It is currently 03/28/24 4:40 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Go to page Previous  1, 2   Page 2 of 2   [ 39 posts ]
 Post subject: Re: Decorah Eagles 2018
PostPosted: 05/30/18 12:02 pm • # 26 
Editorialist

Beetles? Centipedes? I'd imagine there is always some food/blood residue in the nest attracting all kinds of insects, despite housekeeping efforts. Always seems easier to spot them on the night camera, too.

Lots of twitching/itching with the three teen eaglets too. And lots of wing workouts! lol

PostPosted: 05/30/18 5:43 pm • # 27 
Editorialist

Chaos333 wrote:
Beetles? Centipedes? I'd imagine there is always some food/blood residue in the nest attracting all kinds of insects, despite housekeeping efforts. Always seems easier to spot them on the night camera, too.

Lots of twitching/itching with the three teen eaglets too. And lots of wing workouts! lol

I don't know what they were - did not look like beetles or centipedes. They seemed to come out of a hole in the tree - least it looked like that -nothing - then coming out of this one spot. They acted like ants - but appeared too big - but maybe that was the camera angle. The wormy thing I have no idea. Have not seen them again - so they do not seem to any kind of problem - I am just curious. I think they said the gnats are out in force so that is why all the head shaking. I would have thought there would have been a lot of bugs in the nest itself after a bit, but doesn't seem so.

Edited to add: The camera just did a close up of one of the eaglets talons. He/she was sitting on the edge of the nest and lo and behold - ANTS. They were crawling in and out from underneath the sticks and on the talons, then back to the sticks again. Not sure about the wormy thing- but it seems ants have infested the tree. Now, why they are not crawling over the top of the nest and on the eaglets I have no idea, as that would be normal behavior for ants.

PostPosted: 06/06/18 3:53 pm • # 28 
Editorialist

Interesting!

Every time I check the nest lately, 2 are snoozing and one is wide awake. lol

PostPosted: 06/06/18 5:11 pm • # 29 
Editorialist

Chaos333 wrote:
Interesting!

Every time I check the nest lately, 2 are snoozing and one is wide awake. lol

Same here lol Will be interesting when they first branch and hover. .

PostPosted: 06/12/18 6:08 pm • # 30 
Editorialist

IT'S ALL ABOUT THE WINGS TODAY! lol

Well, wings...and fish...and those darn gnats! Ugh!

Someone is going to take a big first step soon. :D

PostPosted: 06/23/18 6:20 pm • # 31 
Editorialist

2 of 3 eaglets have fledged! Yaaaay! And once the last one heads out I'll be missing my before bed check-ins with the nest.

PostPosted: 06/23/18 6:35 pm • # 32 
Editorialist

Chaos333 wrote:
2 of 3 eaglets have fledged! Yaaaay! And once the last one heads out I'll be missing my before bed check-ins with the nest.

lol Me too. . just when they got interesting - they are about to leave. . .

PostPosted: 06/25/18 2:14 pm • # 33 
Editorialist

Annnnd...they're off!!!

Big round of applause for Mom Decorah. Not easy to be a single eagle parent. lol Hope these 3 eaglets stay happy and healthy and out of trouble.

Now, what happens next year? Will Mom and the new male that's been hanging around start a family together? Or is he lookin' to hit it and quit it? :rollin

I guess we'll just have to switch to the Cornell Bird Cams now, karolinablue.

PostPosted: 06/25/18 5:48 pm • # 34 
Editorialist

Chaos333 wrote:
Annnnd...they're off!!!

Big round of applause for Mom Decorah. Not easy to be a single eagle parent. lol Hope these 3 eaglets stay happy and healthy and out of trouble.

Now, what happens next year? Will Mom and the new male that's been hanging around start a family together? Or is he lookin' to hit it and quit it? :rollin

I guess we'll just have to switch to the Cornell Bird Cams now, karolinablue.

I hope they all make it and the Mom and her suitor come together and make more eaglets. I don't think I will watch any more eaglets though, with the exception of seeing what happens to Mom next year. I learned a lot about eagles, and some facts I was not to happy to learn lol, but it is was very boring to me until they grew old enough to actually get some personality by learning to fledge - then they are gone. Never knowing if they made it or not living by themselves, is not for me.

PostPosted: 06/26/18 11:44 am • # 35 
Editorialist

Mom brought in 430 fish since 4/22/18. :eek

There are still occasional visits to the nest when mom drops off a fish but I'm rarely lucky enough to see it live.

Sometimes there are updates if the eaglets are spotted, but it's not always good news. A couple of years ago 2 were electrocuted on power lines within a pretty short time frame. :( So I tell myself that no news is good news.

PostPosted: 06/26/18 12:22 pm • # 36 
Editorialist

We have osprey in the neighborhood and I just love the sight of a bird flying down the street with a fish in it's talons.

PostPosted: 06/27/18 7:34 am • # 37 
Editorialist

queenoftheuniverse wrote:
We have osprey in the neighborhood and I just love the sight of a bird flying down the street with a fish in it's talons.

Oh wow-lucky you!!

PostPosted: 06/27/18 10:56 am • # 38 
Editorialist

They got chased out by Canada geese last year but my neighbor put a cone on the nest until they returned this year and she stayed around to intimidate the geese until the geese went and nested elsewhere.

PostPosted: 06/28/18 10:14 am • # 39 
Editorialist

queenoftheuniverse wrote:
They got chased out by Canada geese last year but my neighbor put a cone on the nest until they returned this year and she stayed around to intimidate the geese until the geese went and nested elsewhere.

Osprey Security Inc. ;) Love it!!

Go to page Previous  1, 2   Page 2 of 2   [ 39 posts ] New Topic Add Reply