It is currently 05/17/24 3:04 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Page 1 of 1   [ 15 posts ]
PostPosted: 04/06/16 10:42 am • # 1 
Editorialist

I thought I'd posted about this, but I guess not? Been a little crazy around here.

Finally had the consultation with the orthodontist a few weeks ago. Interesting! One of her molars is completely rotated, the side that should be against her cheek is against her tongue. lol No reason to spin it around since it looks the same on both sides anyway.

But he says she'll need a palate expansion. Top jaw is just too small, crossbite, not enough room. Back to the oral surgeon for a consult on that. IF we'd started when she was younger (before the palate knitted permanently) we could have skipped the oral surgeon but here we are. She'll need 3 appointments with the orthodontist prior to the oral surgery. Trying to set all this up for over the summer.

They guesstimate that this will take about 30 months and over 6K. Ouch, ouch, ouch. Thankfully they do offer in-house financing. <whew!>

PostPosted: 04/06/16 12:32 pm • # 2 
Editorialist

I would get a second opinion. I would ask a LOT of questions, beginning with "What could happen if we leave things as they are?" My second question would be "What are the risks associated with surgery?" and one other that I can think of "What are the chances that things will misalign in the future?"

Why did this come up? Is she having problems?

I just ask from concern, especially the surgery part. Scares the crap outta me.....for her.

PostPosted: 04/06/16 1:28 pm • # 3 
Editorialist

One of her canine teeth is still trapped up in her gums with no place to go. The other we call "snaggletooth". It only came halfway in, sort of in front of another tooth and it's why she doesn't like to smile in pictures. :(

Her top teeth sit slightly *inside* the bottom teeth (crossbite) instead of the other way around, and none of them line up like they should. Points should meet valleys, but she has points on points. Over time, that wears on your jaw and can cause issues with TMJ down the road. She's been chewing sort of sideways since her adult teeth came in and we didn't really realize it until he asked about that.

So there's both cosmetic and bite/function issues. The expansion will actually cause a gap between her front teeth for a while. She's not happy about that. lol

Talked to the oral surgeon office today. She said there are 2 ways to approach it, and this is the easier/less invasive of the two though it takes longer to get there. Not a picnic, but not uncommon. The expansion device works kind of like a shoe stretcher, we turn a little screw a little every day. Kinda nifty, actually.

PostPosted: 04/06/16 6:18 pm • # 4 
Editorialist

Well yeah, it sounds like that's the best road to take. Good luck to her........and you.

PostPosted: 05/12/16 7:49 pm • # 5 
Editorialist

Well, we had the consult with the oral surgeon this week.

After careful consideration we will NOT be doing the palate surgery. It's waaaayyyy more invasive than the orthodontist implied, would require a hospital stay, many potential complications (including permanent nerve damage in her face) and the tooth still up in her gums is actually in the way so it would not be a standard procedure to start with.

HELL NO! Funny thing was, kiddo wanted to do it at first. But once we explained why we were against it and she gave it some thought overnight, she decided against it too. <whew!>

So I left a message with the orthodontist today and when they call back I'm going to ask for a "Plan B". Oral surgeon suggested that it may be better to just pull a tooth or two to make room and we could improve both her smile and her bite, even if it wasn't "perfect". We'll see what they say.

PostPosted: 05/16/16 3:52 pm • # 6 
Editorialist

I'm glad you've collectively decided against the surgery. Perfect teeth aren't usually natural anyway. In Japan (or China) girls were going to the dentist to make their teeth more crooked. It seems the boys didn't trust the perfect smile and gravitated more toward the more natural look.

She may be able to repeat the procedure when she's older too. The bite is a big thing.

Hubby's cousin got braces in her 40's to close the gap in her front teeth. Hubby has the same, but a larger gap. Tried braces etc. when he was young. Didn't work for him, but he actually has gaps because some teeth never grew in. That same cousin's son has that condition too. No developing teeth under the gum in certain places (he's 12). Must be genetic, eh? I figure if hubby ever loses his front teeth, he can get dentures or a partial that are more "perfect" without a gap. Would make sense. Stupid to get falsies with a gap. lmao.

PostPosted: 05/16/16 8:11 pm • # 7 
Administrator

roseanne wrote:
I'm glad you've collectively decided against the surgery. Perfect teeth aren't usually natural anyway. In Japan (or China) girls were going to the dentist to make their teeth more crooked. It seems the boys didn't trust the perfect smile and gravitated more toward the more natural look.

She may be able to repeat the procedure when she's older too. The bite is a big thing.

Hubby's cousin got braces in her 40's to close the gap in her front teeth. Hubby has the same, but a larger gap. Tried braces etc. when he was young. Didn't work for him, but he actually has gaps because some teeth never grew in. That same cousin's son has that condition too. No developing teeth under the gum in certain places (he's 12). Must be genetic, eh? I figure if hubby ever loses his front teeth, he can get dentures or a partial that are more "perfect" without a gap. Would make sense. Stupid to get falsies with a gap. lmao.

If you get "falsies" I should hope there's a gap or you'll look like a walking book shelf.

PostPosted: 05/18/16 12:15 pm • # 8 
Once 3D printing is affordable, I'm gonna make my own teeth.

PostPosted: 05/24/16 11:43 am • # 9 
Editorialist

Okay, Plan B is in action!

We're going to try the palate expander-without doing the surgery- for 1 month and see what happens. If we get results, we continue down that path. If not, we pull 4 teeth (2 on top, 2 on bottom so things will line up) to make room and proceed.

They put 4 spacers in this morning. One already fell out during Biology class. We go back again this afternoon to pop it back in. LOL!

In related news, it turns out we know their new receptionist! So that's a nice plus.

PostPosted: 05/25/16 10:08 am • # 10 
Editorialist

Sounds like things are going in good direction. Back in the day they always pulled teeth for orthodontia. I had the four bicuspids removed (and later the wisdom teeth- ouch)

PostPosted: 05/25/16 1:09 pm • # 11 
Editorialist

Yup! They pulled a bunch of my teeth and took out lower wisdom teeth for braces. But I had baby teeth that never fell out so they really were just extras. lol

PostPosted: 06/01/16 3:27 pm • # 12 
Editorialist

Two of the spacers wound up falling out over the weekend (after we went back to have the one replaced on the first day).

We were there this morning for impressions and measurements, they replaced the 2 that had fallen out. I dropped her back at school and an hour later the phone rang....another popped out again! Those little bastards just don't want to stay put! :lol We'll go back again Friday and put it back again.

Thankfully, their office is only about 10 minutes from her HS. That does help, especially with these extra trips.

PostPosted: 06/08/16 10:01 pm • # 13 
Editorialist

The palate expander gizmo went in today. Thankfully, there was glue involved so it shouldn't fall out. LOL! Fingers crossed that we get some results.

I almost don't dare to say it...but I have been impressed with this orthodontic office so far. They seem to have a good system in place so things run smoothly, everybody communicates well and does their part. Pleasant atmosphere, the employees all seem very upbeat *and* they all seem to actually LIKE kids.

Hope I didn't just jinx all that. :lol

PostPosted: 10/24/16 8:50 am • # 14 
Editorialist

Hmmm...I haven't updated this in so long I had to go looking for it. LOL!

We DID get results from the palate expander without doing any surgery. Yay! :happydance Today we take the next step and the braces go on.

PostPosted: 10/24/16 9:13 am • # 15 
Editorialist

Yay!

Page 1 of 1   [ 15 posts ] New Topic Add Reply