It is currently 05/20/24 7:09 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18 ... 23  Next   Page 15 of 23   [ 565 posts ]
 Post subject: Pet peeve(s) of the day
PostPosted: 01/20/12 3:51 am • # 351 
Editorialist

I remember a famous runner from years ago who ate right and, of course, ran miles a day. He dropped dead of a heart attack. Does make you wonder. My exercise and diet are so that I feel better. I hold no fantasies that it will prevent anything, only maybe delay it...............

PostPosted: 01/20/12 7:48 am • # 352 
Editorialist

roseanne wrote:
I remember a famous runner from years ago who ate right and, of course, ran miles a day. He dropped dead of a heart attack. Does make you wonder. My exercise and diet are so that I feel better. I hold no fantasies that it will prevent anything, only maybe delay it...............
I remember him too, Roseanne.  I forget his name but I think he was just 50 when he went.  There was that other eating healthy guy, too.  I think his name was Ewel Gibbons, who ate nothing but nuts n'twigs n' acorns who flopped over somewhere in his fifties as well.

PostPosted: 01/20/12 8:23 am • # 353 
Editorialist

Sidartha wrote:
(pssst.... I'll let you in on a little secret...)

After my second heart attack, where I spent nine days in the hospital - I was really craving a burger... not just any burger mind you but an 8 oz monster offered at a family diner down the street from where I was living. So... I told my house mate I was going to go and get some "exercise"... hehehe... I guess I was tempting fate or something, but that was the best burger I ever had.
Funny thing is, I'm having exactly the opposite reaction.  I'm actually relieved to be giving up some of the high fat things that I used to love.  In the hospital they were feeding me a heart smart diet, of course.  Turns out there's some pretty good stuff in it providing you don't over do it. 

PostPosted: 01/20/12 9:36 am • # 354 
Editorialist

He lived a tad longer:

Euell Theophilus Gibbons (September 14, 1911 – December 29, 1975) was an outdoorsman and proponent of natural diets during the 1960s.

PostPosted: 01/20/12 10:17 am • # 355 
Editorialist

roseanne wrote:
He lived a tad longer:

Euell Theophilus Gibbons (September 14, 1911 – December 29, 1975) was an outdoorsman and proponent of natural diets during the 1960s.

I thought he was younger than that when he wen t.  Still 64 isn't all that old - especially when you're 61.

PostPosted: 01/20/12 10:32 am • # 356 
Administrator

Are you maybe thinking of Jim Fixx? ~ I think that's the name ~ when you mentioned "famous runner, died young", that name popped into my mind ~

Sooz

PostPosted: 01/20/12 11:09 am • # 357 
Editorialist

Yeah, that's him. Died right after a run at age 52.

PostPosted: 01/20/12 11:11 am • # 358 
Editorialist

jimwilliam wrote:
roseanne wrote:
He lived a tad longer:

I thought he was younger than that when he wen t.  Still 64 isn't all that old - especially when you're 61.

LOL, I was thinking the same thing. Funny how "old" changes definition as you age. Image    

PostPosted: 01/20/12 3:51 pm • # 359 
That's OK Roseanne... I consider 20-30 year-olds to be kids.

PostPosted: 01/20/12 7:23 pm • # 360 
Editorialist

Sidartha wrote:
That's OK Roseanne... I consider 20-30 year-olds to be kids.
That's okay, Sid.  When my ex-in-laws have one of their major family get togethers I'm still at the kid's table.  In fact, I'm not quite but close to being one of the youngest "kids" at it. 

PostPosted: 01/22/12 6:59 am • # 361 
Jim I too am very sorry you went through that but thankful you survived!  Personally (of course) I don't believe in coincidence, and it is wonderful those phone calls occurred!  It is also I think a good thing that your heart condition was "exposed"--there are many many people walking about with ":widowmaker" hearts who have no idea they have a heart condition until they drop dead.  another bit of fyi:  the cholesterol "level" test results don't mean crap:  they are the result of the "overall body in total result" and do not accurately indicate the level of fat around cardiac tissue--IOW, one could have a good cholesterol score and have cardiac blood vessels that are blocking off with fat deposits--just depends how one's body is depositing the fat...thus all persons who have suffered a heart attack should be on statins no matter what their cholesterol scores are.  Learned this the hard way with my late hubby P who had great cholesterol scores and the doc didn't think he needed to be on the statins...he should have been,

PostPosted: 01/22/12 7:16 am • # 362 
Editorialist

Jim hurries off to find out what statins are and if he's on them.

PostPosted: 01/27/12 10:00 am • # 363 
Lol!  Statins are the "cholesterol busters/preventors" such as Crestor or lipitor (two that come to mind)--sometimes if a pt. has a "good" cholesterol reading (but has had a heart attack anyway) the doc thinks the pt. doesn't need a statin (which like any med has its own side effects)...sadly, Perry and I learned too late that our family GP was in error when he said Perry didn't need the statins...from the cardiologist we learned that Perry should have been on the statins from the very first heart attack==personally, i think anyone over the age of 50 should be on them, heart attack or not (no, I'm not on them:  my doc is a natural health nut who is poisoning me with vitamins and hormones rather than meds...siiigh...she once mentioned the words "routine mammogram and colonoscopy" to which she received my glare and my "if it works why fix it?" question, so I don't feel I should ask for medicine!)  I wish you good health Jim!  Perry did live for 20 years after his heart surgery even without statins, if that's any comfort! A beautiful 20 years....course I would rather he'd lived another 20 but then I'm the greedy sort...............

PostPosted: 01/27/12 2:08 pm • # 364 
I've been on Zocor since Feb. 2002.

