It is currently 03/28/24 10:44 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Go to page 1, 2  Next   Page 1 of 2   [ 39 posts ]
 Post subject: Decorah Eagles 2018
PostPosted: 04/07/18 9:45 am • # 1 
Editorialist

My favorite eagle couple has three rowdy bobbleheads in the nest! This is one of my favorite live cams. They do SUCH a great job of getting good close-ups, host live chats every day so people can ask questions and we even get to watch at night.

https://www.raptorresource.org/birdcams/decorah-eagles/

Post subject: Re: Decorah Eagles 2018
PostPosted: 04/08/18 8:20 am • # 2 
Editorialist

Cool! Thanks, Chaos.

PostPosted: 04/08/18 10:02 am • # 3 
Editorialist

Just watched a couple minutes a few times, and have to laugh. Every time the male came back to the nest, the female did not even look at him, or if it she glanced at him it looks to me like she's was saying in disgust,"Damn the nuisance is back already."

PostPosted: 04/09/18 10:37 am • # 4 
Editorialist

Karolinablue wrote:
Just watched a couple minutes a few times, and have to laugh. Every time the male came back to the nest, the female did not even look at him, or if it she glanced at him it looks to me like she's was saying in disgust,"Damn the nuisance is back already."

LOL! They've been having little standoffs at shift changes lately. With plenty of food in the nest nobody is in a hurry to go for snacks.

PostPosted: 04/18/18 9:41 pm • # 5 
Editorialist

UGH the snow!!

PostPosted: 04/20/18 5:55 pm • # 6 
Editorialist

Dad Decorah is MIA! :(

From their FB page:

"I am truly sorry to tell everyone this. Following our boots on the ground observations today, we are pretty comfortable saying that UME is not Dad Decorah. As watchers know, he has not behaved as we would expect Dad to behave - he hasn't given Mom a break or come down to feed the eaglets. While we truly wish we could tell you this was Dad, we no longer believe it is. Mom was observed perching near unidentified male eagle (UME) and flying with him earlier today, and he doesn't appear to represent a threat to the eaglets. D29, D30, and D31 have spent the day lazing and stuffing themselves in the nest, and seem to be enjoying the sunny, warm weather.

We will continue to observe the eagles tomorrow and will launch a wider search for Dad. Thank you for your understanding and your support during a pretty tough period for all of us."

PostPosted: 04/22/18 5:43 pm • # 7 
Administrator

More deadbeat dads?

PostPosted: 04/24/18 2:59 pm • # 8 
Editorialist

He's always been a very devoted dad, so it's unlikely that he just up and left. He's not tagged like some of their offspring so there's no way to track him but the experts have been searching. No luck so far.

Timeline and details-

https://raptorresource.blogspot.com/201 ... m-and.html

PostPosted: 04/26/18 4:47 pm • # 9 
Editorialist

From RRP:

"It has been eight days since we last saw Dad Decorah - eight days of searching, observing, communicating, worrying, and shedding tears. Eight days of talking to our board, our volunteers, and our eagle panel, coordinating activities, planning for Dad’s loss or recovery, and thinking back on Bob and the wonderful educational and research adventure that he created. Eight days of desperately wishing that Dad would return and make the world of the Decorah Eagles right again. In the words of Sherri Elliott, Dad was a masterful architect, skilled hunter, proficient prey purveyor, loving and perfect partner, defender of all things that go bump in the night, and devoted Dad to 31 eaglets. And now we have to accept that we – and Mom – will have to go on without him.

We still don't know why Dad is missing, although our panel of eagle experts suggested that a fight with the unidentified male eagle (UME) was the most likely reason for his disappearance. Given the high density of the surrounding eagle population and number of floaters, or non-breeding adults, intra-species fighting has become a major source of natural mortality for bald eagles. While the panel didn't entirely reject hypothermia or illness, they felt it was not very likely given that Dad didn't appear sick, didn't have green mute stains on his tail, and had previously gone through bad weather, including wet April snow storms, with no problem. They also mentioned electrocution and car collisions as potential sources of mortality, and rejected the idea that Dad simply gave up and left. We found no evidence at all of Dad being shot or kidnapped.

