It is currently 05/18/24 6:02 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 23  Next   Page 5 of 23   [ 565 posts ]
 Post subject: Pet peeve(s) of the day
PostPosted: 10/31/10 12:49 pm • # 101 
Yeah... we like t' git you galdarned imigrint dancin' throo hoops if you is wantin' t' live 'ere.

PostPosted: 11/04/10 5:59 am • # 102 
Editorialist

I just have to ask...

Why does the NJEA perpetually schedule the 2-day teacher convention ( in Atlantic City, no less) during the school year, on days the kids would have had school?Image Have they never heard of weekends? Attending is NOT mandatory. In fact, only a very small percentage of teachers actually attend. 

This week, schools had to close for elections ( because for some strange reason, voting can't take place at the municipal building or any other place BUT schools), now another 2 days off. Add 4 half-days for teacher conferences leading into Thanksgiving, and the day after Thanksgiving off. (Because working parents really appreciate having to take time off for a conference, I'm sure.)

This is why our kids don't get out of school until almost the END of June. What a load of crappy planning. A whole 13 full days of school this month. Maybe before we consider extending the school day or the school year, we should fix this garbage!!!

PostPosted: 11/04/10 6:01 am • # 103 
Kids in Canada are envious...

PostPosted: 11/13/10 10:51 am • # 104 
Cheesey merchants:

Today I did what I normally do this time of year and helped out to decorate the local mall for Christmas. I don't do it for free as I do get paid a small amount in the form of "Mall Dollars". These certificates are redeemable at any of the mall stores and then the store gets redeemed in full by the mall's merchant association. Every time I try to purchase something with these "dollars", they try to cheese me out of my change. So, if I buy something for $22.95 and I give them a $25 certificate, I should be getting $2.05 in change. I had to get the merchant association rep on the phone to instruct the merchant that I do indeed get change for the balance of the certificate. It's a small amount, I know - but there is a principle here... and I don't think I have to tell anyone here what that principle is... Here's my beef: according to the rep, all the merchants have been instructed about this issue, but they still try to nickel and dime people who earned these mall dollars in good faith that they would be (as indicated on the certificate) "Redeemed in full." So... I'm left to wonder how many other people who get these "mall dollars" for whatever reason are being pilfered by unscrupulous merchants who see an opportunity to screw them out of a few bucks here and there. It's maddening as hell.

PostPosted: 11/15/10 6:24 pm • # 105 
Editorialist

No good deed goes unpunished, Sid.

PostPosted: 11/17/10 3:30 pm • # 106 
Administrator

I've been meaning to mention this for a couple of weeks ~ my favorite 'oldies' station [with the best 'mix' around and long playlists] that I listen to in the car has for the 3d year in a row again gone to all-Christmas music 24/7 the first week in November ~ Image

Sooz

PostPosted: 11/17/10 3:44 pm • # 107 
welcome to "robo-radio" where all the music is preloaded and nobody is at the desk.

PostPosted: 11/19/10 10:39 am • # 108 
Editorialist

Snow. Nuff said.

Whatever happened to that wide-eyed Southern Belle who ooohed and ahhhhed over every snowfall?Image

PostPosted: 11/20/10 1:48 pm • # 109 
"Whatever happened to that wide-eyed Southern Belle who ooohed and ahhhhed over every snowfall?"

She hurt her back shovelling the stuff.

PostPosted: 11/22/10 6:46 am • # 110 
Editorialist

The new security checks, feel ups and x rays in order to board a plane. It is wrong and cowardly to give up rights to privacy and unreasonable search out of fear.  What is wrong with people that they would let strangers view their children virtually naked in order to fly somewhere?  Who wants to live in that culture of fear?  Is everyone insane????? 

PostPosted: 11/30/10 7:30 am • # 111 
Editorialist

"Have a happy period" by Always.Image Had to be a man that thought of this tagline.Image 

PostPosted: 11/30/10 7:42 am • # 112 
queenoftheuniverse wrote:
The new security checks, feel ups and x rays in order to board a plane. It is wrong and cowardly to give up rights to privacy and unreasonable search out of fear.  What is wrong with people that they would let strangers view their children virtually naked in order to fly somewhere?  Who wants to live in that culture of fear?  Is everyone insane????? 
I've often thought of how I would respond to being fealt up and photographed virtually naked by a paranoid government -  and then, me being the rebel that I am, came up with an idea that includes wearing loose pants and perusing some Playboy mags at the magazine counter before I get in line for my government fetish feel.

PostPosted: 11/30/10 7:44 am • # 113 
Administrator

LMAO, roseanne ~ I [luckily] haven't seen that one yet ~ but I most definitely do NOT miss those days ~ 

Sooz

PostPosted: 11/30/10 10:05 am • # 114 
Editorialist

Sidartha wrote:
I've often thought of how I would respond to being fealt up and photographed virtually naked by a paranoid government -  and then, me being the rebel that I am, came up with an idea that includes wearing loose pants and perusing some Playboy mags at the magazine counter before I get in line for my government fetish feel.

A local DJ was encouraging men to wear kilts when flying...

