It is currently 05/17/24 5:41 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Page 1 of 1   [ 4 posts ]
 Post subject: jimwilliam
PostPosted: 09/22/16 9:06 am • # 1 
Editorialist

I thought this story might interest you.

We had a guest who's license plate from Washington state read "Rag Rug". Naturally, I just had to ask. The woman I talked to said her husbands grandmother, from Norway, wove a rag rug and brought it over to the US with her. She never finished it and then died.(was born in the 1800's) Her granddaughter got the rug and after asking relatives, got the "story" behind the various rag pieces. Something like "that was from your grandmother's sunday dress" etc.
The granddaughter wanted to finish it, but wasn't "crafty" and was or is a writer. Instead she wrote a book about the rug and it's history, including historical references about the family.

This woman I talked to decided to open an antique store years later. Someone in the family suggested the name of "Rag Rug" because of the above story and because a rag rug is made up of bits and pieces that had/have some meaning much like the inventory of an antique store.

Great story, eh? :)

Sadly I didn't get the granddaughters name and can't find the book online. It may have been only published for the family.

Post subject: Re: jimwilliam
PostPosted: 09/25/16 12:30 am • # 2 
Editorialist

That is such a cool story, Roseanne. I love it when I can get the story behind some of the objects I buy and sell. Right now the most interesting thing I have in my store is a polar bear skin. I bought it at an auction but I trying to track down the owners so I can find out where it came from. A few weeks ago I had a replica flint lock pistol which, by itself, was no big deal except it was really well made. A customer came in, was looking at it and said "I've got the real thing at home" and went to get it. I expected it would be just a another flint lock but when he came back it turned out to be an exact duplicate right down to the scroll work and decorations on the brass knobs on the handle. His had been handed down in his family since the eighteenth century and there must have been at least a brace of the pistols with the other one(s) falling into the hands of the guy who made my replica.

PostPosted: 09/25/16 6:08 am • # 3 
Editorialist

Cool story!

Here is a personal one. As a child I had a mahogany rocking chair (child-sized) that my Grandfather, who had once owned a used furniture store, gave to me for my 1st birthday. I rocked my baby dolls in it and even have a strong memory of rocking our cat, Cocoa, in it. I'm sure he loved that, lol.
I even sat in that thing long after I should have and with my developing body, my hips managed to pry the arms loose a little.

Then I got married and left that little rocker with my parents. After the birth of my first daughter, they gave her the rocker. She rocked her baby dolls in it and after her, her sister did too.

Got divorced and left rocker with ex for girls to use at his place. I'm not sure what happened to it after that, but I didn't see it again until.........15 or so years later.

Remarried, I was with my (now) ex at a mall that was having an antique show with booths. I spied a little rocking chair. It had been stripped down to the bare wood, but it's shape was so familiar I decided to inspect it. Sure enough, it was my rocking chair. I knew that by the split in the seat that had been there from as far back as I remember and the still loose arms. I bought it with hopes that my own grands would use it one day, although I didn't have any then.

Second divorce, I left it with that ex and he sold all of our belongings to an estate agent.

I just get a feeling that one day, somewhere, that rocking chair will find it's way back to me. :)

PostPosted: 09/25/16 12:11 pm • # 4 
Editorialist

I just get a feeling that one day, somewhere, that rocking chair will find it's way back to me.

It probably will. Some things just belong with certain people.

I had a truck like that once. It was a 1990 Ford Ranger that I bought second hand in 1994 and just loved. Over the years I either gave it away or sold it three times. Each time it found it's way back to me. I finally sold it for the last time to my buddy (with over 900,000 km on it) when we went to Africa. He's still driving it but says he's thinking about buying a new truck. I'm thinking maybe I should buy it back. It could be useful for the store but I've got a Grand Caravan for that. Maybe I could just sort of retire it, change the duct tape on the seats and join all the other guys cruising the bikini clad on Marine Drive on Sundays with my arm out the window to make it look like I've got a muscle and sprinkling magic rust dust as we go.

Besides, it would be cool to see all the odometer numbers come up as 0's like it was a new truck.

Page 1 of 1   [ 4 posts ] New Topic Add Reply