People have been searching the Decorah area since Thursday, April 19 on foot, by car, and with regular and thermal-imaging drones. So why haven’t we been able to find Dad? It is possible that he was carried away by a scavenger or hid himself before succumbing to his injuries - a natural defense instinct to lay low and avoid predators. We've responded to many injured bald eagle reports and we've always found it amazing and frustrating to see how well they can hide in even very open landscapes. Given the sheer number of bald eagles, finding a dead or injured bald eagle is the exception, not the rule. In some ways, it seems fitting that we will never truly know what happened to him. Dad remained his very own self until the end.

RRP director John Howe pointed out yesterday that we are seeing something that is hard for us, but very normal in eagle life – and something that most people didn’t understand or know about until we started watching eagles in their nests. Death and the succession of eagles is part of the natural order, but that doesn't make it any less sad when it happens. We watch the Decorah eagles and love them, but they belong to no one but themselves. Their lives are a gift we are privileged to share and learn from.

We extend a huge and heartfelt thanks to our board, our eagle experts, our volunteers, the Decorah Fire Department, and the people of Decorah for all their help, care, and concern during a difficult time. Another huge and heartfelt thanks to all of you who have joined us on this journey. Some of the most heartwarming questions and comments have come from our young student eagle followers and we extend a special thanks to them and to their teachers for the honest, open, and very touching discussions they have had about our eagle family. We have come to the end of the first chapter of the Decorah Eagle family, the story that began so many years ago with Bob Anderson, Neil Rettig, and American Eagle. But more stories remain to be told, and after all these years, much remains to be learned.

We will be holding a remembrance of Dad Decorah on our Facebook page on Wednesday, May 2nd. We will open the page that day so watchers can post memories, poems, stories, and artwork of our beloved Dad. In the meantime, we will be watching Mom and the eaglets. She has been doing a wonderful job of caring for and protecting her eaglets in Dad’s absence, and we wish for nothing but the best for all of them.

Chat will be closed on Thursday, May 3rd, to give our moderators a little time of their own."

PostPosted: 04/26/18 5:43 pm • # 10 
Editorialist

Chaos. . I clicked on the link and watched for a bit and thought this is boring all they do is eat, poop, and sleep. Well, I could not have been all that bored because I kept checking them, and now I am hooked lol.

PostPosted: 04/29/18 6:31 pm • # 11 
Editorialist

Karolinablue wrote:
Chaos. . I clicked on the link and watched for a bit and thought this is boring all they do is eat, poop, and sleep. Well, I could not have been all that bored because I kept checking them, and now I am hooked lol.

Welcome to the club! lol

I love their big goofy yellow feet that they can't seem to control at this stage. :lol

PostPosted: 04/29/18 7:19 pm • # 12 
Editorialist

Chaos333 wrote:
Karolinablue wrote:

Welcome to the club! lol

I love their big goofy yellow feet that they can't seem to control at this stage. :lol

The Mom is one good provider - their crops are so huge they can hardly stand; someone wrote she brought 10 or 12 fish today - beside their clumsy feet no wonder they waddle and almost tip over when they walk lol. Never knew much about eagles, but looked up info and watching this site I have learned a lot.

PostPosted: 05/03/18 7:24 pm • # 13 
Editorialist

Mom really is excellent at keeping the groceries coming, especially with doing it all on her own this year. And boy can those kids chow down! :lol It helps that the nest is right next to a fish hatchery and the hatchery doesn't mind sharing. So it's been more fish on the menu this year than I can remember. Used to be more squirrels, I guess that was dad's thing.

Starting to get their pin feathers now so we'll be able to tell oldest from youngest-at least for a little while.

Nasty storms with lightning tonight, hope they all stay safe.

