It is currently 04/25/24 4:24 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Go to page Previous  1, 2   Page 2 of 2   [ 32 posts ]
 Post subject: Re: Decorah Eagles 2020!
PostPosted: 01/01/21 10:38 am • # 26 
Editorialist

Still only halfhearted efforts at the nest with the cameras, though they have been spotted in the area quite a bit and they both seem to still be healthy.

Very strange.

PostPosted: 01/01/21 6:29 pm • # 27 
Editorialist

It is. . I don't check as often, and when I did I was surprised they did not come back. There is activity at other nests, but the other cams are not as good imo.

PostPosted: 01/10/21 12:17 pm • # 28 
Editorialist

Update from RRP:

https://www.raptorresource.org/2021/01/ ... gles-been/

Where have the Decorah Eagles been? We have an update for you after several weeks of observation in the vicinity of N2B and a relatively new eagle nest within what we would describe as their territory. We will start by clarifying that we are not disclosing the location of this nest at the request of the property owner. The new nest is within the typical bald eagle territorial area of up to 6 square miles. Unfortunately, it is not within view of any cameras we have near the fish hatchery.

We have spent hours watching this nest with powerful spotting scopes and cameras. We agree, as do several of our Decorah Eagle experts, that they look like Mom and DM2.

We believe that Mom and DM2 built a new nest within their territory and that they will most likely nest there this year, although we won’t know for sure until they lay eggs. We will continue to observe the two nests in this territory and are continuing our search of the area to rule out any other potential nest sites.

Video of new nest:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yhKXLhi ... e=emb_logo

So I don't think we'll get to watch up close this year. But I have been watching the North nest instead. Strange to not see the fish hatchery in the background. Horses instead! :)

PostPosted: 02/10/21 7:38 pm • # 29 
Editorialist

:brhrt

We are sorry to announce that RRP Board member Brett Mandernack found eaglet D35 dead on January 29, 2021, along the banks of the Iowa River just south of Iowa City.

SOAR founder and director Kay Neumann conducted an expert necropsy of D35’s body, including an X-ray and an analysis of her digestive tract, and concluded that acute lead poisoning caused D35’s premature death.

https://www.raptorresource.org/2021/02/ ... poisoning/

PostPosted: 02/17/21 11:08 am • # 30 
Editorialist

That's sad. I wonder how she ingested enough lead to die- poisoned fish?

PostPosted: 02/17/21 8:09 pm • # 31 
Editorialist

queenoftheuniverse wrote:
That's sad. I wonder how she ingested enough lead to die- poisoned fish?

Mostly from gut piles left behind during hunting season that are full of lead shot. But fish can have high lead levels too. :(

"New U.S. Interior Secretary Ryan Zinke on Thursday issued an order overturning an Obama administration ban on the controversial use of lead ammunition and fishing tackle used on federal lands and waters, in a nod to hunters and fishermen on his first day on the job."
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa- ... SKBN16930Z

PostPosted: 02/28/21 6:31 pm • # 32 
Editorialist

Well it seems the Decorah couple have laid an egg in their new "yonder" nest, at least according to observations from the ground. (They had been visiting their regular nest more often lately, and even brought in more nesting materials.)

However, it seems an entirely new eagle couple has been checking out the vacant nest, so this could get more interesting. lol

Go to page Previous  1, 2   Page 2 of 2   [ 32 posts ] New Topic Add Reply