageously frustrating experience ~ :g

Sooz

PostPosted: 06/11/15 10:12 am • # 4 
Editorialist

Luckily our meter is in the basement, so they can't just sneak up and change it without us knowing. (Doesn't mean they won't insist on it eventually.)

So far we can't find anybody else in the neighborhood who had their meter changed but I asked around this morning. They can't afford a lawyer, so that's out.

The local "On Your Side" consumer reporter was my first suggestion too! lol That and a letter to the local paper. Surely there are other people in the same situation who have PSE&G.

PostPosted: 06/11/15 10:16 am • # 5 
Editorialist

"This stunning video shows a UK homeowner’s “smart” meter racking up usage while electricity is completely shut off:"

http://takebackyourpower.net/news/2015/ ... ues-in-uk/

PostPosted: 06/11/15 10:32 am • # 6 
Administrator

Chaos, I'm betting there are lawyers who will take on this issue pro bono [free] or for a significantly reduced rate just for the value of the publicity ~ it's worth trying to find one ~ you can also check if this is something Legal Aid would be interested in taking on ~ I'd also check with the local Bar Association for a recommendation and/or with local law schools [several now have community-oriented projects] ~

Sooz

PostPosted: 06/12/15 3:23 pm • # 7 
Editorialist

B.C. Hydro did the same thing in the past couple of years. I didn't experience any problems but there were a lot of people who had the same experience as your neighbour.

PostPosted: 06/13/15 9:09 am • # 8 
Administrator

"Smart meters" are good when used properly and horrible when not, especially when used by uncaring/unscrupulous energy producers.

PostPosted: 06/13/15 4:48 pm • # 9 
Editorialist

How difficult could it be for the utility to just swap out that meter? Ten minute job.

PostPosted: 06/13/15 7:12 pm • # 10 
Editorialist

They refuse to swap it because "They already had a technician confirm that it's working properly." :g

Page 1 of 1   [ 10 posts ] New Topic Add Reply