It is currently 09/27/24 4:14 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Page 1 of 1   [ 8 posts ]
PostPosted: 07/05/10 8:44 am • # 1 
Editorialist

The other day, as I was thinking of my Mom, I realized that I had not looked for or looked at pictures from the last two years of my life in Alabama. Then I realized that they were all on floppy discs and I don't have a floppy disc drive! lol. I don't have any printed pictures as I left them all with my daughters. My brother had scanned all of the really old family prints to the computer and burned disks, but we never did anything with the floppies.

I called a local photography store and asked if they could transfer them for me. The poor young man sort of hesitated and said.......uhhhhhhhh, yes I can do that. I then ask why he sounded so hesitant. He said he had never been asked before LOL!!! Boy am I "old school".

Then I asked the price. $9.99. I said "For each one?", not thinking about how much could fit on one CD. He said, no..for all of them. What a deal! I could buy an external floppy drive for about $40, but thats such a waste for this one task.

Just thought I'd pass this along in case anyone else has old floppies that they need transferred.  

PostPosted: 07/05/10 1:37 pm • # 2 
I have a sh*tload of old floppy drives sitting in a drawer somewhere - want one?

My problem is a bit different... I have at least 10,000 slides I photographed of various trips I took to BC and Alberta through the 80's and 90's. I have found a USB device that can transfer them to my hard drive BUT it's only 5 megapixels. I need to find a scanner that a) runs in Win 7 b) is cheap c) can scan slides, negatives or hard copy in high resolution.

PostPosted: 07/05/10 1:42 pm • # 3 
Administrator

BYTECC Black 1.44MB Internal Floppy Drive Model BT-145

$7.99     plus $5.99 Shipping*
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16821121001

PostPosted: 07/05/10 2:02 pm • # 4 
Editorialist

LOL jab. With the shipping it's still more expensive. Image  I will only need it for this purpose and never again anyway. I only came into the computer world in 2000, so floppy was on it's way out and CD's were the new format. Besides, I had only a floppy drive on my first computer anyway. It was a freebie from an office. They were upgrading. hahahaha 

Now that I think about it.........it had Win98, a huge ass printer (not inkjet or laser), a CRT monitor and I was on dial-up out in the boondocks.  It's a wonder I ever connected to the internet. Sheesh, I remember that sound of the dial-up monitor connecting and the many times I was booted off right in the middle of a sentence in the chat room. Those were the days.........

PostPosted: 07/05/10 2:06 pm • # 5 
Editorialist

Sidartha wrote:
I have a sh*tload of old floppy drives sitting in a drawer somewhere - want one?

My problem is a bit different... I have at least 10,000 slides I photographed of various trips I took to BC and Alberta through the 80's and 90's. I have found a USB device that can transfer them to my hard drive BUT it's only 5 megapixels. I need to find a scanner that a) runs in Win 7 b) is cheap c) can scan slides, negatives or hard copy in high resolution.
Sid, do you have a Black's Photography in your area?  They are great and could probably do that for you cheaper than you buying the equipment to do it.  If you do, it can't hurt to call and ask anyway. If not them, then another store that specializes in photography equipment.

PostPosted: 07/06/10 1:16 am • # 6 
I've been down that route Roseanne. They want 10 cents per x 10,000 = $1,000.

PostPosted: 07/07/10 9:53 am • # 7 
Editorialist

PostPosted: 07/07/10 1:18 pm • # 8 
That's not quite what I said... my response was something like "You're out of your f*cking mind!"

Page 1 of 1   [ 8 posts ] New Topic Add Reply