It is currently 04/28/24 12:48 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Page 1 of 1   [ 9 posts ]
PostPosted: 04/13/21 3:17 pm • # 1 
Editorialist

*Years* ago our town did the free tree seedling thing and we got 3 little dogwood twigs. I put them in big nursery pots and honestly didn't expect much. But darn if they aren't 5-6' tall now! So I officially picked a spot and planted one last week. (Had to cut the pot off...lol) Still trying to pick good spots for the other two while they're still sorta dormant.

Dug up & split a bunch of stella d'oro lillies and moved a bunch of orange lillies. Dug OUT a young oak tree that sprung up in the middle of the bearded irises last year. Pained me to do it and that thing didn't give up easily but I got it out.

Got new rosemary & basil today, and a few pretty things. But I couldn't find tomatoes! The only ones I saw were in the big gallon pots for @$20. I just need the little 4" pots of cherry tomatoes. Maybe it's too early? Maybe they sold out? Tried 3 different places, no luck. The hunt continues.

Anybody else been garden puttering?

PostPosted: 04/20/21 2:58 pm • # 2 
Editorialist

Yes but now that o live in the city it is quite different. Mint, rosemary, oregano, lavender and sage came up. I put new basil in and some more sage. Put some calibrachoa in the rose bush and royal palm pots for color and contrast. Brought the bougainvillea back outside to the roof. Potted some African daisies with English ivy. All of this predicated on no more nights below 40 degrees but now they are saying it’s possible it will go below tomorrow night. Ugh. It will make it though I’m pretty sure.

PostPosted: 04/22/21 7:45 pm • # 3 
Editorialist

Aaaagggghhh! We had lows in the 30's last night, queen! I covered everything I could with anything I could get my hands on, but some things were left to fend for themselves. Left it all covered today because we're going into the 30's again tonight. Did your plants make it OK?

Sage! You reminded me-I need sage! I did find a grape tomato and a super sweet 100's cherry tomato this week, they're still safe indoors. <whew>

A friend of mine decided to convert some of her garden beds to grass for easier upkeep and invited me to raid them. :happydance I scored several HUGE hostas, lambs ear, a ton of black eyed susans and a few other odds & ends. Decided to split the hostas and put them in planters. They fought me! lol I wound up having to *cut* them into quarters. Hope they forgive me. :lol

Should warm up again next week so next on the agenda is the elephant ears. They're all in planters/buckets so I just bring them into the basement in the fall and let them die back. Time to get them outside, dig them up, separate the bulbs and re-plant. Then find people who want the extras. LOL

PostPosted: 04/27/21 9:52 am • # 4 
Editorialist

Yes we had two nights below 40 but everything survived, sort of...
My bougainvillea perplexes me. It did the same thing last year- when I first put it out, all the leaves wither and fall off. Then it grows new ones and blooms. But for now, it just looks like a thorny stick. It was quite brilliant inside over the winter. If I still lived in suburbia I think would take my chances on it and plant it in the ground in a sunny spot and cover it. The winters have been so mild lately. But not a choice in the city.

I'm going to try some potted trees this year. They are all over our neighborhood so I should be able to do it if everyone else can. Maybe. Got an ebony and ivory crepe myrtle and a dwarf baby lace Japanese maple. Should arrive in few days.

Two roses bloomed but did not like the cold nights. New buds getting ready though.

PostPosted: 05/03/21 6:11 pm • # 5 
Editorialist

I found this article on bougainvillea leaf drop. Seems they're very sensitive!

https://www.gardenerreport.com/bougainv ... %20weather.

Tip for potted trees: We put a piece of steel screen (like window screen) in the bottoms of the pots to keep the roots from shooting down into the dirt through the drain holes. it really did work!

Harvested radishes yesterday. Hubby is the only one who eats them but he said they were delicious. lol

Got all the elephant ears out/dead stuff cut off. They had APHIDS. Ugh! The soil in the pots was rock hard from drying out so I soaked 'em and hopefully they'll be easier to deal with in a few days.

PostPosted: 05/04/21 12:19 pm • # 6 
Editorialist

Well that explains the bougainvillea. They moved outside, upstairs to a cold few days. Hot and sunny now. I know to keep them dry if you want them to bloom.

Good tip for the trees but I don't believe mine will attempt to get though the concrete sidewalks.

I ordered the trees online from a place about 15 miles away. Fed Ex and the seller notified me my trees had been delivered but alas, no trees out front of my house. About an hour later I get a call from someone 4 blocks away saying that a big box was delivered to their next door neighbor but was addressed to me. Not really sure how you mix up two completely different street names when your job is making deliveries for a living.

On a bright note, the trees are in really good shape and a little more mature than I expected so I'm optimistic.

PostPosted: 05/05/21 5:38 pm • # 7 
Editorialist

So FedEx dropped your trees in front of the wrong house on the wrong street but sent you a message that they were delivered? What the <bleep>? LOL Glad someone was able to track down your contact info!

PostPosted: 05/06/21 4:51 am • # 8 
Editorialist

Bougainvillea are leafy again!

PostPosted: 05/17/21 7:48 am • # 9 
Editorialist

Was out puttering and weeding and pulling invasive vines last week.

Much to my surprise there was poison ivy ALL OVER THE YARD. Not unusual to have a sprig here or there once in a while but I guess it's a good year for PI because I kept finding it. And finding it. And finding it! UGH. Luckily I had a spare pair of yellow kitchen gloves and layered other gloves over those. Escaped without getting on the itch train. :lol

Unusually cool spring temps here lately. Overnights in the 40's. But a big hit of heat should be here by the end of the week.

Page 1 of 1   [ 9 posts ] New Topic Add Reply