It is currently 03/29/24 8:13 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Go to page Previous  1, 2   Page 2 of 2   [ 42 posts ]
 Post subject: Re: Decorah Eagles 2019
PostPosted: 06/09/19 4:07 pm • # 26 
Editorialist

I'm sure all three are happy to be away from those awful flies!! (aka "buffalo gnats") I was just reading that they're also a huge problem for the poultry industry. Yikes.

PostPosted: 06/13/19 7:51 am • # 27 
Editorialist

Updates from SOAR. D32 has a broken leg on top of everything else! Too much to C&P, so here's the link, and you can check updates on everybody from there too.

https://soarraptors.org/patients/d32/?f ... EUwNC9f5HI

DN9 update:

11 June 2019
DN9 has been a "naughty" patient as not wanting to eat quail! Kay suspects DN9 had an upset stomach... pelleted a nasty smelling pellet complete with raccoon fur. :-/

Earlier on the 11th finally ate a quail on own.

Was given ivermectin to rid of the feather lice. Also on an antifungal as a preventative.

D33 seems to be in the best shape out of the three of them...

11 June 2019
D33 is a model patient - eating two quail a day! Ambassador Decorah shared some of his trout and D33 ate two! Just like in the nest D33 can poop-shoot quite a distance, guessing 5 feet out the crate door.

D33 is ready to move out of ICU to a 10x20' flight area. It's time to stretch out those wings. Look for the move to happen later this week.

PostPosted: 06/13/19 6:56 pm • # 28 
Editorialist

~ D32 update ~

13 June 2019 - Kay assisted Drs. Riordan and Struve with surgery to straighten and stabilize D32's right tibiotarsus. The stabilization had to be from the outside (external) as both veterinarians agreed that there was no way to attach anything to the tiny piece of bone next to the joint. D32 did have an open owie near the break and a very tiny corner of bone was exposed. The leg was not stinky or pussy. The owie was cleaned, the bone straightened... then covered with an antibiotic pad and the leg "casted" in such a way to stabilize the bone but not be so tight as to reduce circulation to the toes. D32 will be in this cast for four weeks, then an x-ray check to determine if the two pieces of bone are forming a good union. All the veterinarians consulted on this think this is a long-shot, but a long-shot they were willing to take.

Now D32 needs to be kept calm, comfortable, and provided with cut-up food as standing on food to rip and tear is not something s/he needs to be doing now.

Now we wait.

Remember that patients listed on the website patient page will often get updates before Facebook. https://soarraptors.org/patients/

PostPosted: 06/18/19 6:00 pm • # 29 
Editorialist

Chaos - If you did not already read the update - they released D33 out of ICU and is with two other eaglets in an eaglet box. Soar also believes D33 is female - I had sensed that and was pleased I was right :)

PostPosted: 06/23/19 5:27 pm • # 30 
Editorialist

I did see that, sorry I didn't C&P it here. Clever how they paint just one talon on each eaglet so they can tell them apart, isn't it?

And D32 seems to be eating well and keeping calm while that leg (hopefully) heals.

Not on topic, but related to wildlife rehab....

A major local wildlife rehab center announced this week that after 20 years of providing free food (rats, mice, quail, etc.), the benefactor who had been donating wasn't going to be able to continue. They estimate that it will cost @$50,000 a year to buy what they need. So they were asking for cash donations, gift certificates to a supplier, bone-in raw chicken or any wild game hunters could spare. Just an awful situation. :brhrt

PostPosted: 06/23/19 5:44 pm • # 31 
Editorialist

Chaos333 wrote:
I did see that, sorry I didn't C&P it here. Clever how they paint just one talon on each eaglet so they can tell them apart, isn't it?

And D32 seems to be eating well and keeping calm while that leg (hopefully) heals.

Not on topic, but related to wildlife rehab....

A major local wildlife rehab center announced this week that after 20 years of providing free food (rats, mice, quail, etc.), the benefactor who had been donating wasn't going to be able to continue. They estimate that it will cost @$50,000 a year to buy what they need. So they were asking for cash donations, gift certificates to a supplier, bone-in raw chicken or any wild game hunters could spare. Just an awful situation. :brhrt

That is sad to hear - hopefully people will pick up the slack or another generous door steps forward.

PostPosted: 08/15/19 4:17 pm • # 32 
Editorialist

It's a boy! lol D32 confirmed male and the bandages are off. Yaaaayyyyy!!!!

