It is currently 05/17/24 2:21 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Page 1 of 1   [ 9 posts ]
 Post subject: Holy SHIT!
PostPosted: 02/15/17 11:38 am • # 1 
Editorialist

Sorry for the language but we've just been told that the main support beam (in the basement) in our unit is just about to kick out. :eek2 They said don't do any jumping or running around. It's that close to letting go.

So, we will be taking everything off the walls, removing all of our "knick-knacks" from shelves etc. just in case. They did say the whole unit should not collapse, but that is possible.

I can see it now. Asleep at 2am and the fucker gives way. Wouldn't that be a wake-up call?

Damn.

Post subject: Re: Holy SHIT!
PostPosted: 02/15/17 12:55 pm • # 2 
Administrator

It it's a beam put a couple of temporary posts under it. Nail 2 or 3 2X? together and jam them under the beam.

PostPosted: 02/15/17 1:30 pm • # 3 
Editorialist

oskar576 wrote:
It it's a beam put a couple of temporary posts under it. Nail 2 or 3 2X? together and jam them under the beam.

One of the contractors is going to come out to do that oskar. He said maybe a 4x4 or two. I pretty much insisted that they do something for now because the true work won't begin until later in the spring when we aren't full with guests. All of the units need some sort of work, but this one is the worst. Probably because it's got a full second floor as opposed to the loft style of the other ones.

PostPosted: 02/15/17 3:11 pm • # 4 
Administrator

WOW, roseanne! ~ :g ~ is there an empty unit anywhere that you and hubby can temporarily move into until yours is at least shored up?

Sooz

PostPosted: 02/15/17 4:44 pm • # 5 
Editorialist

sooz06 wrote:
WOW, roseanne! ~ :g ~ is there an empty unit anywhere that you and hubby can temporarily move into until yours is at least shored up?

Sooz

I'm sure we could do that after this weekend, when we are totally full. BUT! Packing up groceries, clothes, toiletries etc would be a huge undertaking. I'm hoping the contractor comes out in the next couple of days. :g

PostPosted: 02/15/17 6:01 pm • # 6 
Administrator

roseanne wrote:
oskar576 wrote:

One of the contractors is going to come out to do that oskar. He said maybe a 4x4 or two. I pretty much insisted that they do something for now because the true work won't begin until later in the spring when we aren't full with guests. All of the units need some sort of work, but this one is the worst. Probably because it's got a full second floor as opposed to the loft style of the other ones.

Make sure the temporary "posts" line up one under the other. The loads must be vertical right down to the bottom support (suggest an 30 x 30 rebarred concrete patio stone). Note that this is only temporary.

PostPosted: 02/16/17 10:40 am • # 7 
Editorialist

Good grief! :eek2

PostPosted: 02/16/17 1:57 pm • # 8 
Editorialist

He will be here tomorrow to do the temp. fix. Yea! Would've been here today, but the highway was closed due to an accident. We are getting rain, with freezing temps overnight, so it's crappy out there.

As an aside, hubby had to go to town to pick up my new Rx and a couple of other things, so I asked him to get me a Big Mac. Been craving the damn thing. :g Sooooooo, remember the story from a year or so ago when we were craving A&W and he got stuck on the highway due to an accident? Guess what?
LMAO, at least this time it was on the way in, so I won't get a 3 hour old burger. :b
We even talked about that before he left......but we forgot to check my Twitter feed that lists closures even though we talked about that too this morning. :o Got too busy. Sigh.

PostPosted: 02/17/17 10:34 am • # 9 
Editorialist

I'm happy the temp fix will be done today! Non-collapsing homes are so much more relaxing.

Page 1 of 1   [ 9 posts ] New Topic Add Reply