It is currently 09/27/24 4:15 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Page 1 of 1   [ 2 posts ]
 Post subject: Rant for today
PostPosted: 07/07/10 10:00 am • # 1 
Editorialist

I hate those damn partially-transparent, animated pop-ups that appear on web pages. Some are activated when your cursor happens to hover over them and I TRY to keep my cursor over by the scroll bar, others just appear. A man running across the page, a "drawing" of a chair or some other item.
Then try to find the close option........arrrrrrrgh, it's hidden in a tiny corner, but never the same corner. Hard to see because the area around it is transparent and it's on top of text from the page. The newest version I've noticed is the ones that creep up from the  bottom of the page.
Tell me, do you EVER read them or click on them? Does anyone? I don't. I couldn't even tell you the subject of any pop-up. IMO, the advertisers are wasting their time and money besides mucking up my web pages.

Post subject: Rant for today
PostPosted: 07/07/10 1:17 pm • # 2 
You're going to have to get used to it because unfortunately most web sites wouldn't exist without the ad revenues. As for the advertisers - a simple banner or skyscraper ad just doesn't cut it. They want exclusivity and prominence along with the possibility that the visitor will accidentally click on it. Worse is yet to come. I've seen banner ads that have full motion video and audio. You can click "close" but the moment you scroll your mouse or move to another page, they start up again. Some streaming television shows have ads that put the volume up really high, so you might be enjoying a show when suddenly you're blasted out of your chair. It doesn't matter what people do to avoid the annoyance, advertisers will find a work-around.

Page 1 of 1   [ 2 posts ] New Topic Add Reply