It is currently 05/17/24 3:52 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Page 1 of 1   [ 3 posts ]
PostPosted: 01/17/17 7:23 pm • # 1 
Editorialist

The article about the ice pillars reminded me of this.

For the past forty or fifty years There has been a military dispute between Canada and Denmark over who possesses a one square mile chunk of rock called Hans Island between Greenland (a Denmark territory) and Canada.

Sea battles are fought between the navies of both countries on an almost annual basis when the navy of one country or the other attends the Island (after advising the other side of their intentions since they don't actually want to run into each other and have to exert their authority) take down the flag of the opposing country and raise their own. The opposing side's flag is carefully folded and stored and returned to the embassy of the opposing country. To seal their occupation of the island the Danes leave a bottle of Schnapps while the Canadians leave a bottle of Canadian whiskey. (Nobody is clear on what happens to the Schnapps/Whiskey when the other side seizes the territory.)

This is how nice peoples fight their wars.

PostPosted: 01/17/17 10:34 pm • # 2 
Administrator

Interesting little war we have going with Denmark. How do you find this stuff, jim?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hans_Island

PostPosted: 01/17/17 11:21 pm • # 3 
Editorialist

oskar576 wrote:
Interesting little war we have going with Denmark. How do you find this stuff, jim?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hans_Island

Believe it or not it was in a Pakistani trivia site my wife sent me. I had heard about the dispute before but this was the first time I knew about the naval visits. There are some really interesting things on the site. Some of the magicians, in particular, are spectacular. Now if I can just figure how to send stuff from What'sAp to my computer I could show you.

Page 1 of 1   [ 3 posts ] New Topic Add Reply