It is currently 05/20/24 8:42 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17 ... 23  Next   Page 14 of 23   [ 565 posts ]
 Post subject: Pet peeve(s) of the day
PostPosted: 01/11/12 7:00 am • # 326 
Editorialist

No point. I do the same thing. ImageImage

Whatever works. I've used a key as a screwdriver in a pinch. A (US) dollar bill makes a great measuring tape. Almost exactly 6". I know all of those tricks, thanks to Dad. Image

PostPosted: 01/12/12 6:13 am • # 327 
Editorialist

Our kitchen table, which is made of butcher block wood, has six tiny little holes in the top from where I once drilled something out and the bit was a millimeter too long.   Of course my wife at the time suggested, rather forcefully, that I shouldn't have been drilling on the table in the first place.  Even telling her I could fix it with a bit of duct tape and a magic marker didn't help.

PostPosted: 01/12/12 7:25 am • # 328 
No... but you can fix it with a mix of sawdust and epoxy.

PostPosted: 01/12/12 9:04 am • # 329 
Editorialist

A few years ago, I realized that hubby had a "top box" in the garage that was empty, so I prodded him to move it into the basement. Just to set up a place for household tools so we didn't have to go out to the garage, and so I could get the screwdrivers and pliers and whatnot out of the kitchen drawers. It sort of worked....but I'm the only one who ever puts anything back in there. Image 

( I've done the dollar bill measuring trick too, roseanne. Nifty.)

Jim, Jim, Jim........Image

PostPosted: 01/13/12 8:35 am • # 330 
Editorialist

Sidartha wrote:
No... but you can fix it with a mix of sawdust and epoxy.
I know that.  I just like mentioning duct tape.

PostPosted: 01/18/12 7:37 pm • # 331 
Editorialist

Well, that sucked!  Saturday morning I had great plans for the weekend.  Was going to finish painting my livingroom and, since it was a snow day, get out and take some cool pictures.  In keeping with my plans I spent a bit of time in here in the morning and then went to shower and get ready for the day.  Got dressed, hads a bowl of cereal and a heart attack.  Fucked up the whole weekend.  I got home from the hospital tonight.  Guess I'll be popping pills for a long spell.

I owe my daughter a big thanks.  She wasn't home when it happened but happened to phone just as it was underway - those suckers hurt.  She knew something bad was was going on and that I wouldn't ever call the ambulance so she did it.  Probably saved my life.  Actually, I owe my secretary too.  She called right after Laura and she called the ambulance as well.   It was typical of both of them, though - to wait until I was really busy with something before calling.  Nexrt question that just now crossed my mind - what the hell was I doing answering the phone in the middle of a heart attack?

PostPosted: 01/19/12 2:54 am • # 332 
Editorialist

[quote="jimwilliam"]Well, that sucked!

PostPosted: 01/19/12 3:07 am • # 333 
Editorialist

I should also say that it's a great talk about consciousness, connectedness and our lives. Image 

PostPosted: 01/19/12 3:11 am • # 334 
Editorialist

Good grief Jim, I really think a heart attack is more than a miscellaneous pet peeve. WTH???Image 

What's the plan now to prevent another? Sending good vibes your way. 

PostPosted: 01/19/12 3:49 am • # 335 
Editorialist

I hope you're following doctor's orders, Jim and taking care of yourself.  Or we may have to stage an intervention....

PostPosted: 01/19/12 3:53 am • # 336 
Administrator

WOW, jim ~ I'm VERY HAPPY to read your post ... because that means you survived ~ Image

Sooz

PostPosted: 01/19/12 4:02 am • # 337 
Welcome back Jim... Holy crap! Those heart attacks can really creep up on you, eh. One minute your minding your own business and the next minute - BAM!

I had two in 2002. The second attack was on (get this) February 22nd 2002 (2-22-2002). I was in the hospital for 9 days after that second attack. I had an angioplasty done and I'm on meds for the rest of my life.

(((((((((((((Good Vibes...)))))))))))))))

PostPosted: 01/19/12 6:36 am • # 338 
Good grief, Jim.  I've always thought of pet peeves as when someone else does something that irritates you, not when your own heart does.  I'm so glad you are ok and hope that you do follow doctors suggestions on how to prevent future heart attacks.  Funny how those calls came when they did, cool.  Please take care Jim, we love you.

PostPosted: 01/19/12 6:46 am • # 339 
Jim, I am really sorry, but happy you are here posting!

PostPosted: 01/19/12 6:54 am • # 340 
Editorialist

[quote="jimwilliam"]Well, that sucked!

