It is currently 04/28/24 6:33 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Page 1 of 1   [ 4 posts ]
 title=
 Post subject: Back to school, hooray!
PostPosted: 08/16/16 7:18 am • # 1 
Editorialist

I know that not all Moms feel this way..but with 5 kids (at one time 7 at home)... ;)
There is a slide show at the link with other "first day" pics.

Alabama mom posts hilarious back-to-school photo, gets worldwide laughs

On the first day of school, Keshia Gardner was feeling under the weather because of a touch of bronchitis. She was already running late to take her five children to school – so late that she forgot to take her annual funny photo.

Then the kids reminded her of the tradition.

"They were all standing there," she said. "I didn't even pose them."

Her husband Andy he filmed a quick video of the kids standing in the background, wearing their new backpacks – some laughing, some looking humiliated, as their mother leapt in front of them – and Keshia later paused the video and captured a couple of the best images.

That's her pro tip for taking the best photos of herself mid-jump. Obviously, she's done this before.

Keshia, who lives in Woodville, Ala., near Scottsboro, posted the funny photos on her Facebook page on Aug. 4, writing, "Happy 1st day of school kids. I'm gonna miss y'all."

Since then, the post has been shared from her page 275,000 times. This past weekend, she and her family appeared on "Fox & Friends," and she taped a Skype interview for HLN.

"I've been blown away by this whole thing," she said in a phone interview Monday. "Everybody all over the world, globally, is looking at Alabama – in a good light – and wanting to know more about where this crazy woman is from!"

Keshia works full-time for the Jackson County legislative delegation. She and her husband own Gardner's Plumbing and Repair, and he also works as a farmer. "We stay very busy," she said. "That's why we try to have as much fun as we can. We love to laugh and enjoy life."

Their children have learned a lot about geography in the past week, she said, as her post has gone viral internationally. They look find the places on a map "where they're talking about us."

"People are Googling the state and my hometown all over the world," she said. "We've been trending from Yakima, Wash., to Taiwan."

From their home, on a cattle and horse farm in the tiny town of Woodville, population 250 – "We do not even have a red light, we have a caution light," she said – the children have been responding to comments in foreign languages via Google Translate. "They're having so much fun with that."

Their mom is having fun, too – especially when Ashton Kutcher and Sara Evans shared her post. "That made me fall on the floor!" she said. And she howls over the fact that she received a message from another Internet celebrity, "Chewbacca Mom," Candace Payne.

She knows that the kind of attention she's getting can be fleeting. But she's thrilled for now to have a platform for her passion: foster children.

The Gardners have seven children, but two of them are in college. Keshia and Andy are "biological, step and foster parents," she wrote on her Facebook page. Over the past 10 years, they have fostered more than 30 children.

Keshia started taking the annual back-to-school photos to show mothers of pre-school and kindergarten-aged children that "it does get better from here," she said. "I wanted to cheer up my friends who were sad when their babies went back to school."

She theorizes that the reason her silly photos have been so popular is that "people wanted some laughter amidst all the chaos in the world, and the political season," she said. In fact, a friend called her Sunday to say she had been in a restaurant in Washington, D.C., when she spotted Keshia on the news.

"She said, 'There you were, between Hillary and Trump,'" Keshia recounted.

"I think people are tired of hearing about politics."

http://www.al.com/living/index.ssf/2016 ... river_home

PostPosted: 08/16/16 5:35 pm • # 2 
Administrator

LOVE the "family attitude"! ~ :st :st :st ~ we need more, much more, of that ~

Sooz

PostPosted: 08/17/16 9:55 am • # 3 
Editorialist

:happydance

PostPosted: 08/18/16 11:37 am • # 4 
Editorialist

I know moms like this, and moms that hate it. I've not been a fan of back to school since high school started. This year I am ambivalent. By next year, I could be oblivious. (sigh)

Page 1 of 1   [ 4 posts ] New Topic Add Reply