PostPosted: 05/07/18 8:47 pm • # 14 
Editorialist

Well Chaos. . I got banned from the raptor FB page. I have never been banned anywhere, anytime, and it was a shock it was that site sheesh lol The regular site has been down so much lately without any explanation anywhere, and again tonight for hours with a strange error message coming up. So, after searching all over for an answer I posted on their FB page that there should be some announcement when the site goes down instead of people having to search all over, as a common courtesy. Well, all hell broke loose - the moderator took exception to my comments - I apologized if it came over snarky in tone as it was not meant that way when the moderator seemed annoyed, but I said the criticism stands.

Then the sheep came out to defend her for some reason, among the many negative comments was I did not have the right to complain as it is a free site. I have never seen such a thin-skinned moderator or an incompetent one. She should have defused the situation diplomatically instead she banned me for responding to people attacking me. I did not do it nastily just logically and stood up for myself, yet, she called me belligerent for responding to the negative comments. I can not believe this at all; the stupidity, the sheep mentality and not one person thought it right to complain or suggest the site should inform its viewers of what is happening without them having to search all over the place. Instead it was a negative and evidently they do not allow any negative comments whether they are right or not, so she deleted the posts and banned me. I wish she would have left them up so maybe at least there might have been one reasonable person who saw I was being bush-whacked lol

I will still look in on the eaglets. but never going to chat on the site itself or go to the FB page. I am more annoyed she deleted the posts than banning me, but I really think she was more annoyed I made too much sense and she wanted an all out apology, and wanted me to to kiss her butt - wasn't happening :) As an aside the chat people and the posters all kiss the moderators butts because they are volunteers, and I think I shocked her and her suck-ups when I called them unreasonable and would not respond any longer - she banned me after that lol

Sorry for the length - for venting AND not everyday I get banned from such a non- combative site, but I wear it as a badge of honor - I stuck to my guns :)

PostPosted: 05/08/18 8:54 am • # 15 
Administrator

GOOD ON YOU, KB! ~ :st

The only place I've ever been banned from is the entire yuku platform when we moved VoC off of its platform [and took our content with us] ~ but interestingly, for the past several months, I've been getting emails from Tapatalk spouting about new plans and accomplishments on the Tapatalk platform ~ I need to remember to click on "remove my email" on the next email I get from them before deleting it ~ :ey

Sooz

PostPosted: 05/08/18 9:15 am • # 16 
Editorialist

sooz06 wrote:
GOOD ON YOU, KB! ~ :st

The only place I've ever been banned from is the entire yuku platform when we moved VoC off of its platform [and took our content with us] ~ but interestingly, for the past several months, I've been getting emails from Tapatalk spouting about new plans and accomplishments on the Tapatalk platform ~ I need to remember to click on "remove my email" on the next email I get from them before deleting it ~ :ey

Sooz

I consider myself in good company then :D

PostPosted: 05/10/18 10:41 am • # 17 
Editorialist

What the hell?!? :angry :angry :angry

That's not at all cool. Glad you're taking it so well, though.

F'em. We can talk about eaglets right here.

PostPosted: 05/10/18 6:24 pm • # 18 
Editorialist

Chaos333 wrote:
What the hell?!? :angry :angry :angry

That's not at all cool. Glad you're taking it so well, though.

F'em. We can talk about eaglets right here.

Thanks Chaos :) No problem - I did not do chat and only went to the FB page to see if I could find out why the site was down. Just a thin-skinned moderator who stirred up the troops. . got nasty messages too and ignored them; too ridiculous to get all worked up over. So ridiculous how easily some people find offense when there is none - although, it truthfully does not surprise me. What did surprise me was being called rude, belligerent, and demand I apologize, when I had no clue I was doing any thing wrong. Not that I am an angel I could be those things when pushed. I have been on many boards though the years as a poster, owner, and moderator (many of them with heated debated), but this blind-sided me lol.

