It is currently 05/20/24 8:20 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 23  Next   Page 3 of 23   [ 565 posts ]
 Post subject: Pet peeve(s) of the day
PostPosted: 07/28/10 3:58 pm • # 51 
Editorialist

The scissors are never around when I need them - they go into hiding.  It's a conspiracy!

PostPosted: 07/29/10 2:21 am • # 52 
Editorialist

Seedless watermelon- It's nearly impossible to find unadulterated watermelon around here!

PostPosted: 07/29/10 4:33 am • # 53 
Editorialist

Sidartha wrote:
Use scissors...
That's not the point. The seam is there for a reason, it should open dammit! lol

Like perforated things. They are never perforated enough to tear properly without doing the bendy thing and even then they don't tear right. Perforations are just a suggestion, I guess. "You can try to tear here, but good luck!" lolol

The scissors are conspiring with scissors around the world. They meet in a remote area and scheme about hiding places, along with my glasses.

PostPosted: 07/29/10 6:38 am • # 54 
Editorialist

roseanne wrote:
Sidartha wrote:
Use scissors...
That's not the point. The seam is there for a reason, it should open dammit! lol

Like perforated things. They are never perforated enough to tear properly without doing the bendy thing and even then they don't tear right. Perforations are just a suggestion, I guess. "You can try to tear here, but good luck!" lolol

The scissors are conspiring with scissors around the world. They meet in a remote area and scheme about hiding places, along with my glasses.
And keys, don't forget keys. 

PostPosted: 07/29/10 9:01 am • # 55 
Editorialist

For the second time at the same store, I got a Slurpee that wasn't the flavor it was supposed to be.  

First time it was supposed to be cherry, but it was coconut. Blech. I didn't find out until I got all the way home, and I wound up dumping it, it was that awful.

Today, it was supposed to be root beer. It was brown, but tasted like.....coconut!!! I told the clerk, he laughed and said it was pina colada. I asked why it was labeled root beer, he had no answer. But at least I checked before I left the store.

Can't even trust a damn Slurpee machine these days. Humph!

PostPosted: 07/30/10 4:13 am • # 56 
Glasses.... I need them to find them. I have a pair in the kitchen - a pair in the livingroom - a pair in my pack and a pair I bring with me on the road. Yet... take the buggers of and all of a sudden "Where the frack did they go?????"

I swear that the parts of the glasses that go over the ears - they aren't arms - THEY'RE LEGS!

PostPosted: 07/30/10 4:25 am • # 57 
Editorialist

Hey Sid- that's exactly why I switched to contacts- eyesight on demand and you can't lose 'em, well, mostly.

PostPosted: 07/30/10 4:28 am • # 58 
Administrator

queenoftheuniverse wrote:
Hey Sid- that's exactly why I switched to contacts- eyesight on demand and you can't lose 'em, well, mostly.

I use non-prescription "readers" ~ they serve their purpose well, but I admit I have become more dependent on them ~ but the thought of intentionally putting anything into my eyes makes me cringe ~ Image

Sooz

PostPosted: 07/30/10 5:39 am • # 59 
Editorialist

sooz08 wrote:
queenoftheuniverse wrote:

I use non-prescription "readers" ~ they serve their purpose well, but I admit I have become more dependent on them ~ but the thought of intentionally putting anything into my eyes makes me cringe ~ Image

Sooz
Yeah it does take some time and effort to get over your natural survival responses

PostPosted: 07/30/10 6:01 am • # 60 
Editorialist

Sidartha wrote:
Glasses.... I need them to find them. I have a pair in the kitchen - a pair in the livingroom - a pair in my pack and a pair I bring with me on the road. Yet... take the buggers of and all of a sudden "Where the frack did they go?????"

I swear that the parts of the glasses that go over the ears - they aren't arms - THEY'RE LEGS!

