It is currently 04/28/24 2:55 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Page 1 of 1   [ 10 posts ]
 Post subject: Power Outage
PostPosted: 07/24/16 9:28 am • # 1 
Editorialist

We had a three hour power outage here, and I now have the utmost sympathy for prisoners locked in solitary confinement. I had no, tv, internet, radio access (had no batteries), I did have my phone, but as luck would have it I was charging it when the power went out, and had just enough usage left to call the power company. I would have gone to hang out at the mall, but I was in the shower when the outage happened and my long hair was soaking wet - just as well, I found out the mall lost power also.

I didn't know what to do with myself - read a book - the lighting was terrible, clean, nah, it was hotter than Hades without the air on, eat, no, electric stove. I finally laid down on the couch and contemplated my proverbial “navel" not fun I tell'ya. Navels are not kind, they make you reassess your illusions about yourself being able to make it thru a weekend of camping let alone become a survivor of an apocalypse. Pioneer woman, I am not. Give me all the electrical amenities and I am a happy camper :)

Post subject: Re: Power Outage
PostPosted: 07/24/16 10:23 am • # 2 
Administrator

Sorry for your awful experience, but I confess I'm giggling at your description ~ :b

We are [hopefully] approaching the end of a record-breaking heat/humidity/storm record here ~ every flippin' day this past week has been in the upper 90s with humidity in the 70%-95% range ... which has prompted at least one severe storm per day ~ many areas in the metro Chicago area are [quite literally] "under water", with up to 12" of standing water on some area roads ~

I'm not dealing well with the excessive humidity this year, so I haven't ventured out in a week ~ well, not totally true ... I have gone downstairs to the mini-mall store between my building and the next building for milk and ice cream ... but I don't need to go outside to get there ~ thankfully, my power has not even flickered ~

Glad your ordeal is over, KB ~

Sooz

PostPosted: 07/24/16 10:38 am • # 3 
Administrator

Note to myself: check generator and make sure gas canister is always full.
I bought my first generator after the No-name storm in 1993. On my third now and diligently making sure that I always add gas additive to it after the two first ones got messed up. Had to use it for a few hours once. Now I'm just waiting for a nice hurricane so I really get to use it other than for work.

PostPosted: 07/24/16 11:02 am • # 4 
Editorialist

Oh NO! Welcome back to the modern world!

Do you still have water pressure if the power goes out? A cool tub can make life without AC a little better.

We fired up our generator a few weeks ago, just to make sure it was happy and ready to use should we need it. And I always have a couple of nice big blocks of ice ready in the freezer. (I fill a steel bowl to make blocks, because they last longer.)

PostPosted: 07/24/16 1:55 pm • # 5 
Administrator

You have square bowls?
We use old milk cartons to make blocks of ice. They fit in coolers a little better.
They are also free and I'm a cheapskate.

PostPosted: 07/24/16 5:18 pm • # 6 
Editorialist

Don't forget that you can charge your phone in your car! ;) Can also sit in car for some a/c relief if it's hot. Cook on BBQ/grill if you have one.

PostPosted: 07/24/16 6:04 pm • # 7 
Editorialist

roseanne wrote:
Don't forget that you can charge your phone in your car! ;) Can also sit in car for some a/c relief if it's hot. Cook on BBQ/grill if you have one.

I did not even think of that, but I don't have car charger - had one with the old phone, but did not bother with the new one (may get one now lol). I don't use my phone all that much, it is mainly for emergencies. I may get a tablet after this; just not to feel so isolated and get internet withdrawals. Good idea about the car and air - I may have ended up going for a ride if it lasted much longer. I live in an apartment complex so there is only one area to BBQ and that is for every one to use, not too thrilled about that and it is huge. Chaos- - No, did not lose water pressure, thank goodness. It is bad enough to lose power during the day, but at night it is horrible - so i am grateful it happened during the day.

I am usually more prepared as I live in a hurricane area, but we have not had one in a long time so I got complacent; I am going to the store this week and stocking up on batteries, candles, and some canned goods. I don't have a cooler, but since oskar mentioned it, may get one of those too; I have a lot of those freeze bags to keep things cold, but need advance warning to use them. Bags of ice can be bought at the store if you get there fast enough. This may have been a good thing in the long run - prods me to get in supplies, as I see I was so lax in keeping up with my hurricane preparedness . .

PostPosted: 07/24/16 6:12 pm • # 8 
Editorialist

sooz06 wrote:
Sorry for your awful experience, but I confess I'm giggling at your description ~ :b

We are [hopefully] approaching the end of a record-breaking heat/humidity/storm record here ~ every flippin' day this past week has been in the upper 90s with humidity in the 70%-95% range ... which has prompted at least one severe storm per day ~ many areas in the metro Chicago area are [quite literally] "under water", with up to 12" of standing water on some area roads ~

I'm not dealing well with the excessive humidity this year, so I haven't ventured out in a week ~ well, not totally true ... I have gone downstairs to the mini-mall store between my building and the next building for milk and ice cream ... but I don't need to go outside to get there ~ thankfully, my power has not even flickered ~

Sooz

Thank, sooz. . it is hot here also, similar numbers, and more this week. When i first came down South I thought I was going to die from the heat and humidity - my Yankee blood must have thinned, because now I cannot take the cold any longer. It goes below 40 and I shiver, below freeing and I feel like I am in Alaska. This is from someone who used to like the winter lol

PostPosted: 07/24/16 7:15 pm • # 9 
Editorialist

Quote:
When i first came down South I thought I was going to die from the heat and humidity - my Yankee blood must have thinned, because now I cannot take the cold any longer. It goes below 40 and I shiver, below freeing and I feel like I am in Alaska. This is from someone who used to like the winter lol

Funny how that works, isn't it? As I got older the heat and humidity in Bama was a killer to me. Menopause was torture. But! Humid cold is brutal too. Bone chilling. If you came from a dryer climate, that would explain it.

The first and second winter in Canada, I was like "Oh shoot y'all, it's not THAT cold!" and strutted around in my little lightweight Bama winter jacket. Now I have about 10 coats/jackets for every 10 degree fluctuation. (Have only worn shorts about 5 days so far this summer in BC, where we now reside) The dry cold is refreshing to me. I love the cold and I do not miss the humid heat one iota. One can only get so naked when it's hot. Easier to layer in the winter. :b

PostPosted: 07/24/16 7:34 pm • # 10 
Administrator

Karolinablue wrote:
sooz06 wrote:

Sooz

Thank, sooz. . it is hot here also, similar numbers, and more this week. When i first came down South I thought I was going to die from the heat and humidity - my Yankee blood must have thinned, because now I cannot take the cold any longer. It goes below 40 and I shiver, below freeing and I feel like I am in Alaska. This is from someone who used to like the winter lol

It's called getting older. Even Canucks suffer from it.

Page 1 of 1   [ 10 posts ] New Topic Add Reply