It is currently 03/28/24 2:34 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 23  Next   Page 1 of 23   [ 565 posts ]
 Post subject: Pet peeve(s) of the day
PostPosted: 07/08/10 3:09 pm • # 1 
Editorialist

I'm not the best at spelling or grammar, though I used to be. These two things drive me nuts, lol

1. Than and then. Than is a comparison, then indicates time. "My dog is bigger than your dog."' "When the day's work is done, then I can rest"

2. Can and may. Can means one is able, may means one has permission or is allowed. "I can turn a cartwheel"  "You may kiss the bride".

The first is abused quite often on the boards. The second one is why I made this post. I play online pool. When I accidently sink the computers ball, but not mine, I get this message "You can only sink your balls"  NO dammit, I CAN sink anything I hit into a pocket. I am only allowed to (or may) hit my own balls, according to the rules. No wonder we ask "Is our children learning?" Image 

Ok, today's lesson is over. Claaaaass! Claaaaass! SHUT UP! roflmao. ( I can't remember where that is from...Cheech and Chong?)

PostPosted: 07/09/10 1:45 am • # 2 
Administrator

I here you and your not alone. Their are a few more things that drive me nuts. Image

PostPosted: 07/09/10 2:46 am • # 3 
Administrator

Very subtle, Jab ~ LMAO!

Sooz

PostPosted: 07/09/10 5:11 am • # 4 
Editorialist

I learned the "can" and "may" lesson quite young. I had a 3rd grade teacher who would reply to this question: "Can I go to the bathroom", with "I don't know, CAN you?"  The class quickly caught on and I'm sure that all of my classmates have never forgot that very practical, yet light hearted, grammar lesson. LOL

PostPosted: 07/09/10 5:18 am • # 5 
Editorialist

Sister Mary Elephant

PostPosted: 07/09/10 5:18 am • # 6 
Editorialist

jabra2 wrote:
I here you and your not alone. Their are a few more things that drive me nuts. Image

LOL, jab!!! Yeah, that one too, along with the "u" for "you" when every other damned word is spelled out. What? Those 2 extra letters are too hard to type?  Shera does this. I think  it's so that she looks "cool" and "with it". ROFLMAO!

It frustrates me that I must look up the spelling of words and take time to "inspect" my grammar before I post. There was a time it came automatically with no thought or hesitation. Sigh. At my age, it's not the memory storage that is a problem, it's the retrieval. (See, I had to look that word up)

PostPosted: 07/09/10 5:20 am • # 7 
Editorialist

queenoftheuniverse wrote:
Sister Mary Elephant

Yes!!! Thanks.

PostPosted: 07/09/10 5:25 am • # 8 
Editorialist

Drive me nuts- misuse they're, their, there, your, you're or purposely misspell something for use in advertisements directed toward children.  No wonder nobody can spell anymore.  Spell check is no help with the misuse of these words.

PostPosted: 07/09/10 5:37 am • # 9 
Administrator

I hate that kids are allowed/encouraged to use calculators in general math classes ~

Sooz

PostPosted: 07/10/10 2:54 am • # 10 
Administrator

I have no complaints today.
I dressed up as Flash Gordon, buckled my photon belt, checked my shields and took my meds.
Everything seems to bounce off of me.

Maybe later or tomorrow.

PostPosted: 07/10/10 3:23 am • # 11 
Administrator

Not sure this qualifies as a "pet peeve", but ... yesterday, I went over to my local hand car wash ~ I have one of its' handy-dandy club cards, where you prepay and get 12 washes for the price of 10 ~ they do a great job and the standard car wash includes a mini-detailing ~ when my car was near done, I handed my club card to the cashier [the in-training cashier, with minimal English] ~ she looked me in the eye and asked me if I got a car washed ~ a gazilllion replies raced thru my mind ~ but she was very sweet, so I just said "yes, that's why I'm here" and let it go at that ~ Image

Sooz

PostPosted: 07/10/10 4:28 am • # 12 
Editorialist

People who do not pay attention when I answer the phone at work. My greeting is: Good morning (afternoon), Cordial Condominiums, roseanne speaking"  I don't rush it, and try to be articulate and cheerful. Then they ask "Is this Cordial Condominiums?" or "May I speak to roseanne?".........or "Is this Downtown Apartments?" Image There are days I want to just answer the phone with "WHAT?!"  roflmao

**names changed to protect my jobImage

PostPosted: 07/10/10 4:41 am • # 13 
Administrator

I like to walk in a store and get greated with "How ya doing?"
Most times I say "Terrible!" and get the response "That's great!"

Nobody gives a damn! Image

PostPosted: 07/10/10 4:59 am • # 14 
Editorialist

jabra2 wrote:
I like to walk in a store and get greated with "How ya doing?"
Most times I say "Terrible!" and get the response "That's great!"

Nobody gives a damn! Image

LOL jab, I used to work at a Kmart. Every evening I would ask our security guy "How are you?" to which he growled "Worse!".
He was an ex-marine and a real bulldog type (short, stocky and growly). I would reply "too bad". Some people do pay attention, but not many.
That brings me to another pet peeve. Instead of asking "how ya doing?", young people here ask "How's it going?" I always reply "good" of "it's going", but then I'm stumped when it's just a passing sort of thing. I don't have the time to ask, "How's it going with you?"
I need to learn to just reply in one breath....." Good, and you?" rofl.