How about those eaglets, they seemed to have doubled in size in just a week. The nest looks much smaller now, and so does the Mom next to them.

PostPosted: 05/17/18 9:44 am • # 19 
Editorialist

They really do grow amazingly fast! And they eat fast too-just watched mom bring a nice fresh fish to the nest. Shred & fed the whole thing in 6 minutes!

And that little one (who still has fluffy pants) snagged the whole tail again. One gulp and gone. lol

New hatch in progress at the Decorah North nest! :) Just got a peek of a beak in the egg.

PostPosted: 05/17/18 9:52 am • # 20 
Editorialist

Chaos333 wrote:
They really do grow amazingly fast! And they eat fast too-just watched mom bring a nice fresh fish to the nest. Shred & fed the whole thing in 6 minutes!

And that little one (who still has fluffy pants) snagged the whole tail again. One gulp and gone. lol

New hatch in progress at the Decorah North nest! :) Just got a peek of a beak in the egg.

Now that I am hooked and will have nothing to check in on - it is good to know there are other nests to look in on. It will be nice to see them go off on their own, but at the same time sad we will never know what happened to them. Maybe that is for the best though - since I read 50% of eaglets do not make it on their own for long for many reasons.

PostPosted: 05/19/18 7:18 pm • # 21 
Editorialist

Yeah, it's a tough life for young eagles. Power lines and cars and all sorts of dangers. :(

I like the Cornell bird cams a lot too. Zip to Kauai and watch a baby albatross....

http://cams.allaboutbirds.org/channel/4 ... Albatross/

PostPosted: 05/19/18 8:18 pm • # 22 
Editorialist

Chaos333 wrote:
Yeah, it's a tough life for young eagles. Power lines and cars and all sorts of dangers. :(

I like the Cornell bird cams a lot too. Zip to Kauai and watch a baby albatross....

http://cams.allaboutbirds.org/channel/4 ... Albatross/

Thanks Chaos, will check it out :)

PostPosted: 05/21/18 3:56 pm • # 23 
Editorialist

DN8 ( Decorah North chick #8) hatched last night and now there's two wobbly fuzzy babies there. DN7 is very talkative. lol

PostPosted: 05/28/18 9:33 am • # 24 
Editorialist

<sigh> RIP DN7 & DN8.

"Why did the eaglets die? As we learned last year at Great Spirit Bluff, blackflies carry a pathogen that overwhelms the immune systems of young birds. Today’s blackfly strike, combined with the extreme heat and humidity, was more than the eaglets could take. The North reclutch was inspirational, but we all worried that the late hatch might negatively affect the eaglets – and it did. As John pointed out, what happened at the North nest shows how important the hatch window is in the larger picture. Insect hatches that overlap the vulnerable developmental stages of eagles and falcons can have devastating effects."

PostPosted: 05/28/18 10:28 am • # 25 
Editorialist

Chaos333 wrote:
<sigh> RIP DN7 & DN8.

"Why did the eaglets die? As we learned last year at Great Spirit Bluff, blackflies carry a pathogen that overwhelms the immune systems of young birds. Today’s blackfly strike, combined with the extreme heat and humidity, was more than the eaglets could take. The North reclutch was inspirational, but we all worried that the late hatch might negatively affect the eaglets – and it did. As John pointed out, what happened at the North nest shows how important the hatch window is in the larger picture. Insect hatches that overlap the vulnerable developmental stages of eagles and falcons can have devastating effects."

It was so sad to read this and something I had not thought of or imagined. Then the other night I checked on the nest and there were a lot insects crawling up the tree. At first I thought they were ants but were too big, and there were a few that looked like bigger wormy things, but crawled too fast to be a worm. It made me think of hoards of ants that can overtake a tree, and worried for the nest; have not see any since, which is a good thing but I do wonder what they were. The eaglets did not seem aware of them at all.

Go to page 1, 2  Next   Page 1 of 2   [ 39 posts ] New Topic Add Reply