PostPosted: 01/31/12 11:37 am • # 365 
Editorialist

Okay....phone rings, I answer, it's yet another "education service" asking for hubby. I politely identify myself as "Mrs. Hubby", and tell them that no, hubby did NOT check off a box online indicating that he was interested in hearing from them. This moron proceeds to argue with me about it. "We only[/i] call people who directly requested this information. Are you SURE he didn't ask for information, maybe while you weren't home or something?"

Let's just say he won't be forgetting the rest of our little chat any time soon. lol By the time I got done chewing him up, he was promising me that he'd put us on their Do Not Call list. Oh no...not so fast, moron. You WILL give me your full name-not just your first name- the full name and mailing address of your company, the direct phone number to your company, and the website where you *claim* we indicated an interest...and then I recite the date and time and officially declare that they ( I read back all of the above) have been informed of our DNC request, and any further rings on our phone will subject them to a fine for each and every call. Then I hit him with "Do we understand each other?"Image

Moron: "Yes Ma'am"Image 

PostPosted: 01/31/12 1:06 pm • # 366 
I haven't had any of those kinds of calls since I left Bell (Canada's biggest phone/internet/TV/satellite/Broadcasting conglomerate). But... when I was getting them, I took a different tack: "Please don't call this number again" and hang up. I don't want to have to puff on nitroglycerine every time I get calls like that.

PostPosted: 02/01/12 6:26 am • # 367 
Editorialist

Chaos333 wrote:
Okay....phone rings, I answer, it's yet another "education service" asking for hubby. I politely identify myself as "Mrs. Hubby", and tell them that no, hubby did NOT check off a box online indicating that he was interested in hearing from them. This moron proceeds to argue with me about it. "We only[/i] call people who directly requested this information. Are you SURE he didn't ask for information, maybe while you weren't home or something?"

Let's just say he won't be forgetting the rest of our little chat any time soon. lol By the time I got done chewing him up, he was promising me that he'd put us on their Do Not Call list. Oh no...not so fast, moron. You WILL give me your full name-not just your first name- the full name and mailing address of your company, the direct phone number to your company, and the website where you *claim* we indicated an interest...and then I recite the date and time and officially declare that they ( I read back all of the above) have been informed of our DNC request, and any further rings on our phone will subject them to a fine for each and every call. Then I hit him with "Do we understand each other?"Image

Moron: "Yes Ma'am"Image 

I'm a soft touch for any charity that calls me.  That made me number one on every boiler room call list every month.  I always felt guilty saying "no".  Secretary, however, had no such qualms and she took over handling such calls when they came in using pretty much the same tactics as you.  I still give but in a more controlled manner.  "Ace Bettor's Home For Unwed Racehorses" doesn't get anything anymore.

PostPosted: 02/01/12 8:53 am • # 368 
Editorialist

Good move, Jim.

I tell all charities to send their information in the mail, and I will check them out, *then* decide if they are getting a donation. Most don't bother. That tells you something!

PostPosted: 02/01/12 9:02 am • # 369 
I worked in one of those boiler rooms selling credit cards - I lasted 5 minutes and quit. I then got a job working the phones for the hospital foundation and worked for them for three years.

PostPosted: 02/01/12 11:23 am • # 370 

Siiiiigh:  At a time when millions of people would give their hearts, bodies, and souls to have a job like mine at my pay scale even, I am having a hard time with the work changes:  7P-7A...has turned my life inside out--I make more money which enables me to once again (after being in the hole for so many months!) be able to help others a little bit, but physically it is doing a number on me...hospital went to all 12 hr shifts--with my granddau's class schedule it was necessary for me to be available mornings for her--thus I'm on nites and 3 days/wk deal with numbing fatigue and mind fuzziness as my body tries to adjust to sleeping from noon until 5p without waking up every hour--and yes i am grateful for my job--just exhausted....when the kid gets out of nursing school, there will be another job opening for some soul...I do not like growing old this fast! 

PostPosted: 02/01/12 1:12 pm • # 371 
Editorialist

There was a time when I had to work those shifts, Cannalee.  For me, "dark" did the trick.  Heavy blackout drapes and I slept like a baby. 

In fact, it's pretty much the same thing now.  Because of the number of movies they film next door, my ex-wife and I set-up a bedroom in the basement of our home.  The movies were never loud but the lights were sometimes quite bright.  It was always dark down there and we slept wonderfully.  It was summer at the time and, besides staying dark, the basement stayed cool so we decided to stay there for the summer.  That particular wife has been gone for ten or twelve years but I'm still in the basement sleeping happily. 

PostPosted: 02/01/12 1:17 pm • # 372 
My bedroom was painted navy blue and has the same color for the blinds. it's not totally dark during the day but really good at cutting all the ambient light from the streetlights at night.

PostPosted: 02/02/12 2:06 pm • # 373 
Editorialist

Not sure if there's anything here that's helpful Cannalee....but who knows?

PostPosted: 02/04/12 8:08 am • # 374 
Thank you for the link Chaos! I think it is one I will enjoy for a lot of reasons....yes, Dark seems to have a lot to do with it--being the idiot i am and a sunshine lover to boot, i admit I opened the drapes b4 going to sleep!  Have accepted the fact that 3 days out of 7 I'm just going to have to pass up the sunshine on work days and enjoy it on my days off--which basically is 4 and a half days so's not too bad--Thurs I did get 4 hrs sleep so am doing better....now if I can get my own computer area set back up and leave this laptop thingee to my granddau, life might get back on a smoother keel!

PostPosted: 03/07/12 11:14 am • # 375 
Editorialist

I wonder how an interior window suddenly has a giant crack. And I wonder how the battery in my van knew hubby wasn't home when it decided to die.

Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18 ... 23  Next   Page 15 of 23   [ 565 posts ] New Topic Add Reply