PostPosted: 07/10/10 5:09 am • # 15 
Editorialist

Dear me, it looks like I've been peeved off for a while. I keep thinking of things.Image

I hate that men assume I know nothing because I am a woman. Image In my work I have dealt with contractors and listened to  hubby explain all sorts of things, so I've managed to gain a good working knowledge of plumbing, heating etc. I couldn't fix them, but I can damn well tell you what's wrong from a description of the problem most times.
I have a few contractors that dismiss my comments and ask hubby, who inevitably gives the same answer. Often times, we've discussed it before the contractor comes so that I AM able to talk to them if he is tied up with other work.

BTW, the same goes with cars. I was around my Dad and brothers for years working on cars, diagnosing problems from certain sounds or the behavior of the car that I can tell a mechanic what is wrong many times. Do they listen to me? NO. I caught one mechanic trying to stiff me for something I KNEW wasn't wrong. I told him I'd take him to court if he pressed the issue. He dropped those charges on my bill. LOL

PostPosted: 07/10/10 9:46 am • # 16 
Don't get me going on car mechanics--had one guy put oil in my transmission and try to tell me I needed the gasket replaced--he said, " See this sludge?" Someone must have put the wrong antifreeze in...." I hit the roof--already a year before had had that gasket replaced, a very expensive job...i was hot...he said, ' We can flush the system for you for an extra $100 but i'm pretty sure you will need the gasket replaced..."   I replied,"oh, I will indeed have to get the system flushed, but you won't be doing it, and you better pray I don't have to replace the gasket!"  The oil on the surface of this sludge was clean oil, not at all dirty...i was hopping mad...I'd worked so hard taking good care of my little car (i get 40/mpg right after an oil change on highway driving) and i was furious--I really wanted to hurt that mechanic really bad....

PostPosted: 07/10/10 5:11 pm • # 17 
You know what really burns my ass?

Flames about three feet high!

PostPosted: 07/11/10 7:37 am • # 18 
Editorialist

Cannalee2 wrote:
Don't get me going on car mechanics--had one guy put oil in my transmission and try to tell me I needed the gasket replaced--he said, " See this sludge?" Someone must have put the wrong antifreeze in...." I hit the roof--already a year before had had that gasket replaced, a very expensive job...i was hot...he said, ' We can flush the system for you for an extra $100 but i'm pretty sure you will need the gasket replaced..."   I replied,"oh, I will indeed have to get the system flushed, but you won't be doing it, and you better pray I don't have to replace the gasket!"  The oil on the surface of this sludge was clean oil, not at all dirty...i was hopping mad...I'd worked so hard taking good care of my little car (i get 40/mpg right after an oil change on highway driving) and i was furious--I really wanted to hurt that mechanic really bad....
I feel your pain. They think we are all like the blonde who wanted a "710" cap for her car. Read it upside down.

PostPosted: 07/12/10 3:24 am • # 19 
Editorialist

I was totally peeved about the car mechanic issue one time.  I ended upgetting the service manager fired.  That was not my intent- I just wanted my car fixed but it probably helped other people who came into the dealership after me.

I had an electrical problem with my Mercedes.  Anyone who knows these cars knows the "electrical problem" is legendary in being hard to diagnose.  I explained to the service manager why I was sure that it was not the battery or alternator, but that it had to be something drawing all of the power out of the system- the battery would hold charge and would run fine all day when I was using the car off and on every few hours.  It would even last overnight and start the next day.  But when I did not use the car for a few days it would come up dead.  I went to pick up my car that night and they had replaced the battery at a cost of $400.  The service manager had left for the day and I was fuming mad.  Two days later I had my dead car towed back in and I went off.  I was immediately assigned a new service manager ( never saw the old one again) and the power seat system was replaced and the interior lighting system was replaced at no cost to me after four days in the shop.  I had a nice MB SUV fully loaded loaner for the time.  I wnet to pick up my car after being told it was ready and waited almost two hours in the waiting room being told- oh, they are just washing it for you, it will be right out.  They loaned me another car to go pick up my daughter and when I returned, they told me to keep the loaner, they had lost my key but a tech probably just went home with it in his pocket and they would get it for me the next day.  They admitted the next day that they did not have the key and they would have to order one from Texas and it takes four days and they need my other key to reprogram them togehter.  I was pretty reluctant to give them my other key and I now send my husband to get all of my car repairs.  I refuse to be patronized any more.

PostPosted: 07/12/10 3:24 am • # 20 
Editorialist

Oh yeah, and I hate when people misuse of and have.

PostPosted: 07/12/10 4:38 am • # 21 
Administrator

Yeah! I could of mentioned that, too. Gramps even does that, and it creeps me out.
In Germany they teach us the obviously wrong way, as in "I could have mentioned that"

PostPosted: 07/12/10 4:58 am • # 22 
Editorialist

jabra2 wrote:
Yeah! I could of mentioned that, too. Gramps even does that, and it creeps me out.
In Germany they teach us the obviously wrong way, as in "I could have mentioned that"
would of, could of, should of...don't go blaming Germany for nothing you couldn't of re- learnt!  ( omg my fingers are burning from typing that!)

PostPosted: 07/12/10 5:49 am • # 23 
Administrator

I remember a post from Brotherrogue on the old MSN board, some ten years ago, where I saw that the first time. It took me forever to figure out what he meant. It just didn't make sense.

PostPosted: 07/13/10 2:46 am • # 24 
Editorialist

The "could of" "would of" comes from the contractions "could've" and "would've" which sound the same. I guess they did not cover contractions in some schools. Image 

PostPosted: 07/13/10 7:14 am • # 25 
Editorialist

my pet peeve is just sunburn.  You guys need to get out more.

Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 23  Next   Page 1 of 23   [ 565 posts ] New Topic Add Reply