It is currently 03/29/24 4:07 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Page 1 of 1   [ 3 posts ]
PostPosted: 03/10/19 7:55 am • # 1 
Editorialist

I didn't see this story get picked up by major news outlets.

Poarch Band of Creek Indians donates $180K to cover all tornado victims’ funerals

The Poarch Band of Creek Indians donated $180,000 to cover all the funeral costs for the 23 people killed in Sunday’s tornado in Lee County, the county coroner announced Thursday.

“The coroner’s office received word that they wanted to help and reached out to them and they agreed. Their first commitment was for $50,000. Later they called back and ask me what it would take to cover the costs and I gave them a figure and they graciously made it happen,” said Lee County Coroner Bill Harris. “The monies will be deposited with the East Alabama Medical Center Foundation to be dispersed to the funeral homes to cover the cost of the funerals. I am so thankful for them to step up in this manner and help the families of this tragedy.”

The tribe’s massive donation was made amid an outpouring of contributions to help victims of Sunday’s tornadoes in Beauregard and Smiths Station.

Several crowdfunding campaigns were established to support victims’ families, including one to pay for the funeral costs of Taylor Thornton, 10. The effort to help Thornton’s family blew past the campaign’s $15,000 goal, with nearly $38,000 donated as of Thursday night.

https://www.al.com/news/2019/03/poarch- ... erals.html

PostPosted: 03/13/19 1:35 pm • # 2 
Editorialist

Bravo.

I sometimes worry about all the crowdfunding campaigns that go on after a tragedy. Do the victims actually get the $$?

PostPosted: 03/15/19 4:57 pm • # 3 
Administrator

Chaos333 wrote:
Bravo.

I sometimes worry about all the crowdfunding campaigns that go on after a tragedy. Do the victims actually get the $$?

Darn good question.

Page 1 of 1   [ 3 posts ] New Topic Add Reply