It is currently 05/19/24 1:13 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Page 1 of 1   [ 5 posts ]
 Post subject: Dream trip.
PostPosted: 11/14/15 6:31 am • # 1 
Editorialist

Just recently I've read a little bit about the Lewis and Clark expedition and found myself fantasizing about being a member of the party. What an incredible journey!

Over here we've all heard of 'Route 66' and what an iconic drive that would be, but is there a similar mapped-out road trip following the Lewis and Clark route? I'd love to drive that, although I'll probably never get the chance.

Still, even if it only contributes to a dream any information would be appreciated.

Post subject: Re: Dream trip.
PostPosted: 11/14/15 2:16 pm • # 2 
Editorialist

http://lewisandclark.org/travel/index.php

PostPosted: 11/14/15 3:25 pm • # 3 
Administrator

I was on old Route 66 twice last Saturday on the way out to/home from friends who moved way out in the boondocks ~ Route 66 is a victim of the "get from A to B as fast as possible" mindset ~ it's generally only 2 lanes and meanders thru countryside vs bypassing towns/cities via the interstate highway system ~

I keep playing with the idea of driving the entirety of Route 66, but have not done so ... yet ~ from here to California and back on that route is close to 5,000 miles ~

Sooz

PostPosted: 11/16/15 1:59 pm • # 4 
Editorialist

Thanks Chaos. That's exactly the sort of thing I was looking for.

Route 66 doesn't have the same appeal to me sooz. Its really the idea of following the Missouri west, the mountains, and then the Columbia down to the Pacific that appeals.

Australia is a big country, but there's some things we simply don't have. Among them are real Mountains, BIG rivers and cold weather country. California and the South West look like home to me, but The Dakotas, Wyoming, Idaho, etc. are a different world.

I'm a landscape person.

PostPosted: 11/16/15 7:15 pm • # 5 
I think Jason and then gf Becky traveled Rt 66 from at least Chicago to Portland. (If I remember correctly Jason got kind of sick and Becky did most of the driving. LOL!) I am not much of a ride in the car long distances person. I like looking at new stuff though. Lake Tahoe was great. It looks igneous. The ponderosa pines and huge pinecones were cool.

Page 1 of 1   [ 5 posts ] New Topic Add Reply