PostPosted: 01/19/12 7:55 am • # 341 
Editorialist

Thank God for family & friends who care and watch out for us, eh Jim? So glad on your behalf for those phone calls, & glad you're still with us. Take care of yourself.

PostPosted: 01/19/12 8:08 am • # 342 
Editorialist

While looking for Jim's #330 I ran across this, and it almost made ME have a heart attack:
queenoftheuniverse wrote:
Oh yeah, and I hate when people misuse of and have.
Jabra wrote:  Yeah! I could of mentioned that, too. Gramps even does that, and it creeps me out.
In Germany they teach us the obviously wrong way, as in "I could have mentioned that"

Jabra!  I NEVER say or write "could of", "should of", "would of", etc.!! When someone uses that combination, I immediately think "...used English text to level milking stool".
I do use contractions like "should've" frequently, but that is a contraction of "should have", not "should of" [ptui. spits on carpet next to desk]. 

Please tell me you have mistaken someone else for me. I don't want to surrender my grammar police badge.

PostPosted: 01/19/12 8:33 am • # 343 
Administrator

Nexrt question that just now crossed my mind - what the hell was I doing answering the phone in the middle of a heart attack?

Pretending you weren't having one? Some denial is good for the soul but that's a bit of a stretch. [img]/domainskins/bypass/img/smileys/wink.gif[/img]
Hope all is well, jim.

PostPosted: 01/19/12 1:04 pm • # 344 
So glad you are well enough now to let us know what happened.  So sorry to hear this and hope you take your meds and get better soon. Do take care.

PostPosted: 01/19/12 5:38 pm • # 345 
Administrator

grampatom wrote:
While looking for Jim's #330 I ran across this, and it almost made ME have a heart attack:
queenoftheuniverse wrote:
Oh yeah, and I hate when people misuse of and have.
Jabra wrote:  Yeah! I could of mentioned that, too. Gramps even does that, and it creeps me out.
In Germany they teach us the obviously wrong way, as in "I could have mentioned that"

Jabra!  I NEVER say or write "could of", "should of", "would of", etc.!! When someone uses that combination, I immediately think "...used English text to level milking stool".
I do use contractions like "should've" frequently, but that is a contraction of "should have", not "should of" [ptui. spits on carpet next to desk]. 

Please tell me you have mistaken someone else for me. I don't want to surrender my grammar police badge.
LOL! You did at least once, Gramps. My world fell apart, "Oh no! Not Gramps, too!" and I actually researched this weird phrase and found out that it is indeed very common in this country. Despair not, though. I blamed it on burnout or something similar. Image

Good going there, Jim. Am I still mentioned in your last will? Image

Last edited by jabra2 on 01/19/12 5:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 01/19/12 6:17 pm • # 346 
Editorialist

Thanks for your well wishes guys and yeah I'm going to take better care of myself.  Funny thing is I thought I was taking care of myself..  I don't drink. I exercise regularly.  I quit smoking. It's been ages since I considered deep fried, chocolate coated giant butter tarts to be a major food group.  I not only put the occasional vegetable on my plate, I actually eat it.   I'm maybe ten or fifteen pounds over weight but not much more and even that was headed in the right direction. 

Anyway, it's been quite a life altering experience.  It's too soon to know exactly how it's altered.  There's a lot to deal with.  Right now it's mostly shock and being pissed off that this has happened.  It's the first time my body has actually betrayed me.  I can't trust it anymore.   Until Saturday there was a part of me which really did think I was immortal. 

PostPosted: 01/19/12 6:20 pm • # 347 
Editorialist

Good going there, Jim. Am I still mentioned in your last will

You sure are, Jab.  Right there in the last line where it says,  "And here's a big shout out to Jab."

PostPosted: 01/20/12 1:57 am • # 348 
(pssst.... I'll let you in on a little secret...)

After my second heart attack, where I spent nine days in the hospital - I was really craving a burger... not just any burger mind you but an 8 oz monster offered at a family diner down the street from where I was living. So... I told my house mate I was going to go and get some "exercise"... hehehe... I guess I was tempting fate or something, but that was the best burger I ever had.

PostPosted: 01/20/12 3:06 am • # 349 
Editorialist

jimwilliam wrote:
Good going there, Jim. Am I still mentioned in your last will

You sure are, Jab.  Right there in the last line where it says,  "And here's a big shout out to Jab."

PostPosted: 01/20/12 3:34 am • # 350 
Editorialist

I know just what you mean, Jim. Kind of makes you think that everything we're told about staying healthy is a load of crap, doesn't it?

Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17 ... 23  Next   Page 14 of 23   [ 565 posts ] New Topic Add Reply