Oh yeah! Those darn reading glasses. I have one pair that is rimless with thin arms. They "disappear" on a desk top or table. I need my glasses to find my glasses. I have 5 pair, 4 at home and one at work.......plus a spare I found on the stairs. rofl.

sooz, I've gone from the 1.00 magnification to 2.25 in the last 10 years.Image  In order to pluck my eyebrows properly, I use a 5x mirror AND my glasses.LOL! I decided to just try with  my glasses one day and saw all the hairs I'd been missing. OMG! THEN I saw this one LONG grey hair growing out of my chin. Image No wonder my young clients/residents looked at me funny. Image 

I really, really need to get an exam because now my distance vision is slightly worse. I think it's mostly my astigmatism which I've had for years.

PostPosted: 07/31/10 1:12 am • # 61 
Administrator

Still no invitation to Rhinebeck and I reckon it would be too late by now anyway. What gives, Bill? Image

PostPosted: 08/03/10 7:57 am • # 62 
Editorialist

Immigrants who feign lack of understanding to get what they want and on top of that, must be overly-dramatic about a situation.

PostPosted: 08/03/10 8:54 am • # 63 
Conservatives....

Need I say more?

PostPosted: 08/03/10 12:43 pm • # 64 
Administrator

roseanne wrote:
Immigrants who feign lack of understanding to get what they want and on top of that, must be overly-dramatic about a situation.
Emigrants who bitch about immigrants....that's funny. Image

PostPosted: 08/03/10 3:34 pm • # 65 
Editorialist

jabra2 wrote:
roseanne wrote:
Emigrants who bitch about immigrants....that's funny. Image
Image True enough. At least I speak English and can't claim misunderstanding. Well......that is, if I don't have to speak to Immigration. I did have to ask to speak to someone else when a French-Canadian with a "tick haccent" was hard to understand.Image
FFS, I couldn't get transferred, I had to call back and get in the damned 20-minute-wait que with no guarantee that I would get anyone who was easier to understand. grrrrr.

PostPosted: 08/04/10 8:55 pm • # 66 
Didn't know how to put this into a thread so decided since I was "ticked" that this was a good spot--but it seriously is more than a "pet peeve"--I'm furiously angry Image but hopefully after I "vent" I'll feel better and be able to go to bed....I work a specialized rehab/physical therapy unit in a local hospital.  Ever since the Medicare laws re rehab changed, we have been in a struggle to keep our census up--our number of patients goes up and down...wwe have this "staffing grid"supposedly written in "stone" that we are obliged to go by:  if the census is 10, we are allowed 2 nurses, one aide (not counting therapists during the daytime), if we have 11 patients, still one aide, two nurses....if we have 12 or more patients, we are allowed two aides, two nurses...15 pts. we can have 3 nurses and two aides...8 patients or less and we can only have two nurses, no aides...when census is down, we take turns being "cancelled", using vacation time to fill in the paycheck...none of the aides are taking any "vacation" off as it is all going to "fill in the paycheck" of cancelled hours...Anyway, you get the drift...when an aide has 11 pts. it's a ratio of 1 to 11; when there are 12 it drops to a ratio of 1 to 6....so your "productivity" (work load) increases when census hovers around 10 or 11--Tuesday afternoon our census went up to 12 but i was told there was no other aide to help--I told them of a friend who was willing to come in and since the grid called for 2 aides they should call her...they did after i kept mumbling about the CEO's 12,000,000 dollar raise.Image
Well, this Wednes. census dropped to 10 and it was my turn to be cancelled for 5 hrs...they needed me the last 5 hrs. of my shift...our dept. head is on vacation, and the house supervisor and director of nursing (a new one who doesn't understand rehab pts. at all and how heavy they are) decided that our 2 nurses could do all the care and they could send me home (after i just got there) and they cancelled the girl who was supposed to take my place at midnight...
My charge nurse hit the roof and refused to send me home...she brought up safety considerations and pointed out if a patient went sour, it would be extremely dangerous for the floor etc..etc.  They were trying to cut us even tighter than the abominable grid....at the end of my shift the nurses asked if i would mind staying and helping for a couple of more hours which since I had already been shorted 5 hrs. I agreed to...It is quite maddening what is going on--at 1230 Wednesday they still hadn't made up their mind if they were cancelling me or not (my shift starts at 2pm) and I put myself on call, and told them to call me if they needed me before 7pm...then I get there as agreed with day shift Charge nurse, and eve supervisor tries to send me home (it wasn't personal:  she was just counting "heads" and decided to cut staff)  All of us take turns almost daily going through this...per the dept head, if I don't get all my hours during week, I "can" work Saturday 7-3 (one of my days off) to make up the missing hrs....last pay period I logged 85 hrs. doing this....I worked couple of hrs extra Mon, worked couple of hrs. extra tonight, will work 8 hrs. Sat. to make up the 5 "missing:" hrs. from today  (most likely, unless someone starts doing some math) and will end up with about 7 hrs. overtime when they don't want overtime....It's a blessing as far as I'm concerned, but a mess trying to keep track and work it out...and i don't get two days off together doing this...but it's a living, and a job, at a time when jobs are precious...and gee, I feel better already!Image   Nitey nite!