PostPosted: 08/16/19 8:16 am • # 33 
Editorialist

Chaos333 wrote:
It's a boy! lol D32 confirmed male and the bandages are off. Yaaaayyyyy!!!!

I thought D32 was a male after he bullied the younger D33 and then D33 got bigger than him and let him have it lol - was pretty sure she was female. Glad they are both doing well. . .

PostPosted: 08/17/19 7:35 pm • # 34 
Editorialist

There was a great video on SOAR the other day of D33 checking out (and telling off) the camera in the flight pen! lol She's so sassy! :lol

PostPosted: 08/17/19 7:55 pm • # 35 
Editorialist

Chaos333 wrote:
There was a great video on SOAR the other day of D33 checking out (and telling off) the camera in the flight pen! lol She's so sassy! :lol

I saw it and got a kick out of it :) I liked D33 most of all - guess cause she was picked on in the beginning so was rooting for her.

PostPosted: 08/22/19 6:11 pm • # 36 
Editorialist

Karolinablue wrote:
Chaos333 wrote:

I saw it and got a kick out of it :) I liked D33 most of all - guess cause she was picked on in the beginning so was rooting for her.

My favorite too! I love 'em all but the last to hatch always gets picked on so much they become my favorite.

PostPosted: 09/01/19 8:26 am • # 37 
Editorialist

SOAR Update:

~ Moving on up! ~

The four hatch-year bald eagles in the 20x60' flight pen have mastered taking food items out of the water, flying, turning, and landing. Next up in their rehabilitation process is to build stamina and social skills.

To accomplish these next tasks, D33, DN9, Allamakee, and Calmar have all moved to the 100’ flight pen! As part of the moving process, weights and beak depth measurements were taken again (since they could still be growing!). Both females (D33 and DN9) weigh in at 10 pounds and have a tish more depth to their beaks. There was no change noted for the two males.

D32 is still rooming with Decorah. He spends much of his time on the padded perch looking out the window and only is seen on the ground for food and a bath. He continues to stretch out that right leg and move the toes. How long will D32 stay in this flight pen? The more he can gently use his right leg and foot, the better. D32 is only 12 weeks post-surgery. That’s really not a very long time and is too soon to put flight pressure on that leg. Think of a human who had surgery to stabilize a broken bone, they wouldn’t be running 12 weeks post-surgery.

PostPosted: 09/24/19 12:15 pm • # 38 
Editorialist

Annnnnd....they're off! :bow

Yes, D33, DN9, Allamakee, and Calmar have taken their “wild maiden flight.” If you watched the video with the post titled “Gaining flight strength” you saw much improvement in flight skills in each of these young eagles. These eagles showed Kay they were ready… so back to the 20 x 60’ flight pen with the soft-release window.

On 18 September 2019, trail cameras and the GoPro were turned on in hopes of getting their leaving on video, the window was opened… Kay reported that an osprey flew overhead as everything was getting set. For many of us, an osprey flyover is good karma!

One by one these bald eagles “flew the coop” in a very short time. DN9 is the “ring leader” and it looks like they followed each other out… not wanting to get left behind. The timer on one trail camera indicates all left within 25 minutes of DN9 leaving. “They were ready,” Kay said.

PostPosted: 09/24/19 4:22 pm • # 39 
Editorialist

It was sad to see them go in a way - but at the same time was so happy they can now soar and become the eagles they are meant to be :)

PostPosted: 09/26/19 2:59 pm • # 40 
Editorialist

I loved how they all looked up at the sky like..."Whoa!" LOL! They get to fly more than 100' at a time now and in ANY direction they want. Exciting!

All 4 were banded. Wouldn't it be a hoot if a pair came out of all this?

PostPosted: 10/25/19 3:18 pm • # 41 
Editorialist

Cameras are back on! North nest has had activity, nothing at the other (my favorite) nest yet that I know of.

PostPosted: 12/03/19 9:41 am • # 42 
Editorialist

Update:

"21 November 2019
D32 has moved to the 20x60' flight pen. New roomies include another hatch-year 2019 bald eagle and an adult bald eagle needing to be able to exercise joints and grow in feathers. D32 can fly the 60' length of the flight pen. D32 has much work to do to build stamina and confidence. The 100’ eagle flight pen is THE place to build stamina and will be next on D32’s rehabilitation path."

Yay!

Go to page Previous  1, 2   Page 2 of 2   [ 42 posts ] New Topic Add Reply