PostPosted: 11/30/10 10:35 am • # 115 
Editorialist

Sidartha wrote:

A local DJ was encouraging men to wear kilts when flying...

LMAO Sid. You could.....just to be contrary.......peruse Playboy, but carry a copy of Playgirl through the line. Then giggle and titter while they feel you up.Image

queen.........Commando, of course?Image

PostPosted: 11/30/10 10:42 am • # 116 
HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

PostPosted: 12/01/10 5:49 am • # 117 
Editorialist

No question, Roseanne!  Make 'em squirm.

PostPosted: 12/02/10 2:30 am • # 118 
Editorialist

roseanne wrote:
"Have a happy period" by Always.Image Had to be a man that thought of this tagline.Image 

ROTFLMAO!!!!!!

PostPosted: 12/05/10 7:13 am • # 119 
Editorialist

Stupid recalls and unnecessary empty shelves.

I use Rolaids softchews if I wake up during the night with indigestion. They dissolve faster. I keep them by the bed so that I get relief and am not spending too much time awake.

They recalled them because of this:

November 15, 2010

In consultation with the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA), McNeil Consumer Healthcare, Division of McNEIL-PPC, Inc. has initiated a voluntary recall of one product lot of ROLAIDS® Extra Strength Softchews, Cherry Flavor, 36 count package distributed in the United States.

This is a wholesale and retail level recall. No action is required by consumers or healthcare providers and consumers can continue to use the product. The recall was initiated as a precaution following consumer complaints of an uncharacteristic consistency or texture, traced to crystallized sugar in the product.Image

Oh the humanity! Crystallized sugar!!!!!

Of  course, Canada wanting to be "safe" pulled all of them, including the Vanilla Flavor. I do prefer the cherry, but would have settled for the Vanilla. What stupidity. The shelves have been empty for a while now. ONE lot, people. Make more and send, lol.

What do they do with these recalled products? Repackage them and send them to China laced with an added dose of melamine ? ImageImage

PostPosted: 12/07/10 4:42 am • # 120 
Editorialist

Our idiotic NJ bear hunt has begun. Though not a single incident of a person being hurt or killed by a bear has happened, somehow, somewhere, someone decided we "had" to slaughter hundreds of innocent bears.

I can understand a nuisance bear, lured repeatedly into populated areas by yummy garbage that isn't secured having to be killed. They are creatures of habit, and once they find an easy food source they'll be back.

But killing hundreds of bears *in the woods* where they should be? Might as well say we need to shoot hundreds of human beings in their living rooms because of the murder rate.Image

PostPosted: 12/09/10 4:21 am • # 121 
Editorialist

I'm just so sick of all the polarization in politics.  Aren't there any moderates left in America?  It seems like everyone is unreasonable and not smart enough to think things through or think for themselves.

PostPosted: 12/09/10 7:02 am • # 122 
They don't want to have to think. that's too much like work.

PostPosted: 12/15/10 5:22 pm • # 123 
Editorialist

Clicking on a slide show for a story or for just a picture gallery:

1. They put up totally stupid archive pictures (which may or may not have anything to do with the story) and a teeny-tiny blurb next to the pics, which contains a link to another site for more info.  I want the entire story that was advertised in the headline on one or two pages, people! Image

2. Everytime you click on a new picture, the entire page has to reload  Image

3. Lame-ass descriptions of pictures and or redundant pics. For example: "People going to work in NYC" next to a different, but similar picture "People going to work in NYC"  Image

In the same vein, clicking on a headline only to get a freaking video that wasn't identified as a video link. Image

Stomp, stomp....huff, huff..............ok rant over. Image

PostPosted: 12/15/10 6:07 pm • # 124 
Editorialist

My online grocer ran out of turkeys for holiday meals for the second year in a row.  And I ordered early just to avoid this occurrence!  

PostPosted: 01/04/11 8:35 am • # 125 
Editorialist

Laundry peeve....as I'm in the midst of what will wind up being about 8 loads.

It's wonderful that my daughter gets so many great clothes as gifts, really. Especially since she's in pre-teen mode and not interested in "little girl" clothes anymore. However.....I've made certain things clear over the years. Crystal clear. Rule number ONE: If it can't machine wash and tumble dry, it can't live here. lol Gentle cycle/ tumble low-fine. But we don't do dry clean. And we don't do hand wash. (If you give her hand wash, you'd better be around enough to hand wash it if it needs it.) Finding a place for anything to lay flat to dry is a joke, as the cats have clean clothes radar. And yet, without fail, the uber-fancy schmancy dress shows up...sweaters that need "reshape and dry flat"....a matched outfit with pants that can go in the dryer and a shirt that needs to lay flat...( wth?)...and our old friend, "hand wash only". Image

Rule number two: Your odds of buying her pants that fit are about 50-1. Either take her to the store with you, or just give her a gift card or something, because I really don't have the time or the inclination to run back to stores to exchange clothes. 

I'm busy doing laundry.....Image

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 23  Next   Page 5 of 23   [ 565 posts ] New Topic Add Reply