It is currently 05/05/24 2:39 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Page 1 of 1   [ 9 posts ]
PostPosted: 08/08/22 5:09 pm • # 1 
Editorialist

A late frost and a very hot, dry summer. Sure haven't had to mow much, which is good. But things just aren't thriving the way they usually do. Lots of other folks saying the same.

Just starting to get cherry tomatoes and some peppers. I'm usually up to my ears in them by now. And I finally saved up and got myself a rain barrel but...there hasn't been enough rain to make it useful. :mad

PostPosted: 08/09/22 6:57 am • # 2 
Editorialist

Our unusually cool spring made for a late start on gardens here. We did have a wet one. Things are just now starting to come in at our Farmer's market. Climate change deniers can bite me, lol.

PostPosted: 08/09/22 10:14 am • # 3 
Editorialist

The flower baskets and miniature trees are doing ok. The rose bush had an amazing spring bloom but now looks to be on death's door. In the herb garden, basil, mint, and lavender are doing well. Rosemary, sage, oregano and thyme are struggling- alive but not as productive as they should be. Even the bougainvillea have cried for water- no blooms this year but keeping their leaves on. And one of the crepe myrtles still hasn't bloomed, although the buds are poised and ready. Usually mid July bloomers.

PostPosted: 09/06/22 6:23 pm • # 4 
Editorialist

Finally had some substantial rain today for that rain barrel!

The cherry tomatoes are dime-sized this year. Same variety I always get. But it did wind up with blight, and that didn't help.

I miss fresh basil, queen! Mine died early on this year and I never replaced it.

An interesting twist this year. I've been nurturing three dogwoods for over a decade. They were twigs (not even kidding) given out by the township for arbor day. Had 'em in pots and just put them in the ground this spring.

Turns out the tallest of the three is a "kousa" dogwood, a variety with edible berries. Never even heard of that kind before!

PostPosted: 09/08/22 10:09 am • # 5 
Editorialist

Not much rain has materialized here. We did have a rainy night but It didn't change much. The baskets are green but nothing is flowering like it should, even with s little fertilizer boost. I tried those terra cotta spikes you put a wine bottle in- they have kept things from drying out in the hottest spells.

I'm not familiar with the edible dogwood berries either. I planted a dogwood at the old house but moved out a year later so I didn't get to see it grow very much.

PostPosted: 09/26/22 11:08 am • # 6 
Editorialist

The bougainvillea has decided to grace us with a few blooms...IDKY?

PostPosted: 09/28/22 6:00 pm • # 7 
Editorialist

queenoftheuniverse wrote:
The bougainvillea has decided to grace us with a few blooms...IDKY?

Oh my! It's confused? lol

I had to dig up my entire bearded iris bed. We're still working on replacing the stockade fence and that side is next on the list, so we were going to have to stomp around in there. And they were overcrowded anyway. Filled the wheelbarrow. Kiddo trimmed them all up and now I just have to find other places for them. (Some will go back in that bed when we're done.)

Still getting peppers and micro-cherry tomatoes. Just about time to tackle the potted elephant ears and get them moved into the basement. Lows in the 50's lately.

PostPosted: 09/29/22 8:14 am • # 8 
Editorialist

My girl is whining about too many jalapenos. She'ss picked them all several times and more grow. She's in Louisville

PostPosted: 10/10/22 1:53 pm • # 9 
Editorialist

queenoftheuniverse wrote:
My girl is whining about too many jalapenos. She'ss picked them all several times and more grow. She's in Louisville

The last batch of jalapenos & tomatoes I picked sat on the counter until they went squishy. :( Even though we didn't get as many as we usually do, we're all sort of over the thrill. LMAO

Page 1 of 1   [ 9 posts ] New Topic Add Reply