PostPosted: 08/04/10 9:42 pm • # 67 
Administrator

I bet it takes a huge department full of pencil pushers to keep track of and audit hours/patient numbers/ vacation time/over time etc. to save a buck. It takes smarts to develop such a complicated system. Now you know why the CEO deserves his raise.

PostPosted: 08/05/10 6:29 am • # 68 
Editorialist

I spent the past two hours trying to contact someone in NC to investigate a case of animal neglect/cruelty, but no luck. I'm pissed.

This gal posted photos on FB of her dog, and the puppies she's trying to sell online. I can CLEARLY see the ribs and backbone of this poor mama dog. I commented that she looked really thin ( maybe it's a foster situation, you never know) but the response was "Oh, she always looks like that".

I have her name, I have the town she lives in, tracked down their animal control and called ( long distance), but they refuse to attempt anything without an address.

GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRImage

PostPosted: 08/05/10 12:39 pm • # 69 
Editorialist

Chaos333 wrote:
I spent the past two hours trying to contact someone in NC to investigate a case of animal neglect/cruelty, but no luck. I'm pissed.

This gal posted photos on FB of her dog, and the puppies she's trying to sell online. I can CLEARLY see the ribs and backbone of this poor mama dog. I commented that she looked really thin ( maybe it's a foster situation, you never know) but the response was "Oh, she always looks like that".

I have her name, I have the town she lives in, tracked down their animal control and called ( long distance), but they refuse to attempt anything without an address.

GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRImage
Sounds like a backyard breeder, about as low as those puppy mills.  I'm very new at the FB thing but could you alert other FB animal lovers about her?  The power of the internet and all that...

PostPosted: 08/06/10 4:58 am • # 70 
Editorialist

I thought about it...but I don't want to rock the boat too soon and have her take the pictures down.

PostPosted: 08/11/10 12:37 am • # 71 
Editorialist

Toilet paper or paper towels that are spot-welded and you must unroll yards before it starts tearing off properly. Those items aren't cheap.

PostPosted: 08/11/10 1:42 pm • # 72 
Spot welded toilet paper???? What are you using? Sheet metal?

[img]/domainskins/bypass/img/smileys/wink.gif[/img]

PostPosted: 08/13/10 1:54 am • # 73 
Doctors who admit patients to the hospital and call the rash 'cellulitus" because they (the doctors) are too lazy to do a skin scraping to determine the "cellulitus" is in fact scabies...exposing numerous staff to the risk of contracting the little buggers...Image  Equally maddening are nurses who transfer untreated or under-treated patients with head lice (the kind that stand up on the head and wave at the caregiver) to an unsuspecting 'other floor" (like a rehab floor!)Image  It is not nice to pass along the lice!  So far I'm ok...not sure about some of my co-workers!

PostPosted: 08/13/10 2:02 am • # 74 
Head nurses who ask a nurse or nurse assistant who is supposed to get off at midnight if they would please stay and work all night--they don't ask you this favor until you report for evening shift (last nite was supposed to be a "short night--7p until midnight) but instead turned into 7p until 0745...with of course no sleep since I wasn't expecting to be up all nite...nitey nite...

PostPosted: 08/13/10 11:46 am • # 75 
Administrator

Billy Mays extended commercials on the History Channel. I think it's macabre after midnight.

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 23  Next   Page 3 of 23   [ 565 posts ] New Topic Add Reply