It is currently 09/27/24 4:24 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Page 1 of 1   [ 8 posts ]
PostPosted: 06/01/10 2:23 am • # 1 
Editorialist

Just a little mom vent....

Get a call from the school nurse this morning that my daughter has been yanked out of class for a "dress code violation". Spaghetti straps are not allowed. Ummm...she's not wearing spaghetti straps, those are ( wait for it!....) shaped like spaghetti!! These are 1/2" wide flat straps, and she's worn the darn shirt at least 4 times this spring ( as well as many times last fall when school started) without it being an issue.
But nooooo...today it's a problem.

So off I go, bring her another shirt-she's confused, I'm confused, I relay the above to the nurse, who is also confused, but has "no idea who sent her down" or why. I suggested that it might be a better idea to just send a note home instead of having them miss class time over something so trivial. Heck- they send a note home if the kids miss a homework assignment, but they call me over a shirt???

Get home, phone rings, it's the principal, who is also confused and can't figure out why anyone would have made an issue over the shirt she had on-she's seen it, and it's fine. Spaghetti straps are shaped like spaghetti, and these weren't, she agrees. So as it turns out, nobody even checked with the head honcho before calling me and wasting a bunch of time. Luckily, my daughter didn't miss very much class time because I zipped right over there, but she shouldn't have missed any at all.

What a bunch of crappola.

PostPosted: 06/01/10 3:10 am • # 2 
Editorialist

Flat?  Linguini straps?  Fettuccine straps?

I agree with you 100 per cent Chaos.  I couldn't send my child to a mainstream school.  I would have hit the roof.

PostPosted: 06/01/10 3:30 am • # 3 
Editorialist

LOL...linguini...

I generally like her school, but this was just stoopid. My daughter is actually very modest, she doesn't wear ( and I don't buy) slutty stuff.

PostPosted: 06/01/10 4:20 am • # 4 

I remember once back in the day I got in trouble because my skirt was too short.  My mother said, "She's tall, get over it."  They did. 

It was crappola.

PostPosted: 06/02/10 12:37 am • # 5 
If the prudish have their way, little girls and teen girls would be wearing burkhas - all in the name of freedom, of course.

PostPosted: 06/04/10 10:22 pm • # 6 
These prudes that make up these dress code rules are probably the same ones who wore micro-minis back in their day....just what is wrong with spaghetti straps anyway? 

PostPosted: 06/05/10 4:13 pm • # 7 
Editorialist

I was talking to a friend last night, who said their school has a "three fingers wide" rule for what goes over the shoulder. wth?

Keep in mind, my dd's school doesn't have central AC, and it gets outrageously hot in there at this time of year. Especially since they replaced all the windows with high-security windows that only open 6" at the very bottom. And of course, to do the work replacing the windows, they cut all the trees down that used to shade the building. It's brilliant.

PostPosted: 06/07/10 1:02 pm • # 8 
Editorialist

I don't get the spagetti strap rule myself, but i can tell you how it's been relayed to me. 

I teach grade one, and my little girlies are always coming to school in little sun dresses, that look cute on them.  And they're always getting sent home, or notes home, or whatever because of them.  It was explained to me that the teachers of the older students want us to instill this rule before the kids hit puberty, so that they don't have to embarrass them by suggesting that maybe they're showing just a little too much cleavage, and don't quite have the coverage they should have.  Also, there's the danger of clothing blowouts--those spagetti straps aren't very strong.  The teachers of adolescents dont' want to be in the position of having to have the argument of...well... they wore it last year....

One of the things parents need to understand is that the dress codes are usually set by parent councils.  So, if they want to overthrow or change it, don't talk to the teachers, go to a parent council meeting, and state your case.

The other fight i end up in every year is the bloody hat thing.  My position is that we want the kids to wear the hats outside at recess, in summer for sun and in winter for warmth, and if we insist they take it off at the door, rather than on their rack, they lose them.  And older kids don't want to take them off because they are embarassed by the damage it does to their precious hairdos.  Would it kill us to let them wear them indoors?  I dunno.  Some teachers feel very strongly about it.  I could care less, and I figure i've got bigger wars to win.  but i'm not in charge.

Page 1 of 1   [ 8 posts ] New Topic Add Reply